Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

kingrein
Engineer
Engineer

highway ideas

Post by kingrein »

Hey all.
im one of those people who make highways across the countries of the OpenTTD continent. and would like to suggest some new features for roads.
  • ability to set maximum speed for one-way and two-way roads (done in configuration settings screen)
  • pathfinding adjustment so vehicles prefer one-way roads/higher speed limit roads (thus they would be more likely to use highways to get somewhere while there is a faster non-highway route available)
  • toll booths(possibility, specially for those who want to be jerks on multiplayer, or just bully the ai)
  • make vehicles use both lanes of a one-way road(usefull for when there is a large line of vehicles and one of the first break down, now most of them wait behind the broken down one till its moving again)
  • make more suggestions if you want and ill add it to the list.
tell me what you think. hope im not alone on this one xD
Maybe you should try something else, or at least, think in a different way. like someone with autism, it could be usefull.
Chrill

Re: highway ideas

Post by Chrill »

kingrein wrote:ability to set maximum speed for one-way and two-way roads (done in configuration settings screen)
This could be useful not only for highways but also downtown. Why would a bus travel in excess of 100 km/h in a city center?
kingrein wrote:pathfinding adjustment so vehicles prefer one-way roads/higher speed limit roads (thus they would be more likely to use highways to get somewhere while there is a faster non-highway route available)
Well, if "normal" roads are limited to maybe 90 km/h, then it should automatically prefer the highway for longer distances.
kingrein wrote:toll booths(possibility, specially for those who want to be jerks on multiplayer, or just bully the ai)
What's the purpose of these? I'd rather see road tiles incorporated in infrastructure sharing costs.
kingrein wrote:make vehicles use both lanes of a one-way road(usefull for when there is a large line of vehicles and one of the first break down, now most of them wait behind the broken down one till its moving again)
This is very true, also with one-way roads. Then again, just play without them. What do they add to the game except for annoyance?
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
kingrein
Engineer
Engineer

Post by kingrein »

Chrill wrote:
kingrein wrote:ability to set maximum speed for one-way and two-way roads (done in configuration settings screen)
This could be useful not only for highways but also downtown. Why would a bus travel in excess of 100 km/h in a city center?
kingrein wrote:pathfinding adjustment so vehicles prefer one-way roads/higher speed limit roads (thus they would be more likely to use highways to get somewhere while there is a faster non-highway route available)
Well, if "normal" roads are limited to maybe 90 km/h, then it should automatically prefer the highway for longer distances.
kingrein wrote:toll booths(possibility, specially for those who want to be jerks on multiplayer, or just bully the ai)
What's the purpose of these? I'd rather see road tiles incorporated in infrastructure sharing costs.
kingrein wrote:make vehicles use both lanes of a one-way road(usefull for when there is a large line of vehicles and one of the first break down, now most of them wait behind the broken down one till its moving again)
This is very true, also with one-way roads. Then again, just play without them. What do they add to the game except for annoyance?
i always enjoy watching lots and lots of vehicles using roads... it also adds more diversity in the transport system...

about the toll booths, i should say those can be some kind of visualization of infrastructure sharing...
Maybe you should try something else, or at least, think in a different way. like someone with autism, it could be usefull.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

I'm pretty sure all of those have been discussed before. Not that I don't agree (well, except for toll booths, they don't interest me ^^).

It might be some comfort to know that even a modern game like Cities: Skylines doesn't have a path finder that's clever and realistic enough to properly distribute cars on high ways, especially when it comes to using multiple lanes ;)
kingrein
Engineer
Engineer

Post by kingrein »

ah well... if you could help me compiling it i would be gratefull... am trying that myself since a couple of years with no succes..
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

kingrein wrote:
ah well... if you could help me compiling it i would be gratefull... am trying that myself since a couple of years with no succes..
https://wiki.openttd.org/Category:Compiling_OpenTTD
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
kingrein
Engineer
Engineer

Post by kingrein »

Chrill wrote:
kingrein wrote:
https://wiki.openttd.org/Category:Compiling_OpenTTD
i already use these guides... only problem i got is lnk2001 errors and the like... the clean source got compiled tough... only the patched one is hating now... but i allready made a topic about that a couple of days ago....
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Toll booths are a way to make competitors pay for using roads you built,but you need a toll level that won't make them build their own roads instead...
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

i'm sorry, that doesn't make any sense from a gameplay perspective... either you make them pay for all roads automatically, or you don't bother... you could just build a road around the toll booth...

as for the other suggestions:
speed limits should be a NewGRF thing, not a game setting
pathfinder adjusting to speed limits should be trivial, trains already do something like that.
modifying two lane usage and overtaking is really really difficult, i actually doubt it's ever going to happen, but a person crazy and dedicated enough might attempt and succeed at it

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”