About which signal I should use for Trains over railroad_JPLANOS

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

JPlanos
Engineer
Engineer

About which signal I should use for Trains over railroad_JPLANOS

Post by JPlanos »

Signal light, listen, I don´t know what Im doing wrong, the point is that Im trying to do a complex track for my trains but overall, trying to use the less possible track and the maximum train over it, the thing is that I don´t know which signal track I must to use in order to avoid problems with the trains, ok when there are 1 train each 2 stations, but when I try to put more than 1 train, may be the signal that I’m using are not suitable, at the beginning everything is a honey moon ,but after a while, the trains put one in front of the other and any of them is able to continue their way, see pictures, the file OpenTTD.png shows with numbers in yellow color, the number of each signal I have available in my game in order to facilitate an identification about which one I should use.
The 2nd file, called OpenTTD2.png, is about the problem I have in that cross of tracks with 3 trains at same time as coincidence, and the last one, called OpenTTD3.png is in order to let you see the Signal that I used and the problem created because of that.
Another thing is that I did some alternative short ways in order to give more freedom for the selection of the tracks for the train and barely the get if, they prefer the main route, I don´t know now how and which signal I should select.
Attachments
OpenTTD.png
OpenTTD.png (211.94 KiB) Viewed 3687 times
OpenTTD2.png
(1.98 MiB) Not downloaded yet
OpenTTD3.png
(1.95 MiB) Not downloaded yet
kamnet

Re: About which signal I should use for Trains over railroad_JPLANOS

Post by kamnet »

It looks like you want trains to travel into the station on one track, and then leave the station on another. If so, the first thing you need to do is change your signals from two-way (with the signal on both sections of the tile) to one-way (facing the direction of the oncoming train).

Train #1 cannot advance because Train #3 is occupying the track. Train #3 is stopped because of where you put the signal it is stopped at. Remove the signal. Never place a signal where it allows a train to block other trains.

Train #2 cannot advance because it doesn't have a clear path ahead. Train #1 is occupying the entire section of track between two signals, where you have another piece of rail joining it. Place a signal before your junction in the bottom-right corner of your screen. This will allow Train #2 and #3 to advance to the next signals, Train #1 can then continue and clear the track, then Train #2 and #3 can continue.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Here is a better set-up.

1. One-way signal at the exit of the stations to control when the trains leave.

2. One-way signal controlling when train will come into the station.

3. A one-way signal on each track to control trains merging onto your exit track.

4. A one-way signal so exiting train can wait for incoming train to pass.
screenshot.png
screenshot.png (66.2 KiB) Viewed 3674 times
JPlanos
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JPlanos »

Thanks, I tried but it didn´t work, take a look this other example, I built 2 Train´stations (picture 1), 3 tracks, the idea is put over it 3 trains, the center track is linking both stations and the other 2, both side, linked to the main, the center one, the idea is when 2 trains be in one station, the oncoming train, the 3st one, could enter on it, at the beginning I put Exit signal one direction over each track, 3 total, and Oncoming signal, in the center, that procedure was applied to both Stations, (see picture 2).
Later, I saw the Combo Signal, it means, in one signal there are Exit and Coming operations, so, I substituted, in both Stations, the 1st choice I selected for this Combo (picture 3), everything was fine but for 2 trains, when I introduced the 3th one, problems began again, I put alternative tracks like your picture, Mr. Kamnet, a sort of small deviation with the purpose any of my trains, when the main way be occupied, it could get that track and leaves the other trains run, but, any of them never got that track, it was useless. I tried to add Combo Signals at the entrance and exit of the deviation tracks, but, everybody stopped.
May be I was trying to do an impossible, put over 1 line 3 trains………
Attachments
1.png
(1.27 MiB) Not downloaded yet
2.png
(1.64 MiB) Not downloaded yet
3.png
(1.79 MiB) Not downloaded yet
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Remove the entry signal. You're still using two-way signals. Switch them to one-way path signals. Then it will work right.
JPlanos
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JPlanos »

you mean remove all entry signals of everywhere or substitute them for one way signals??.
JPlanos
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JPlanos »

you are a genious, it works!!!, Im seeing the trains now use the alternative track, I tested with only 2 trains but I will try with 3, see pictures, 1 is the design, 2 shows how the trains now don`t wait for the main track free, but, they are able to get the alternative track, ot means, less time waiting the cargos in the train stations.

Now, if this sort of signal solves this problem, what about the rest, are they useless??, why so many sort of signals then??
Attachments
1.png
(1.28 MiB) Not downloaded yet
2.png
(1.35 MiB) Not downloaded yet
JPlanos
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JPlanos »

Hi again, I tried this time with 3 trains, it works!!!!, each of them on different tracks, now, the time that each train to pick up merchandise, passgengers in my case, was reduced at minimum!!!!, it means, more money in less time, more happy people too, less tracks too......
Attachments
Sin título.png
(1.62 MiB) Not downloaded yet
JPlanos
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JPlanos »

Hi, I could solve the issue with the signals, thanks to Mr.Kamnet, I could put 5 trains at the same time sharing only 1 main track line, the most important thing is every certain distances, you mist to add extra tracks, 1 per the train, very important to be into account is the number of trains stations = trains = extra tracks and about the signals, I only used Oncoming signals, each of them at the beginning and at the end of each alternative track and in each train stations.
Here you are my last game, 5 trains.
Attachments
1.png
(1.76 MiB) Not downloaded yet
2.png
(1.43 MiB) Not downloaded yet
JPlanos
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JPlanos »

Hi again, by the way, can someone tell me the difference between Mechanical signals and Electric Signals??, because yeserday I played testing both and I couldn´ see the difference, just in the price, but not in the function.
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello
JPlanos wrote:Hi again, by the way, can someone tell me the difference between Mechanical signals and Electric Signals??, because yeserday I played testing both and I couldn´ see the difference, just in the price, but not in the function.
There is no functional difference. It's only about which signals was or are common in which time.

Tschö, Auge
JPlanos
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JPlanos »

ok, thanks.
ANIKHTOS
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ANIKHTOS »

JPlanos wrote:ok, thanks.

try this idea
if your main line is dedicated to one way going you do nto need alternative routes. just place signals every now and then to split the big line into smaller parts that can fit your train length

signals allow for train to travel if is free space until the next signal or depot or station

this way you break up the route into smaller parts and you can have a huge number of trains travelling full speed for the destination

well if for one reason a train stops then it will block the trains behind it

in your photos you have 5 train using 1 line track and evey now and then you make what??? what is the point of the alternative tracks??

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”