Tunnels for canals / waterways

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Doenitz
Engineer
Engineer

Tunnels for canals / waterways

Post by Doenitz »

I think tunnels for canals would be a good idea and (don't hold me to this - I'm not a programming expert) would be relatively simple to implement, given the existence of tunnels for other transport types, hence the code is there.

I imagine that the graphic for the tunnel entrances would have to be wide to accommodate the larger ship sprites, but another option would be to limit the width of vessels entering the tunnel and have a more realistic looking graphic. (Fig. 1)

Fig.1
Ellesmere tunnel, near the house of my grandparents.
kamnet

Re: Tunnels for canals / waterways

Post by kamnet »

As a rule, one should never say, "I'm not a programmer, but..." and "... I think implementing <x> is an easy/simple idea." ;)
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Ships and tunnels are already both somewhat glitchy on their own, combining them will inevitably result in a massive glitchfest every time a ship enters a tunnel, even a default-sized one.
burty
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by burty »

Emperor Jake wrote:Ships and tunnels are already both somewhat glitchy on their own, combining them will inevitably result in a massive glitchfest every time a ship enters a tunnel, even a default-sized one.
Glitch fest Image I love that word!

Anyway back on topic... I don't think we really need this... It's already kind of possible using a bridge over the river/sea/canal and I think ships need a lot of TLC before we can start doing anything with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Somebody already made a patch back in 2007. Would probably need a lot of work to be brought up-to-date, along with new graphics.
TopTechDreamer
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TopTechDreamer »

Emperor Jake wrote:Ships and tunnels are already both somewhat glitchy on their own, combining them will inevitably result in a massive glitchfest every time a ship enters a tunnel, even a default-sized one.
There is already a solution to the problem of graphics of input-output for the ship and the tunnel - this is a ship depot: to draw entrance and exit of the tunnel for ships similar to entry and exit of ship depot.

But even better would be to use special frames at the entrance or exit of ships in the tunnel - pictures of these frames have to be one half transparent (invisible).

Ship tunnels - this is a great idea - this would be very usefull.

This question is considering in topic "Water Tunnels" - viewtopic.php?p=1181805#p1181805 .

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”