simulation speed

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Korvin
Engineer
Engineer

simulation speed

Post by Korvin »

Thank you for OpenTT! It's awesome! Damn, I played all last night :D . Really impressed with the level of "similarity" with original game! You did a great job!!!

I propose to add button to increase simulation speed. Current speed is very convenient when you build something new, but if you're waiting for something (for money for example :wink: ) it becomes a real pain!

Also it would be great to add TTDpatch-style patch to increase speed of airplanes (to keep realistic proportion with ground transport).
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

If you're using something larger than 640x480, check out that button imediately to the right of the pause button. The one that looks like:

Code: Select all

|\  |\
|  \|  \
|  /|  /
|/  |/
Korvin
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Korvin »

Thanks, DaleStan! I really use larger resolution. I suspected that ">>" button should increase speed, but it doesn't :(

I'll try it again (may be the increasing step is too small? how does this button work?) and if it won't help, post a bug report.

Thanks again.
Korvin
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Korvin »

Yes, it works on my office PC. I'll try on my home notebook later ...
dominik81
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by dominik81 »

@DaleStan: The button is there at every resolution. The toolbar is still 640 pixels wide, even with the fast forward button. :D I just made the spaces between buttons smaller.
BJB
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BJB »

I'm more looking for something to DECREASE gamespeed rather then to increase it.
Korvin
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Korvin »

Does it mean, that OTTD runs with different speed on different machines? It seems to me that on my office PC it runs faster than on my notebook ...
dominik81
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by dominik81 »

@Korvin: The fast forward speed depends on your CPU speed. If your notebook is slow, than it can't process all the data and most importantly not draw all the sprites fast enough. So basically the FF button increases the speed to the fastest possible value on your machine.

@BJB: There's a button called "pause". ;)
Korvin
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Korvin »

Both my computers have Pentium 4 (mobile in notebook). Ok, video adapter in notebook sucks (16Mb only) - can it be the cause?
BJB
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BJB »

dominik81 wrote:@Korvin: The fast forward speed depends on your CPU speed. If your notebook is slow, than it can't process all the data and most importantly not draw all the sprites fast enough. So basically the FF button increases the speed to the fastest possible value on your machine.

@BJB: There's a button called "pause". ;)
Yes but I cant build while pause :(.
dominik81
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by dominik81 »

Korvin wrote:Both my computers have Pentium 4 (mobile in notebook). Ok, video adapter in notebook sucks (16Mb only) - can it be the cause?
Yes, it's definately the video card in that case. Try to fast forward the game in a very tiny window and you'll notice that this will be faster.

BJB wrote:Yes but I cant build while pause :(.
Why not? Go to "Configure Patches -> Construction -> Build while in pause mode"
BJB
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BJB »

That option isnt in biggermaps :(.
Korvin
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Korvin »

So, it isn't possible to make game faster? :( Or it can be hacked somehow in the code? :)
mike[F]
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mike[F] »

Korvin wrote:So, it isn't possible to make game faster? :( Or it can be hacked somehow in the code? :)
When the game is in 'FF' mode, it is running as fast as your PC can run it. No, it cannot be made to run faster than your PC can run it... Surprisingly.
-mike[F]
Caught in the rush of the crowd, lost in a wall of sound...
VPN-User
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by VPN-User »

Mhm. It doesnt really make a difference on my Athlon XP2000+ with Geforce³ when fast speed is enabled. Yes, trains run a l itte bit faster but thats it. Can' t believe it that my machine is already too slow for this game?!? Speed Hack of TTDPatch gains MUCH more speed on my machine tough. :shock:

BTW I use the non-bigmap version (normal version).
dominik81
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by dominik81 »

BJB wrote:That option isnt in biggermaps :(.
Hold the Shift key (or was it already Tab in that version?).
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

I seriously doubt that your graphics card has anything to do with the speed of OpenTTD. I can fast-forward at about 2day/sec with my onboard POS graphics card.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”