yes, eventually 22%  22%  [ 5 ]
i don't care 26%  26%  [ 6 ]
no, not really 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
no, don't you dare waste time with this! 17%  17%  [ 4 ]
Total votes: 23
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:59 am 
Engineer
Engineer

this has been discussed many times, but nothing has been changed quite yet. apparently a stock market update is 75% complete (https://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?t=69780), but i'm not sure when this will be implemented (this post was from 2014). i'm starting this thread just to throw in my 2 pesos, and see where the community stands on this topic at this point in time. my argument is obviously in favor of upgrading the stock market. the reason is because Transport Tycoon is more than just a transport game, it is also an economic game. economic games should always have basic financial tools included, simply for realism... but also for increased strategic options. Transport Tycoon does have this, but they are incomplete. with a little fixing up this element of the game will have sufficient substance. as we all know, the stock market in Transport Tycoon was never very realistic, and has problems. i will address most of that below.

1. the whole purpose of shares in real life (from a company's perspective) is to raise funds. a company should start off with all their own shares, and be able to sell them to the market (or public) to get money. this way it is up to the company if they want to be put at risk of being bought out. or they can play it conservatively and only sell 50% of their shares so that they always retain control of their company.

2. i don't think that trading 25% shares at a time is a good idea. the reason is that it potentially requires more capital at a time, and can deter more casual trading... and also gives a huge advantage to players with more money (which is a very bad thing). reducing the amount will make this aspect more strategic. i'm very hardcore so i would like 1%, but since this is not a financial game i think the default basic for most economic games that utilize a stock market will work fine: 5% or 10% per trade.

3. allow companies to be fully bought out, this is just common sense from an economic gamer's perspective. there will be no problems with this as long as #1 is implanted to the game. i think the best thing to do is allow the controlling company to select which player manages the company. the controlling company would be the one with the most stock owned. the controlling company could also take cash from the bought out company.

4. dividends: the whole point of shares in real life (from an investor's perspective) is to make money on the shares. this can be done from either buying low and selling high, or from investing in companies they think will bring in good profits... and therefore collecting dividends. there could be an option for companies to change the percentage of dividends they wish to pay out, or there could be a default amount (which would probably be 5% or 10%). increasing the dividend percentage would also make the stock more appealing to investors. it is totally understandable to have a default dividend rate though, if programmers don't want the game to be too financially intensive a default rate is the way to go.

5. the determinants for share price should probably be fixed, they seem a little too easy to manipulate. this can be discussed elsewhere when (if) the time comes.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:25 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

I guess I'm the second vote for the first choice!
I've wanted more financial features for a long time.
There should be ways to influence companies one controls but does not completely own & merge.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:17 am 
Engineer
Engineer

Baldy's Boss wrote:
I guess I'm the second vote for the first choice!
I've wanted more financial features for a long time.
There should be ways to influence companies one controls but does not completely own & merge.

this could work too. people don't seem to understand that financial tools and investment are an essential part of any industry (including transport). for example in games without a stock market you will realize that companies either start out with money magically, or take loans. the first is just an non-strategic way of solving the problem. loaning is satisfactory, but this system has to be more advanced. a working stock market, even if basic, is the icing on the cake, it simply adds more strategy.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:07 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

It would make sense if instead of remaining constant through the whole game,the interest rate on loans could fluctuate based on market conditions and performance.
And of course it would be good to retain access to your entire financial history,and customize graphs.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:59 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

Another (more advanced) feature could include your stock prices changing due to destroyed track from disasters, train/rv crashes etc.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:33 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

So far the poll for improved stock market is...
Yes: 12
No: 5

Or if you want to look at it from a conservative view...
Yes: 12
Other: 11

Baldy's Boss wrote:
It would make sense if instead of remaining constant through the whole game,the interest rate on loans could fluctuate based on market conditions and performance.
And of course it would be good to retain access to your entire financial history,and customize graphs.

I thought that the interest rate did fluctuate with the random economy.

Deactivated wrote:
Another (more advanced) feature could include your stock prices changing due to destroyed track from disasters, train/rv crashes etc.

It seems to me that something like this would already in place, maybe I'm wrong.