Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

tokai
Engineer
Engineer

outdating of vehicles

Post by tokai »

Hi all,

I already mentioned my suggestions shortly on IRC, but I do it here again, so it can be better discussed. :-)

outdating of vehicles

Since i'm more the "I want to build a perfect world" instead of "I want to win against competitors" player I build the infrastructure step by step and I'm happy when everything's working. Sadly the outdating of vehicles is a bit disturbing over time (you know... "car 2 is becoming old", etc.). I know it's unrelalistic for a car to run more than 100 years, but I like to see a option which turns the aging of vehicles off.

When turned "aging of vehicles" off then it could show ">99" in the vehicle information window when it becomes older than 99 years (3 digit number). Also the "red marking" would be dissabled then. It maybe needs some changes here and there too, dunno.

But the most important is that no ticker/infowindow would show up when some vehicle becomes outdated.

obsolete vehicles

In second to that I also whould like to see a option "Don't hide obsolete vehicles". With current gameplay it's not possible to buy after some time (e.g.) old steam engines. But I still want to build them in year 2070. It also happened here that I had a lot heliports, but couldn't build any new helicopter anymore, because they where obsolete.

When the option "Don't hide obsolete vehicles" is enabled it should simple show all possible vehicles in the build list.

regards,
tokai
dominik81
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by dominik81 »

Edit the file openttd.cfg and replace the line

Code: Select all

no_train_service = false
with this one

Code: Select all

no_train_service = true
This should have the effect you requested.
"There's a readme that comes with the source. I suggest you read it."
- Korenn
tokai
Engineer
Engineer

Post by tokai »

dominik81 wrote: This should have the effect you requested.
i think that's something different. I activated it, but it didn't had the requested effect:

Screenshot - old vehicle

regards,
tokai
dominik81
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by dominik81 »

I guess you're right. But I found another switch that you might like:
never_expire_vehicles = false
"There's a readme that comes with the source. I suggest you read it."
- Korenn
tokai
Engineer
Engineer

Post by tokai »

dominik81 wrote:I guess you're right. But I found another switch that you might like:
never_expire_vehicles = false
this has sadly no effect too. Because I didn't found that option in the default openttd.cfg (build from 22-May-04) I added:

never_expire_vehicles = true

to the patches section.

But vehicles still get outdated.

They also still expire: in 1993 I didn't had one single steam engine in the "New Rail Vehicles" list (the first steam engines dissappeared already around 1975).

But the switch sounds good, now it just have to work. ;-)

regards,
tokai
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: outdating of vehicles

Post by Wolf01 »

tokai wrote:Hi all,

I already mentioned my suggestions shortly on IRC, but I do it here again, so it can be better discussed. :-)

outdating of vehicles

Since i'm more the "I want to build a perfect world" instead of "I want to win against competitors" player I build the infrastructure step by step and I'm happy when everything's working. Sadly the outdating of vehicles is a bit disturbing over time (you know... "car 2 is becoming old", etc.). I know it's unrelalistic for a car to run more than 100 years, but I like to see a option which turns the aging of vehicles off.

When turned "aging of vehicles" off then it could show ">99" in the vehicle information window when it becomes older than 99 years (3 digit number). Also the "red marking" would be dissabled then. It maybe needs some changes here and there too, dunno.

But the most important is that no ticker/infowindow would show up when some vehicle becomes outdated.

obsolete vehicles

In second to that I also whould like to see a option "Don't hide obsolete vehicles". With current gameplay it's not possible to buy after some time (e.g.) old steam engines. But I still want to build them in year 2070. It also happened here that I had a lot heliports, but couldn't build any new helicopter anymore, because they where obsolete.

When the option "Don't hide obsolete vehicles" is enabled it should simple show all possible vehicles in the build list.

regards,
tokai
i think is better to keep only the vehicles you have, not all vehicles because the list after some years is too long, like a "preferred vehicle" list
Some vehicles are useless, like the elder steam engine, and you may buy them to make a "museum" somewhere in the map.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”