Canal Harbors

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

AlienDNA
Engineer
Engineer

Canal Harbors

Post by AlienDNA »

It would be nice to be able to build some sort of dock, or canal-station in canals. That way you can build it a little up hill and join it with a station.

What's the use of shiplifts for going OVER mountains when digging through them (by lowering land) is much cheaper and efficient?
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Canal Harbors

Post by Purno »

AlienDNA wrote:It would be nice to be able to build some sort of dock, or canal-station in canals. That way you can build it a little up hill and join it with a station.
Yes, that would be really nice.
AlienDNA wrote:
What's the use of shiplifts for going OVER mountains when digging through them (by lowering land) is much cheaper and efficient?
In reality shiplifts are used. Besides that lowering land 'irritates' nearby cities and that some cities are on higher levels so that you need to build shiplifts if you want a dock at these cities.
AlienDNA
Engineer
Engineer

Post by AlienDNA »

Purno wrote:In reality shiplifts are used. Besides that lowering land 'irritates' nearby cities and that some cities are on higher levels so that you need to build shiplifts if you want a dock at these cities.
They have some really cool ship-lifts in Belgium. See this picture: http://www.vaart.nl/nautisch/lift1.jpg.

But if a city lies a level or 2 higher than sealevel, you need to be able to build your dock in the canal, otherwise you can only build it down the slope, which would limit the range (you could build lorry and bus stations up slope, but that's a silly workaround...)

Using a lift AND a canal-harbor would solve this problem, and really give the lifts a use.
Mek
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Mek »

i think i don't understand your question... you can build docks in canals...
Attachments
dock.png
dock.png (16.45 KiB) Viewed 5968 times
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

but therefore you'll need to raise some land.

I think that's what it's about.
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

AlienDNA wrote:What's the use of shiplifts for going OVER mountains when digging through them (by lowering land) is much cheaper and efficient?
Hmmm.... I guess the price radio should be changed in favor of shiplifts. In real life, shiplifts are used because lowering is A LOT more expensive
mispunt
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mispunt »

Mek wrote:i think i don't understand your question... you can build docks in canals...
Oh should it be that way :lol: I didn't get it worked ;)
AlienDNA
Engineer
Engineer

Post by AlienDNA »

Bjarni wrote:Hmmm.... I guess the price radio should be changed in favor of shiplifts. In real life, shiplifts are used because lowering is A LOT more expensive
True, raising and lowering land is very cheap in ttd...

And it's also very difficult to erect a hill in a city...

ships are exellent for transporting things, because you can have a thousand of them on a small piece of water, and they never get stuck. Perhaps that would need changing as well...

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”