Post by rini17 »

It would probably need lots of graphics, but spiffy idea:

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-39284294
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Circular airport runways

Post by Redirect Left »

They're neat ideas, both in reality and in OpenTTD. However, can GRFs alone actually change the behaviour of airports, for plane routing around airport etc, so this would ever be a possibility, or would it require code edits? I'd love to see it OTTD though :D

Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Redirect Left wrote:They're neat ideas, both in reality and in OpenTTD. However, can GRFs alone actually change the behaviour of airports, for plane routing around airport etc, so this would ever be a possibility, or would it require code edits? I'd love to see it OTTD though :D

I believe anything other then graphical changes need to be changed in OpenTTD code, like making a patch.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

well, two things prevent this:
  • nobody implemented customizable state machines yet, so you cannot create alternative movement patterns for aircraft
  • vehicles can only move in 8 direction, that means the closest you can get to a circle is an octagon
also, i kinda question the practical use of such a layout. a large plane will hardly be able to steer curves at takeoff/landing speed.
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

Eddi wrote:also, i kinda question the practical use of such a layout. a large plane will hardly be able to steer curves at takeoff/landing speed.
And even if it could, or the radius was large enough, presumably only one aircraft could be on the circle at once, as compared to 2, 4, or more runways across a similar width, for a much reduced capacity.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

It's an Amsterdamer, what do you expect ? :mrgreen:

Fair amount of problems :
- On straight runways, the aircraft doesn't experience changes in wind heading during takeoff / landing rollout. On circular one, they will.

- On straight runways, pilots have clear cues to take. How'd they do it on a circular one ?

- Performance is still limited to 1 (at most 2, but I'm sniffing tenerife^2 there) aircraft landing / takeoff simultaneously - you want to be upwind during descent / ascent.

- Tangentially sloped landing surface ? Sounds fishy...

- What about "IFR is foggy" ? How'd they do the ILS/Localizer ?

I bet they haven't simulated in heavy gust there !
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”