City Bus Stops

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

RaggieSoft
Engineer
Engineer

City Bus Stops

Post by RaggieSoft »

I'm trying to create a city bus system, but I find it so annoying to have the one type of bus stop. Where I live, the bus stops are simply signs along the road. The busy ones have shelters.

What I'm asking for is different types of bus stops. Along those lines, where can I find graphics of busses that look like city busses as opposed to long distance busses?
RaggieSoft - maker of the OpenTTD Installer (up to version 0.1.4 / Release 6)
MagicBuzz
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MagicBuzz »

Should be OK, BUT "full load" order should be impossible for these stops, or we will create enormous traffic jam...
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

Neat idea!
A pole on each side of the road, maybe even a bit curved, so the bus wouldn't hog the traffic around it and even more maybe the curve extendable through more squares, so e.g. 4 buses can stop to load @ the same stop and not hog the traffic. That would be just dandy! :mrgreen:

Oh and for the pictures of the buses - there are websites of your country's BUS manufacturers - Nabi, Bluebird, Gillig, New Flyer and also Neoplan and MAN from Germany. I have quite a few bus-pictures, but differences between the buses would be hardly visible, as they are so small...
aurora
Engineer
Engineer

Post by aurora »

following on from this, I think bigger bus stations would be cool and realistic. its annoying only having 2 busses at a station especially in big cities.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: City Bus Stops

Post by Purno »

RaggieSoft wrote:I'm trying to create a city bus system, but I find it so annoying to have the one type of bus stop. Where I live, the bus stops are simply signs along the road. The busy ones have shelters.
You mean like in Traffic Giant??? That would be really great.

But then you need 'passengers-have-destinations' because else every passenger leaves the bus at the next stop.
Jakal
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Jakal »

Yeah, good idea, thumbs up, especially because building a bus station always means 1 less building in the city, another reason why i dont use busses at all (yes, i AM a nitpicker ;D)
[Jakal]
SF3
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SF3 »

I like the large buses used in my hometown:

Mercedes-Benz Citaro G

Here's a picture of one:

Although I don't like the color, I like the colors used here more. Let me see if I can find a picture of that too.
'Misschien zullen onze kleinkinderen middelen ontdekken om naar de sterren te reizen; ze zullen dan om ons glimlachen, die moeizaam over de onbekende plekken op aarde rondkropen.'
MagicBuzz
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MagicBuzz »

SirkoZ wrote:Neat idea!
A pole on each side of the road, maybe even a bit curved, so the bus wouldn't hog the traffic around it and even more maybe the curve extendable through more squares, so e.g. 4 buses can stop to load @ the same stop and not hog the traffic. That would be just dandy! :mrgreen:

Oh and for the pictures of the buses - there are websites of your country's BUS manufacturers - Nabi, Bluebird, Gillig, New Flyer and also Neoplan and MAN from Germany. I have quite a few bus-pictures, but differences between the buses would be hardly visible, as they are so small...
There are several city buses here :)
http://www.transbus.org/construc/index.html
MagicBuzz
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MagicBuzz »

SF3 wrote:I like the large buses used in my hometown:

Mercedes-Benz Citaro G

Here's a picture of one:

Although I don't like the color, I like the colors used here more. Let me see if I can find a picture of that too.
I prefer the VanHool version :)
Because it's painted with my birth city colors :D

And... What about the AGG 300 ? :)

http://www.dvbag.de/aktuel/ausgabe.asp?burl=282
http://www.trans-com.net/autobus/detail ... um_bus=430

Don't forget one of the most famous bus in the world :
http://www.transbus.org/construc/renault_sc10.html (see the bottom with the opened rear)
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

In cities, on busy roads, the bus stops would have lay-bys/pullover zones with shelters next to them.
RaggieSoft
Engineer
Engineer

Re: City Bus Stops

Post by RaggieSoft »

Purno wrote:You mean like in Traffic Giant??? That would be really great.
I was thinking along the lines of Mobility (http://www.mobility-online.de/en). I've never seen Traffic Giant (where can I learn more?).

In Mobility v1.73 (the last freeware version) (I don't know about version 2, the paid version) there are three different kinds of bus stops:
* Simple Sign
* Regular Shelter
* A/C Shelter
All three have the bus pull up on the street (unlike TTD where there's parking spots). You can also set a fare structure and how often busses run. You can also get different kinds of busses (regular, low-floor (perfect for my bad leg), and electric).
Purno wrote:But then you need 'passengers-have-destinations' because else every passenger leaves the bus at the next stop.
Yeah. True.
Last edited by RaggieSoft on 19 Apr 2004 15:42, edited 1 time in total.
RaggieSoft
Engineer
Engineer

Post by RaggieSoft »

SirkoZ wrote:Neat idea!

I'm actually looking for "city busses" that I can use in TTD. I do like those big busses (but the system in my area (http://www.hrtransit.org) doesn't get that crowded.

I'm issuing a challenge to any graphic artist out there who's interested:

Create me some city busses I can use in OpenTTD. Have a look at http://www.hrtransit.org for an idea of the type of busses I'm looking for. I'm thinking along the lines of:
* Regular
* Low-Floor
* Electric
* Low Capacity (for the small towns)
RaggieSoft
Engineer
Engineer

A Bus Stop Idea

Post by RaggieSoft »

Here's my idea of a city bus stop. Ther could be a sign or a shelter of either side.

Prehaps more or less amount of busses. It doesn't have to be 4.
MagicBuzz
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MagicBuzz »

Born Acorn wrote:In cities, on busy roads, the bus stops would have lay-bys/pullover zones with shelters next to them.
Here? :)

MagicBuzz
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: A Bus Stop Idea

Post by MagicBuzz »

RaggieSoft wrote:Here's my idea of a city bus stop. Ther could be a sign or a shelter of either side.

I agree BUT, I would prefer place for only one bus, and then don't allow "full load" option. Because in real world, citybus never wait at a bus stop (or 1 ou 2 minutes for regulation, never more !)

So place for 1 or 2 buses could be enought.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Are there enough passengers to fill a 'stretch' bus?
RaggieSoft
Engineer
Engineer

Post by RaggieSoft »

MagicBuzz wrote:
RaggieSoft wrote:Here's my idea of a city bus stop. Ther could be a sign or a shelter of either side.

I agree BUT, I would prefer place for only one bus, and then don't allow "full load" option. Because in real world, citybus never wait at a bus stop (or 1 ou 2 minutes for regulation, never more !)

So place for 1 or 2 buses could be enought.
That's incorrect. Busses DO wait. For an example, have a look at Hampton Roads Transit (that's the bus system where I live) - http://www.hrtransit.org. If you look at the system map, you'll notice a bunch of T symbols. The T means Tranfer. Busses wait for each other there, and they're called "Direct Transfer Centers."
RaggieSoft
Engineer
Engineer

Post by RaggieSoft »

MagicBuzz wrote:Here? :)

Yes, exactly what I'm looking for :D
MagicBuzz
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MagicBuzz »

RaggieSoft wrote: That's incorrect. Busses DO wait. For an example, have a look at Hampton Roads Transit (that's the bus system where I live) - http://www.hrtransit.org. If you look at the system map, you'll notice a bunch of T symbols. The T means Tranfer. Busses wait for each other there, and they're called "Direct Transfer Centers."
OK. In France (and I think in most europe countries) there is no such Transfert stops for city buses.
Bus arrives, passengers drive up and drive down, and the bus immediately leaves the stop. It only waits at "terminus" that is the stops at start and end of the line.

In fact, waiting is useless, because there are generaly less than 10 minutes between each bus. For exemple, lines 9, 12, 14 and 16 stops of the STRD (Dijon's bus society) are deserved every 1 or 2 minutes.
RaggieSoft
Engineer
Engineer

Post by RaggieSoft »

MagicBuzz wrote:
RaggieSoft wrote: That's incorrect. Busses DO wait. For an example, have a look at Hampton Roads Transit (that's the bus system where I live) - http://www.hrtransit.org. If you look at the system map, you'll notice a bunch of T symbols. The T means Tranfer. Busses wait for each other there, and they're called "Direct Transfer Centers."
OK. In France (and I think in most europe countries) there is no such Transfert stops for city buses.
Bus arrives, passengers drive up and drive down, and the bus immediately leaves the stop. It only waits at "terminus" that is the stops at start and end of the line.

In fact, waiting is useless, because there are generaly less than 10 minutes between each bus. For exemple, lines 9, 12, 14 and 16 stops of the STRD (Dijon's bus society) are deserved every 1 or 2 minutes.
HRT, sadly, runs every 1/2 hour. So, we need the Transfer Centers here.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”