Vehicle status "Loading / Unloading"

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Attila7
Engineer
Engineer

Vehicle status "Loading / Unloading"

Post by Attila7 »

When you follow a vehicle by clicking on it, the vehicle status at a station reads "Loading / Unloading". This is not very informative, especially when we now have the ability to show loading percentage.

The issue I have is that if I put a bus station in the middle of a town, then extend it with a train station further out, the station name is only above the bus station. When a train pulls into such a station, I can't tell where it is.

I would like to suggest that instead of "Loading / Unloading", the station name be displayed.

This requires a change to the language files:

Code: Select all

STR_VEHICLE_STATUS_LOADING_UNLOADING                            :{LTBLUE}Loading / Unloading
change to
STR_VEHICLE_STATUS_LOADING_UNLOADING                            :{LTBLUE}{STATION}
and to vehicle.gui:

Code: Select all

case OT_LOADING:
					SetDParam(0, v->current_order.GetDestination());		// Added
					str = STR_VEHICLE_STATUS_LOADING_UNLOADING;
					break;
Attila
"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: Vehicle status "Loading / Unloading"

Post by 3298 »

I like it, it fits into my attempts to gradually refine OpenTTD's UI with patches. Useful, never in the way, trivial to implement, unlikely to be buggy (have you tested if this text can show up with no orders? If it can, how does your modification behave when that happens?) - I'd include it in trunk ASAP. 8)
The only problem is that I'm not a dev. I guess you should post it as a feature request on the bug tracker, and probably poke the devs on IRC too.
There's just one little thing that might come up when you get them on the case: Just the station name on its own may not be optimal yet, perhaps "Loading / Unloading at {STATION}" would work better (for consistency with the existing "Heading for {STATION}" text). Or "(Un-)Loading at {STATION}" if you're worried about the text not fitting into the vehicle window's width.

Related: A few of the other status texts could use the same enhancement. Most notably "Broken down" and "Waiting for free path" because they tend to come up frequently. Especially for the latter text length might become an issue though. I'm not sure how hard it is to give "Leaving" the same treatment, conditional orders might interfere, but maybe this could be worth getting the enhancement as well. (I haven't looked up exactly which conditions trigger this status line.) For the remaining ones, the vehicle won't move anywhere anytime soon, so displaying the destination is rather pointless.
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Re: Vehicle status "Loading / Unloading"

Post by Gwyd »

This seems like a simple but helpful feature: I like. Also, thanks for showing how it may be implemented. Not that I could implement it.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”