Planning, Project cost, audit before final construction

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

GOID
Engineer
Engineer

Planning, Project cost, audit before final construction

Post by GOID »

Hi! First - sorry for bad english. Try to explane idea.
Real organization before start construct big project - make some research, project cost. Some times this task performed by contractors. Main purpose of this preparation - know PRICE of project, estimate risks and anticipate profits.

I know in game SHIFT+build show cost only for one section. But..

It's real to implement this step in game? Example: in constraction menu add some switch "Planning". While this mode enabled - player see summary project cost and what actions will be performed after start build (in non-planning mode), but nothing builds, nothing destroed.

PS: One topic for one idea? Have some other suggestions.

EDIT_1: After use this mode player pays some money (in game coins) - like in real life for project research\audit.
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Planning, Project cost, audit before final construction

Post by Transportman »

There are already NewGRF's with planning tracks in them, that could be used a bit for what you want.

For the rest, I think this will provide more problems than added gameplay-value and code maintainability for developers. I foresee all kinds of problems with making the planning definitive. What if something already has been built on a spot I planned something? What if I destroy something that cannot be destroyed because there is a vehicle on that tile?
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

Transportman wrote:I foresee all kinds of problems with making the planning definitive. What if something already has been built on a spot I planned something? What if I destroy something that cannot be destroyed because there is a vehicle on that tile?
i think all of those problems are solvable, they just need someone working on it.

it could be a really good feature if done properly.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Implementing real-life scenes, with project planning would be great.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

It would be a different game.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
GOID
Engineer
Engineer

Post by GOID »

Transportman wrote: For the rest, I think this will provide more problems than added gameplay-value and code maintainability for developers. I foresee all kinds of problems with making the planning definitive. What if something already has been built on a spot I planned something? What if I destroy something that cannot be destroyed because there is a vehicle on that tile?
Important point - player CAN'T build project objects just clicking on one button. After exit from project mode player got just summary cost of project (maybe with additional statistics). And i think in this mode timeline of game must be counting, not accessable in pause like usual in-game constructions
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

GOID wrote:
Transportman wrote: For the rest, I think this will provide more problems than added gameplay-value and code maintainability for developers. I foresee all kinds of problems with making the planning definitive. What if something already has been built on a spot I planned something? What if I destroy something that cannot be destroyed because there is a vehicle on that tile?
Important point - player CAN'T build project objects just clicking on one button. After exit from project mode player got just summary cost of project (maybe with additional statistics). And i think in this mode timeline of game must be counting, not accessable in pause like usual in-game constructions
So once they exit the mode, everything is erased and just some cost is returned and to get the real work done, they basically have to do all steps again? I think that is a bit useless, especially in OpenTTD where money is often not that tight after the initial startup.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

Possibly a planning mode could be good, where you take a series of actions to check alignments/sizes of stuff etc.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”