Shared infrastructure in base game (plz?)

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

DerekCZ
Engineer
Engineer

Shared infrastructure in base game (plz?)

Post by DerekCZ »

Okay, I know many people propably asked it, and what I saw the main reason people think the shared infrastructure in base game is impossible is because it would be difficult to maintain fair-play... Okay but that does not explain why it is not in the base, for example in a form of toggleable button in the advanced settings?

The main reason I want it IN the base game is that I play mainly on Android (and you can not just install patches there). With my friends we usualy have a nice LAN party in school consisting of up to 5 people, and some of them ususaly go full airline, which gets messy over time with airports all over the place... I mean, if we had the ability to share AT LEAST airports, the game would be way better, also the introduction of landing fees etc. would bring some more life into it.

And about the fair-play; it would be no problem, because we are friends and can talk about stuff right at the place, I guess with online mp it would be a bit larger problem, but it could be disabled completely....

Thank you for your time (short topic, bcz I do not have much of it...).
kamnet

Re: Shared infrastructure in base game (plz?)

Post by kamnet »

All it requires is for somebody to step up, fix all the glitches that currently exists, create a sane plan to address the many issues that OpenTTD's developers have found with it, implement them, then submit it for a 1-2 year evaluation process and continually work out the kinks until it proves to work perfectly with the core OpenTTD source code and won't present any problems.

If you want to bbe a part of that process, that would certainly be appreciate.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

one of the main "it won't even be considered for inclusion" issues is the payment. the person who makes the "last leg" delivery gets all the money, and it won't be shared between all the companies that made partial deliveries.

and this would basically be a completely independent project (as the issue also exists also in the base game).
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

I would love for this to be part of the initial game. Is there actually anyone working on the kinks and fails to get it into main? Might have to consider looking at the code and seeing what sort of issues we're looking at, although I'd probably not commit to it unless it was guaranteed to get in there should all the kinks and issues be worked out. I don't really work on things that aren't guaranteed to get somewhere, don't like wasting time :x
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

Redirect Left wrote:...although I'd probably not commit to it unless it was guaranteed to get in there should all the kinks and issues be worked out. I don't really work on things that aren't guaranteed to get somewhere, don't like wasting time :x
Such guarantees will not be forthcoming, and in general this sort of thinking leads to nothing being worked on at all.
Eddi wrote:one of the main "it won't even be considered for inclusion" issues is the payment. the person who makes the "last leg" delivery gets all the money, and it won't be shared between all the companies that made partial deliveries.
There are existing infrastructure sharing patches which also change the payment model to be for each leg, i.e. company payment same as vehicle transfer payment. The problem then moves to one of the "last leg" delivery company potentially getting stung by a large negative payment, and possible exploits if the cargo never gets to the destination at all.
Doing something fancier does not seem insurmountable, but is probably not a high priority for those involved given that money is a bit of a non-issue once the game gets going, and IS is only really useful in cooperative circumstances anyway.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

SPolygon wrote:I play mainly on Android (and you can not just install patches there).
How up to date is OTTD on android kept? As far as I know, it's not officially supported is it? If so, even if this is implemented into the base game, it may take a while to make it onto Mobile Devices.

What is the interest in playing on the Mobile anyway? I can understand the Portability side of it, but a mobile screen is far too small in my opinion to see everything that's going on. Like I say, that's just my opinion, and I'm probably biased as I'm used to playing on a Desktop PC.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

JGR wrote:
Redirect Left wrote:...although I'd probably not commit to it unless it was guaranteed to get in there should all the kinks and issues be worked out. I don't really work on things that aren't guaranteed to get somewhere, don't like wasting time :x
Such guarantees will not be forthcoming, and in general this sort of thinking leads to nothing being worked on at all.
It's why I almost always work exclusively on my own projects or projects I have heavy influence over, as then I am the master of my own time wasting.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Pilot wrote:
SPolygon wrote:I play mainly on Android (and you can not just install patches there).
How up to date is OTTD on android kept? As far as I know, it's not officially supported is it? If so, even if this is implemented into the base game, it may take a while to make it onto Mobile Devices.
[/quote]

Pelaya just updated it to 1.7.0 RC1 a few days ago.
Pilot wrote:What is the interest in playing on the Mobile anyway? I can understand the Portability side of it, but a mobile screen is far too small in my opinion to see everything that's going on. Like I say, that's just my opinion, and I'm probably biased as I'm used to playing on a Desktop PC.
Android now operates on a variety of screen sizes. Many smartphones are more than large enough to play a round. It's now a viable desktop OS in its own right. My daughter just recently purchased a 12" Android laptop with a reversible touchscreen for $150.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

It could be clarified whether it's really down to the IS patch problems or whether it's a conceptual thing entirely, and IS, even if with payment and such fixed, will never make it to the base game for other reasons, though.
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

kamnet wrote:
Pilot wrote:
Pelaya just updated it to 1.7.0 RC1 a few days ago.
I don't even think I'm that up to date with OTTD! :lol:
kamnet wrote:
Pilot wrote:What is the interest in playing on the Mobile anyway? I can understand the Portability side of it, but a mobile screen is far too small in my opinion to see everything that's going on. Like I say, that's just my opinion, and I'm probably biased as I'm used to playing on a Desktop PC.
Android now operates on a variety of screen sizes. Many smartphones are more than large enough to play a round. It's now a viable desktop OS in its own right. My daughter just recently purchased a 12" Android laptop with a reversible touchscreen for $150.
I've got one of the larger Smartphone's out there (Galaxy S7), and feel that would be too small for OTTD. I did however completely forget about the fact that Android runs on Tablets (despite having an Android Tablet), so I can start to see it becoming a decent size on one of those.

Anyway, apologies for going slightly off topic, carry on :mrgreen:
DerekCZ
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DerekCZ »

About the Android;
USB OTG + hub for a lil' keyboard and mouse and BOOM you're good to go :)
But even without it, the game is perfectly playable on tiny mobile screens, pelya did a really good job porting it, like the "confirm actions" feature that prevents you from accidentaly tapping the screen and building unwanted infrastructure, or if you miss the desired tile you can cancel and try again, for example I sometimes play it on my Lenovo a2010 when I'm in bus going home, it's just about getting used to it... yea my life is not that interesting :/

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”