Food for thought

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Food for thought

Post by Gwyd »

So I've been thinking about the "impossible", or at least impossible for OpenTTD. So I've made visual edits showing them if they were to happen.
First: diagonal stations.
Attachments
DiagonalsThought.png
DiagonalsThought.png (59.98 KiB) Viewed 3297 times
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Re: Food for thought

Post by Gwyd »

And some smart diagonal level crossings...
Attachments
DiagonalLevelThought.png
DiagonalLevelThought.png (10.57 KiB) Viewed 3289 times
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

FWIW, diagonal and sloped stations are less impossible than you might think, but only a little work was ever done of them, more than 10 years ago as I recall.

Some work has been done on diagonal crossings a long time ago too. One issue is that the the two tiles are kind of like two separate crossings, and you need to be able to close both at once without trapping RVs. Search for something like "close adjacent level crossings", I believe there once were some patches to that effect.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Diagonal stations: I know I saw a topic about it several years ago, and that topic was several years before that IIRC, and I thought it included pictures and some semi-functional code. However, all I can find right now is this 2008 discussion alleuding to it, but no link back in time.

Diagonal crossings: A patch was published in 2006: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=26584
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

It would be cool but it disables all compatibility with discontinued station or road sets : Canadian Stations, NA Roads, INFRA Roads...
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

acs121 wrote:It would be cool but it disables all compatibility with discontinued station or road sets : Canadian Stations, NA Roads, INFRA Roads...
Just guessing, the version of OpenTTD it's built on is older than any of those sets.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Besides coding this feature, "diagonal stations" would be a nightmare for station coders.

But how about this one?

Probably something for cirdan´s NMF, since it´d need to store the height of more than one corner. :p

regards
Michael
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Hrrrm, Rollercoaster Tycoon landscaping ... nice. Well. A little of it, anyway. ^^;

Diagonal stations I actually don't miss that much. Roads can't be diagonal. Towns and buildings don't build "diagonal". Industries don't do it either.
Diagonal level crossings would be nice, though.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

well, i used to have working code for diagonal level crossing, just graphics were misssing. and a concept for upgrading existing savegames without crashing all road vehicles
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Pyoro wrote:Hrrrm, Rollercoaster Tycoon landscaping ... nice. Well. A little of it, anyway. ^^;

Diagonal stations I actually don't miss that much. Roads can't be diagonal. Towns and buildings don't build "diagonal". Industries don't do it either.
Diagonal level crossings would be nice, though.
Roads could be diagonal and the buildings still straight, if the entire tiles on which the road is counts as a roadside like on straight/curved roads. It's a bit hard to explain, maybe ?
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

that would be possible, but the roads would look really squeezed, as you would only have half a tile available for the roads
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

One of my pending works was the ability to model terrain like RCT, like MB show with screenshots.
But it seem to be a bit tricky.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”