Pocket PC/Palm Version

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Jakal
Engineer
Engineer

Pocket PC/Palm Version

Post by Jakal »

A Version for my pocket pc would be SO sweet. Im not sure how easy/hard it is to port it over to Windows Mobile 2003, but it cant be regarding how many ports there are on the pocket pc market made by rather unprofessional companys.

I think it could even be the only version that you could actually sell for real money, because alright, only a few hardcore fans would pay money for ott for pc, because of the graphics, but it would be a top notch game if released for pocket pc. Although i would of course like to see it being freeware for pocket pc as well ;)

Just imagine the possibilities if the savegames on ppc are compatible with the pc savegames, you could play ttd while sitting in a train or plane, and then when youre back home you can continue the game.

Mobile TTD, would be sweet.
[Jakal]
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

The idea is cool, but none of the developers have one :(
We need another developer or somebody who wants to donate a pocket PC to the project
And I have not even checked what libs you can use to such a device
dominik81
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by dominik81 »

How much memory does that Pocket PC have? Because that's the main problem, you need at least something around 8 MB to play at least. That's the main reason why I discarded a Gameboy Advance port very quickly. :lol:
If it has enough RAM and if you're willing to donate a Pocket PC to me, I'll code that port for you. 8)
Jakal
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Jakal »

If u need 8mb only its not a problem. Ive got an Asus A620 a very recent model, and ive had a Toshiba e310 before, which is a rather old model. They both have 32 mb of ram. Those 32 mb are shared, so you can decide whether you want to install lots of programms and have less ram for running them, or the other way around. As i have a 512 megs compact flash card i only have a few programms installed on the ram, ie calendar and contact managing software and an mp3 player.
Cpu power shouldnt be a problem as well, as current models have 400 mhz and there are new ones coming with 450-560 mhz.
The current resolution of a ppc is 320*240 only, but newer models also support 640*480.

Donating a pocket pc will be difficult regarding my current income as a student, but a good pocket pc is "only" like 200 bucks which isnt much for such a great device. Maybe someone can find a guy with a pocket pc and whos up to write a port of ottd, would be so damn cool.

Unfortunatley ive got absolutely no programming skills, and the only thing ive programmed is my bros calculator :/ otherwise id have started working on a port myself...
[Jakal]

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”