Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

mity
Engineer
Engineer

Option for Linerar maintenance costs

Post by mity »

Hello.

The option "Accounting >> Infrastructure Maintenance" currently offers two values:

"Off" means there are no costs and players can build large and baroque never-used tracks without any serious longer-term impact on them.
"On" means the costs grow roughly as N ^ (3/2) where N is number of tails with e.g. rails so smaller companies are not hit that much.

Unfortunately, the "On" does not scale well, especially on large maps (and given the exponential nature of the function, it simply cannot).

So I would appreciate if a new value for that setting is implemented. With this option, the infrastructure costs would grow in a linear fashion with the count of built structures so players should be motivated to not build non-sense things, but they could still build very large traffic networks (as long as they make some economical sense).

From my POV, it would even make sense to make the linear maintenance costs the default instead of no costs as it is now, but I am not sure if you want to diverge from original TTD behavior in this way.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Option for Linerar maintenance costs

Post by Alberth »

"off" means only the normal costs remain (Property maintenance in the Finances window). Those costs are already linear, I think. I don't if you can change them, but I would expect so. Try a basecost mod grf to tune the maintenance cost to whatever base unit you want it.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”