OpenTTD Modpacks

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

penguin2233
Engineer
Engineer

OpenTTD Modpacks

Post by penguin2233 »

I think a mod pack function in OPenTTD will be very useful. It allows people to group newGRFs in a better view instead of having a mess everywhere. I'm not talking about patch packs here, instead a pack that OpenTTD interprets and then there's already a preset which is all newGRFs in a newGRF pack. Another way to do this is to have newGRFs in a folder and that folder is now a preset. Example, a folder with a.grf and b.grf in a folder called presetA will be a preset in OpenTTD automatically. This also helps the people with 1GB of newGRFS manage their collection.
4 Tracks :P .2 tracks :) . 1 track ;( .
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Re: OpenTTD Modpacks

Post by Pilot »

penguin2233 wrote:Another way to do this is to have newGRFs in a folder and that folder is now a preset. Example, a folder with a.grf and b.grf in a folder called presetA will be a preset in OpenTTD automatically.
Saving presets is already possible (or at least was on 1.6.0)
presets.png
presets.png (15.48 KiB) Viewed 6784 times
penguin2233
Engineer
Engineer

Post by penguin2233 »

Pilot wrote:
penguin2233 wrote:Another way to do this is to have newGRFs in a folder and that folder is now a preset. Example, a folder with a.grf and b.grf in a folder called presetA will be a preset in OpenTTD automatically.
presets.png
But you would have to manually set the preset, with my idea, you can have a folder named G and all files in folder G are in preset G.
Kalen
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Kalen »

Making presets in-game is really not difficult and you already have the freedom to place NewGRF files in sub-folders, so you can keep all the files used by a preset (well, any that aren't shared with another preset, at least) in the same root folder if you want to separate them like that.

It's also important to manually create your presets if only because then you'll be encouraged to check out and configure parameters for NewGRF that have them, which is a step that IMO ought not to be skipped.

In addition, unless I'm remembering it wrong, I believe NewGRF can be set to hide older versions from the NewGRF list, so if you happened to have a newer and an older version of the same NewGRF in different preset folders, only one of them would be shown in that case, which wouldn't help in your scenario.
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

penguin2233 wrote:
Pilot wrote:
presets.png
But you would have to manually set the preset, with my idea, you can have a folder named G and all files in folder G are in preset G.
In that case you'd still have to manually move all the GRF files you want into that folder, and one GRF can't be in two folders at once, where as with the in-built system, you can have the same GRF in 2/3 separate presets (which, for someone like me, who uses the same Station GRFs in multiple styles of game, is rather useful).
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

I think you need a file that lists the used grfs, with their parameter settings. Such files should be exchangeable between users in some way, and probably also contain meta information like a name, description, and author.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Well, you should be able to c&p the presets from the OpenTTD cfg and technically share them, right? I guess it could be a bit more convenient with separately generated files, but doesn't seem like such a big deal to me.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

I don't get it, you want to save disk space because you have 1Gb of grfs?

But you want to duplicate some of those grfs to different folders on your filesystem? So then you use even more disk space?

Forgive me if I'm being thick. I just don't understand :shock:
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Pyoro wrote:Well, you should be able to c&p the presets from the OpenTTD cfg and technically share them, right? I guess it could be a bit more convenient with separately generated files, but doesn't seem like such a big deal to me.
Technically it makes no difference, practically however, it could make a world of difference.

People are an order of magnitude more used to copying and sharing files than they are in copy/pasting pieces of openttd.cfg files. If you expand it to the point where you can click and download such files, like you can with newgrfs now, the difference becomes quite significant, I think.
penguin2233
Engineer
Engineer

Post by penguin2233 »

andythenorth wrote:I don't get it, you want to save disk space because you have 1Gb of grfs?

But you want to duplicate some of those grfs to different folders on your filesystem? So then you use even more disk space?

Forgive me if I'm being thick. I just don't understand :shock:
Ah... Yes. Forgive me, I didn't know about the down side to this. But a system for newGRF packs would be nice. Having a .Zip that you can easily import into OpenTTD from backups is an easy way to manage and sort your newGRFs.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I think being able to export configs to a separate file and sharing them sounds reasonable.

If a user installs a config and is missing files, the game will prompt them to download them from online content. If the files involved are not available from bananas, then whoever is distributing the file will have to be responsible for distributing and supporting the NewGRFs (assuming, of course, they have permission to do so).
Kalen
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Kalen »

Alberth wrote:People are an order of magnitude more used to copying and sharing files than they are in copy/pasting pieces of openttd.cfg files. If you expand it to the point where you can click and download such files, like you can with newgrfs now, the difference becomes quite significant, I think.
If the preset section of the cfg file were moved to its own separate cfg file perhaps that could be accomplished? Or some other method to the same end.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

You still have all presets in one file, so I cannot just give you my "firs steeltown" preset. Making a separate file for each preset works better for that, imho.
Amak
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Amak »

One dilemma I find is that there doesn't seem to be an easy way to share/export saved nwgrf list presets. Aside from say hosting a server/sharing a scenario, there isn't a way to do it from within the list menu I know about (bananas for grft presets would be cool).

Also, sharing settings of newgrf would be great too.

I do like how newgrf at the very least keep the settings I appoint them regardless of if they are active or not. However, settings of gamescripts don't save. This makes it very annoying when you're trying to figure out what one you want to use and previous settings you had.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”