Installer

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Installer

Post by SirkoZ »

Oh and could you make a non-installer compiled version (apart from source & installer) available as I don't like installer trying to decide, where to put OTTD and creating all those start menu entries... :roll:
CobraA1
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by CobraA1 »

The installer should ask you where to put them. There should be an option to not create Start Menu entries.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away" --Henry David Thoreau
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

What's wrong with a simple zip file?
:?
CobraA1
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by CobraA1 »

Nothing, it's just that the installer should already be able to do those things :?.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away" --Henry David Thoreau
habell
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by habell »

I don't like the installer too.

It's easier to just drop the files from a zip-file in your OTTD dir, in stead of having to install the game over and over again.

It also creates a lot of entries in the registry if you forget to uninstall it first.

I like the installer, for newbies.
But I like a zip-file more.
RaggieSoft
Engineer
Engineer

Post by RaggieSoft »

There IS an option to not create entries for Shortcuts! As for getting rid of the Registry entries, I could write a small program to do that.

It would work like this: A message would ask you if you're sure you want to be rid of entries (the default button would be No). It'll then get rid of them. Finally, you'll get a comformation that they are gone.

Would anyone like this program?
RaggieSoft - maker of the OpenTTD Installer (up to version 0.1.4 / Release 6)
Vurlix
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Vurlix »

I think the installer should simply overwrite existing registry entries.
http://sf.net/projects/openttd/
Post all your patches and feature requests here.
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

Oh goodie, a program to reverse effect of the installer - I mean REALLY, what ARE you THINKING? Why does it have to be so COMPLICATED to create a simple ZIP & a readme to tell everyone to extract it into TTD directory? :roll:
I'm very sorry for those, who "don't have time" to read readmes for install instructions...
Do you think someone would extract OTTD in Temp dir, or maybe in ProgFiles/Common Files? :lol:
Just make life easier to you & us and everything will be cool. :wink:
Oracle
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Oracle »

I don't play OpenTTD really, but I think the installer is a good thing. It takes me 10 or 15 seconds or so to put files in the right place with an installer, but would probably take about 45 seconds or a minute with a zip file. What I would like, however, is for the installer not to put shortcuts when you tell it not to. :evil:
There should probably be a zip file though to avoid modifying the registry but I see no real problem with it at the moment.
RaggieSoft
Engineer
Engineer

Post by RaggieSoft »

Oracle wrote:I don't play OpenTTD really, but I think the installer is a good thing. It takes me 10 or 15 seconds or so to put files in the right place with an installer, but would probably take about 45 seconds or a minute with a zip file. What I would like, however, is for the installer not to put shortcuts when you tell it not to. :evil:
There should probably be a zip file though to avoid modifying the registry but I see no real problem with it at the moment.
Talk to CobraA1. He's the one who wrote the Don't Create Shortcuts check box.
CobraA1
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by CobraA1 »

Talk to CobraA1. He's the one who wrote the Don't Create Shortcuts check box.
Actually, that was made by the people who made the installer - it's one of the standard screens that can be shown.
Why does it have to be so COMPLICATED to create a simple ZIP & a readme to tell everyone to extract it into TTD directory?
That would overwrite TTD :roll:. Some people might actually want to keep TTD.

OK, maybe a few bugs need to be ironed out with the installer, but I don't think we need to throw it away just because of a few bugs :?.
What I would like, however, is for the installer not to put shortcuts when you tell it not to.
I'll take another look at the installer, see what's up.
Attachments
screen3.png
screen3.png (79.64 KiB) Viewed 7035 times
CobraA1
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by CobraA1 »

Yup. It was a bug. I'm sending the bug fix and some improvements to RaggieSoft.
RaggieSoft
Engineer
Engineer

Post by RaggieSoft »

CobraA1 wrote:Yup. It was a bug. I'm sending the bug fix and some improvements to RaggieSoft.
I no longer maintain the installer. I handed the NSI over to Luddie.
CobraA1
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by CobraA1 »

OK, the installer is in the SourceForge patches.
Vurlix
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Vurlix »

Installer updated. Will be used for next release.
http://sf.net/projects/openttd/
Post all your patches and feature requests here.
RaggieSoft
Engineer
Engineer

Post by RaggieSoft »

Vurlix wrote:Installer updated. Will be used for next release.
Thank-you
CobraA1
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by CobraA1 »

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”