multiplayer/server

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

do you think openttd multiplayer needs matchmaking server?

yes
88%
no
13%
I don't care about multiplayer
No votes
openttd? what's that?
No votes

Total votes: 24

shadowcaster
Engineer
Engineer

multiplayer/server

Post by shadowcaster »

is this possible to add multiplayer server to openttd? best choise, i think, is to implement battle.net(tm)-like chatroom/game list system. why do I (personaly) need it? because i often play games in big LAN (3000+ pc), and i like ttd very much, but it will not be possible to play online without service like that - I will not be able to find anyone to play with :)
huha
Engineer
Engineer

Post by huha »

I don't think so. Servers cost loads of money and openttd is free, so it would cost even more money than it does at the moment.
I think it would be better to establish an IRC channel (and maybe a small built-in client in openttd) where interested persons can contact each other.

-huha
mispunt
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mispunt »

huha wrote:I don't think so. Servers cost loads of money and openttd is free, so it would cost even more money than it does at the moment.
I think it would be better to establish an IRC channel (and maybe a small built-in client in openttd) where interested persons can contact each other.
I think, the the question was to make a stand alone server program and not a real server.
I think it is a very nice idea, because the multiplayer game is more stable (? i don't know or this is the right word, but I hope you know what I mean)
mikeya
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by mikeya »

Yep this is a cool idea.

My idea would be to seperate the server and the client. That's the same as some other openttd people think. This means you have a server which runs an infinite game. Clients can join and leave whenever they want. Imagine there is a big tycoon in the server with a bit railnetwork and all of a sudden someone new enters the game, fixes himself a couple nice routes and takes the tycoon over :D.

Back to the suggestion. A system like they use in Unreal Tournament would be nice. It shows the available servers with some statistics and it features a little chatapplet. All you need in multiplayer. There is no need to make those things fancy, it can be small and quick. I would recommend to make an own system and not to use something like gamespy. You need a master-server for this. We could probably use http://www.openttd.com for this or maybe someone else in the community wants to help with that. I don't think that will be such a problem.
Mike,
Mad Dog McKill
President
President

Post by Mad Dog McKill »

wah.. this idea is exactly what I wanted - a lobby type of software where you can chat and create a game together etc.

It would be great to have this thing implemented in OpenTTD..
OT: By FIREMARK: "Limitation disturbs me very sprites. Goes it throw out limitation?"
My Last.fm Profile
My Facebook Profile
shadowcaster
Engineer
Engineer

Post by shadowcaster »

that exactly what I mean - standalone lobby software. is it possible to implement something like that?

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”