Station area

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Dunderdon
Engineer
Engineer

Station area

Post by Dunderdon »

In TTD Patch there is a feauture to allow spreading of stations where widely.

I already posted a remark in the Problems subforum,
now my request here:

- Please make it possible to spread stations wider
- and think about increasing the catchment area of airports and large train stations somehow, maybe to a radius of 5 or 6 instead of 4.

This would not only make the game a bit more realistic, it would make it easier for me to build train stations with routes around the station so that trains can try from the other direction if the platforms of one side of the station are full. (that takes about 2-4 squares next to the train station, so it even gets difficult to access industries with the bus-lorry method)

It would also make it easier to build my quad-rail-system :D because it forces me to put stations where they fit between the nodes of my tracks and not where the industries or cities are. hehe.

And, last but not least, it would be easier to cover more than a quater of a city by an airport then.

Or should I maybe post a feature request on sourceforge? (I'm somehow not familiar with that)
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

I agree that the airport's catch area should be made much larger. At the moment it is a bit unrealistic. But if it is made large perhaps the number of passengers it recieves should be lower.
charlieg
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by charlieg »

DarkPho wrote:I agree that the airport's catch area should be made much larger. At the moment it is a bit unrealistic. But if it is made large perhaps the number of passengers it recieves should be lower.
I'm uncertain whether it is the catchment area that is the problem or that you cannot 'only unload' at a station (ie if you forcibly 'unload' at a station accepting passengers, you get paid for them rather than them being added to the queue).

If you could forcibly unload instead of get paid for cargo, then you'd build up a network of buses and trains dropping passengers off at an airport, which is a more realistic scenario.
Open source tycoon games
--
Free Gamer - open source and Free Software games
FreeGameDev forums - open source game development community
Psicho
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Psicho »

I think a the catchment area shuold be bigger only for passengers, and mabye should be bigger only for the airport...
greetz,
Rasael
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Psicho wrote:I think a the catchment area shuold be bigger only for passengers,
and for mail and goods
Psicho wrote:and mabye should be bigger only for the airport...
No, the catchment area should be bigger for stations too. Maybe it's an idea to let the catchment area depend on the size of the stations so that big stations have a catchment area of 6 squares and small stations something like 3 squares.

With a bigger catchment area the passenger trains will be full at least. Then you can simulate a big stations with 14 tracks and lots of very long trains. That would be very nice Image
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Psicho
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Psicho »

Purno wrote: ...
Maybe it's an idea to let the catchment area depend on the size of the stations so that big stations have a catchment area of 6 squares and small stations something like 3 squares.
Yes, this should be really realistic I think!
greetz,
Rasael

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”