Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Jubilee
Engineer
Engineer

More map sizes

Post by Jubilee »

Hi.

It would be nice to have more map sizes available. In multi-player, perhaps this causes some trouble, so what about having them in single player? Is it feasible?

P.S.: The feature request was inspired by the fact that i find 128x128 too small and 256x256 too large for my taste, so i believe an 192x192 would be nice to have.
-----
Chaney 'Jubilee' (Steam powered)
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Re: More map sizes

Post by PikkaBird »

At the risk of stating the obvious, have you considered 128 x 256? :)
J0anJosep
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by J0anJosep »

Jubilee wrote:P.S.: The feature request was inspired by the fact that i find 128x128 too small and 256x256 too large for my taste, so i believe an 192x192 would be nice to have.
There are technical reasons for using only powers of two. If a 256x256 map is too big for you, you can edit the scenario to your preferences and then start playing.
Formerly known as Juanjo
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Just make 2 64 tile wide areas water alongside the edges.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

I often make a 1024x64 map because I mainly play on 64x64 but sometimes I want more, and instead of starting a new game I just move a bit the viewport and continue to build.

Just kidding, I really play 1024x64 but the real reason is that it makes a nice challenge to connect the industries, as sometimes there are only 1 of a type on the other side of the map.
The "64" part of the map allows to keep focus on the entire local situation instead of having to move all around the map.
Jubilee
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Jubilee »

Thanks to everyone for the many interesting ideas. I was aiming for the easy solution where you select the size and the engine does the rest, but since it's not that easy...

I'm currently trying Juanjo's idea, since i don't like non-square maps, it takes some time though and it's a little tiresome.

Expanding Juanjo's idea, it would be nice if in the "create a new map" dialog, there was a way to define the number of tiles (perhaps separate on each side) you want the sea to consume from the edge of the map (like "padding" the sea), instead of it being fixed in the subroutine that creates the map. That would not break the "powers of two" rule and it could create a smaller map.
-----
Chaney 'Jubilee' (Steam powered)

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”