Seasons

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Seasons

Post by Redirect Left »

This isn't so much a suggestion as a 'can this be done using gamescripts or GRFs' - but if there is interest in the idea, perhaps it can be added to the list of possible things with scripts or GRFs.

So, in OpenTTD, we have temperate, sub-tropical & sub-arctic. toyland doesn't exist
We'll ignore sub-tropical, as that'll be way too over the top. But would it be possible to make a script or GRF that depending on the months, alternates the tiles and not the industries and other related attributes of the usual climates, to give the effect of seasons passing. Obviously, they'd need to slowly phase into the new climate, similar to how a farms fields grow and disappear, rather than an eye blinding switch of colors immediately.

If not possible due to the fixed coding of the differing climates, is it possible to make a GRF that contains all of the tile sets, and then have THAT do it? That'd also allow for more than the two seasons suggested above, if I, you, or anyone, made enough tilesets to do this?
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Seasons

Post by Wahazar »

Variable snow line grfs are for that. My favourite is Opengfx+Landscape with alpine settings.
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Ditto. Load up OoenGFX+ Landscape in Arctic, set variable snowline to 0 in winter and some high amount in summer, and enable temperate grass.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Cheers. I didnt know OpenGFX had that. I'll go have fun with it!
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

I'd be up for a toyland season.

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Redirect Left wrote:Cheers. I didnt know OpenGFX had that. I'll go have fun with it!
Try it with a Daylength patch set to a long period. You'll really notice just how neat this combo is.
ANIKHTOS
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ANIKHTOS »

kamnet wrote:
Redirect Left wrote:Cheers. I didnt know OpenGFX had that. I'll go have fun with it!
Try it with a Daylength patch set to a long period. You'll really notice just how neat this combo is.

one question does snow have any effect on the speed of things or it is eye candy??
because if snow has effect on speed making them slower
that will add up a new challenge in the game with not all months being able to have the same transport capability??
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Doesn't matter for vehicle speeds, but if towns go from below snowline to above snowline ... for example Japanese set with FIRS ... you'll need to deliver food "for the winter" so they can grow.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

ANIKHTOS wrote: does snow have any effect [?]
IIRC, the old AlpineClimate set had farms which didn´t produce anything in winter (i.e. above variable snowline).
no-production-in winter.png
no-production-in winter.png (301.79 KiB) Viewed 2766 times
regards
Michael
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Right. I think variable snow-line there also makes the ... not-feature ... that fields don't regrow more obvious. They just stay in "perma-summer" area and get deleted above snowline. So if you want a "real seasons" thing where everything is snow in winter then you might want regrowing farm fields, too.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Farm fields are vanishing above snow line and reappear again after spring. It is great time to build railway lines, in case of extreme economy settings :)

ECS farm productivity drop if above snow line.
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

McZapkie wrote:Farm fields are vanishing above snow line and reappear again after spring. It is great time to build railway lines, in case of extreme economy settings :)

ECS farm productivity drop if above snow line.
It still produces a lot in snow. Still, ECS normally spawns lots of industries, thus there are farms under the snowline. Unless your land is in permanent snow like mine ! This forces you to use Permanent Snow Coast Tiles though...

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”