Property Sharing

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

TheAmir259
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Property Sharing

Post by TheAmir259 »

You know that you are able to not just use another company's road, but even placing a station/stop on their road. In real life, the tracks over Europe & USA are shared by many companies. In game however, it is impossible to share the tracks with other companies. I would love to be able to share my tracks with other companies though, to make it look realistic & simplistic, as opposed to having different tracks that never meets which, in my opinion is not cool. Is it possible to have this in game? This would mean that you are able to place another track and connect your rail line to another company's line, place stations in the middle of their line too, share passengers and stations. If you're playing asymmetrically, then if a passenger from A wants to go to B and there are two trains from different companies that could get you there, the next train to arrive there and pick em up will pick em up first, just like if you have passengers going from A to B and you have multiple trains, the next train to arrive will pick them up first. So again, is this possible to be implemented into the game? And as the title says property sharing, it's not just gonna be tracks, roads & stations sharing, but also airport sharing too! This would definitely be cool, having competitions using the same stations just like in real life, as opposed to each company having their own stations, which is unrealistic.
You can also find me at Reddit. Check out my OpenTTD Screenshots & Savefiles!
kamnet

Re: Property Sharing

Post by kamnet »

TheAmir259 wrote:...
This is largely accomplished through the infrastructure sharing patch. It is not completely stable or finished, and thus currently not under consideration for the main OpenTTD development program. It is a very popular patch, though, and most OpenTTD patch packs include it. You may want to consider playing with a patch pack to see how you like it. Current updated patch packs include JGR's Patch Pack, Joker's Patch Pack, and Spring 2013 Patch Pack.

NOTE #1: Infrastructure Sharing is mostly reliable in single-player mode. In multiplayer games it frequently causes desynchronization of data and causes games to lag, crash or become corrupt.

NOTE #2: Patches are raw source code that must be compiled into the OpenTTD source code in order to function. They are not an add-on or mod that can be installed/activated/uninstalled by players. It's not very difficult to do this on your own if you are experienced in programming. Most players are not, however, and thus may find it easier to download a pre-compiled patch pack for their operating system.
romazoon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by romazoon »

kamnet wrote:NOTE #1: Infrastructure Sharing is mostly reliable in single-player mode. In multiplayer games it frequently causes desynchronization of data and causes games to lag, crash or become corrupt.
I would not say infrasharing is 100% stable and safe for multiplayer, but multiplayer games on JGR patchpack with infrasharing on are totally reliable.

I believe infrasharing only last remaining problem is the way profits for transport is shared when it involves a differents companies. (forget competition, welcome cooperation)
TheAmir259
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by TheAmir259 »

romazoon wrote:(forget competition, welcome cooperation)
Exactly what i actually intended, not about competing for my play, but more of cooperatioon, and most of the time it's just me with the AIs.
You can also find me at Reddit. Check out my OpenTTD Screenshots & Savefiles!
burty
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by burty »

Yes, this is certainly do able via the Infrsharing as the others have said. I've played with JGRs patch pack a few times (need to get it again after having to reinstall my laptop :( ) But it's definitely worth a go. Sometimes the patchpacks are a lot more fun than vanilla if you play solo but it's often harder to find a server running the patch pack for MP play.
Translink
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Translink »

I don't think Joker's Patch Pack has infrastructure sharing, certainly not with AI.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Translink wrote:I don't think Joker's Patch Pack has infrastructure sharing, certainly not with AI.
It is JGR Patch Pack, not a Jocker: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=73469

Indeed, there were some desync issues, but seems that it works now stable.
I'm constantly testing it on my server, see signature.
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
uprrfan530
Engineer
Engineer

Post by uprrfan530 »

kamnet wrote: 18 Jun 2016 09:34
TheAmir259 wrote:...
This is largely accomplished through the infrastructure sharing patch. It is not completely stable or finished, and thus currently not under consideration for the main OpenTTD development program. It is a very popular patch, though, and most OpenTTD patch packs include it. You may want to consider playing with a patch pack to see how you like it. Current updated patch packs include JGR's Patch Pack, Joker's Patch Pack, and Spring 2013 Patch Pack.

NOTE #1: Infrastructure Sharing is mostly reliable in single-player mode. In multiplayer games it frequently causes desynchronization of data and causes games to lag, crash or become corrupt.

NOTE #2: Patches are raw source code that must be compiled into the OpenTTD source code in order to function. They are not an add-on or mod that can be installed/activated/uninstalled by players. It's not very difficult to do this on your own if you are experienced in programming. Most players are not, however, and thus may find it easier to download a pre-compiled patch pack for their operating system.
What about Making offers/counteroffers to purchase other players' (multiplayer and AI) Property like an airport or a train station and tracks? And joint use Airport hubs owned by cities like how an Oil Rig has a universal station?

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”