Bring some cargodest into cargodist

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Bring some cargodest into cargodist

Post by Transportman »

Pyoro wrote:I wonder how the game would change if industry cargodist could work "in reverse"? Generate some cargo links as soon as the industry is build, and the player then has to build a network that suits the industries' demands, not the other way around :?
As long as those links would be static it might work. If those links are dynamic and change every X months (outside of industries closing and their link being removed/replaced), you would be too busy with micromanaging those changing links to keep the game fun.

But I would still prefer the old way for cargo, I decide where it goes, and I'm in full control of where it goes.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Transportman wrote:As long as those links would be static it might work.
It'd be one of the many issues that would have to be worked out. I agree they needed to be static, but what happens when new industries open, for example? Maybe unused links can recalculate? etc

Much as like the idea, there's really a lot I'm not sure about, even assuming I could code it, which of course I can't ^^ I like the idea of splitting link-generation in short-range (up to 50 or so tiles?), mid-range (100 maybe?), and long-range (everything else). And maybe there'd be infinite short-range, up to 6 mid-range, and 3 long-range connections. Or so. That seems OK for a standard game. But should it scale with the number of industries? Or the size of the map? No clue.
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

Well... I'm not sure if you know about this, but it sounds similar to what you are talking about: viewtopic.php?t=54253
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Nope, totally and completely forgot about that :oops: Well, it's been abandoned for quite some years now, so maybe not that surprising ^^;

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”