All Settings Matter

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Bogdi
Engineer
Engineer

All Settings Matter

Post by Bogdi »

Can we have all the settings from the cfg file available in-game in the expert mode, please? Thank you!
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: All Settings Matter

Post by Eddi »

no.
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

Why is this? Changing some settings, like font, in game won't work.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Conspiracy theory: most of settings was hidden by default to keep this forum alive.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

in case of the font settings: nobody programmed a proper font picker gui yet. you're free to volunteer.

also missing: a hotkey editor

but other hidden settings like developer mode or pathfinder penalties will probably stay hidden...
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Eddi wrote: but other hidden settings like developer mode or pathfinder penalties will probably stay hidden...
I misunderstood OP, thinking that he was asking about settings hidden due to default Basic settings.
By the way I see no rational reasons to not make Expert settings mode as default one.
There is lot of frequently asked questions, for example autoreplacement, which are hidden by default but, should not be.

On the other way, I support Eddi with his concerns making gui for all existing settings. There will be lot of strings to translate.
Changing some settings [...] in game won't work.
You can set all of them using console:
list_settings
list_settings <name>
set <setting_name> [<newvalue>]
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

I mean, it may not hurt to have a "developer" mode for the settings, showing everything. Also, when I saw the pathfinder penalties, I was very much tempted to play around with them.
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Bear in mind, as far as im aware changing pathfinder penalties can cause desyncs in multiplayer.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Gwyd wrote:I mean, it may not hurt to have a "developer" mode for the settings, showing everything.
Lots of options are just obsolete, but removing them would break old savegames.

Examples are the improved loading algorithm (where one train is allocated its cargo before the next one gets any), and build on slopes, where foundations are automatically added as needed.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
srschacher
Engineer
Engineer

Post by srschacher »

Alberth wrote:Lots of options are just obsolete, but removing them would break old savegames.

Examples are the improved loading algorithm (where one train is allocated its cargo before the next one gets any), and build on slopes, where foundations are automatically added as needed.
I was just looking for the Improved Loading Algorithm switch. I didn't realize it has been obsoleted. Is there a reason why? I kind of liked having product shipped as a vehicle filled up, instead of waiting for all of them to load before any can leave the station. Sometimes, they might all wait for an additional delivery of required cargoes, when before, some vehicles could get on with their routes.

Steve
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

srschacher wrote:I was just looking for the Improved Loading Algorithm switch. I didn't realize it has been obsoleted. Is there a reason why? I kind of liked having product shipped as a vehicle filled up, instead of waiting for all of them to load before any can leave the station. Sometimes, they might all wait for an additional delivery of required cargoes, when before, some vehicles could get on with their routes.

Steve
Sounds like you're talking about "Load any available cargo" vs "Load full any cargo" vs "Load full" (the difference between the latter two is only useful when you have vehicles that can carry multiple types or cargo). If you use the non-full-load order, then the vehicle will load whatever is available and leave the station. That, of course, means that if there are no cargo available to load, then the vehicle will leave the station with empty load. If you want to guarantee at least some load before traveling to the next station, then you need to play around with some conditional orders and order looping.

Improved loading algorithm does not allow you to control amount of cargo being loaded on a vehicle.
srschacher
Engineer
Engineer

Post by srschacher »

No, I'm talking about the Improved Cargo Loading advanced station option.

I know about the different loading orders. In the settings menu, there used to be a grouping called "Stations," and one of the settings was "Cargo Handling->Use improved loading algorithm: On/Off." These options now appear to be under "Limitations," minus the improved loading algorithm.

See http://wiki.openttd.org/Advanced_Settin ... _algorithm. The description for this option reads:
An improved loading algorithm, which loads only one vehicle at a time until it's completely full, before loading the next vehicle. When disabled, all vehicles in a station are loaded simultaneously, possibly needlessly blocking multiple platforms.

In case you have several vehicles (trains, trucks etc.) waiting for one type of cargo on a station it is much more effective to force loading an arrived vehicle and only after it is full and ready to go start loading next. Note that this is all the patch does; it has no FIFO attributes, and does not depend on which vehicle came first.
In my game, I'm transferring milk to a station, where I have waiting trucks to deliver the milk to the dairy. If I have more truck capacity than transferred cargo, and all the trucks fill up evenly, they all wait for the next milk transfer before leaving for the dairy because none of them fill up completely. With the improved loading algorithm, the first truck fills up and leaves, then the second fills and leaves, and so on until the station inventory is transferred. Any remaining trucks wait for the next transfer.

Now that this setting is removed, all the trucks are filled simultaneously.

Steve
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

srschacher wrote:
Alberth wrote:Lots of options are just obsolete, but removing them would break old savegames.

I was just looking for the Improved Loading Algorithm switch. I didn't realize it has been obsoleted. Is there a reason why? I kind of liked having product shipped as a vehicle filled up, instead of waiting for all of them to load before any can leave the station. Sometimes, they might all wait for an additional delivery of required cargoes, when before, some vehicles could get on with their routes.

Steve
IIRC, this is now the default action, and I think that took place sometime in 1.5.0 or 1.6.0.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”