Transport Tycoon Forums

The place to talk about Transport Tycoon
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:52 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:21 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

As it is right now, you can't build tunnels underwater because you can't build below sea level.

Water is also limited to sea level only, with high plateaus having no little to no lakes whatsoever and low areas with tons of sea if you set the sea level to very high. There is also the fact that you raise the land in water, make a hole, and clear away the water to make something like this:
So it is possible to create dry areas at sea levels, and theoretically possible to create dry spots under sea level with this technique.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:31 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

There is a patch for OpenTTD that includes underwater tunnels aka Channel Tunnels but I dunno how old it is now and its not part of the stable or nightly openttd releases

# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:57 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

By the way, with more than 16 height levels in current trunk, it would be possible to define water height level higher than 0.
It would give opportunity to generate real underwater relief and therefore build underwater tunnels under shallow sea, without artificial patches.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:14 am 
Engineer
Engineer

McZapkie wrote:
By the way, with more than 16 height levels in current trunk, it would be possible to define water height level higher than 0.
It would give opportunity to generate real underwater relief and therefore build underwater tunnels under shallow sea, without artificial patches.

Now that would be interesting. Imagine if large boats were limited by the underwater geography and couldn't go up 1-tile canals and rivers.

Although the question is how would you see underneath the surface with current water graphics? Translucent water tiles?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:43 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

bigyihsuan wrote:
Now that would be interesting. Imagine if large boats were limited by the underwater geography and couldn't go up 1-tile canals and rivers.

Although the question is how would you see underneath the surface with current water graphics? Translucent water tiles?

I'm not sure if limiting ships using sea depth is a good idea, there is already possibility to limit speed and therefore make rosters for open sea, for rivers/canals or universal ones.
But having some tiles deep would give opportunity to:
[*]build underwater tunnels if sea bed is not below 1
[*]limiting building bridges if sea is deeper than given setting (there is already such setting for terrain).

My experimental openTTD server: 149.156.194.203:3979 non-standard client, now testing: JGRPP http://tiny.pl/ggnch
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, preindustrial houses, wired, ECS industry extension.
Addicted to freeciv longturn.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:31 am 
Engineer
Engineer

This is what I am looking for. Is there a way to set the default terrain starting depth? I would like to set the terrain height at 3 when generating new worlds, water bodies would also default to this height, with a depth of 1.