a possible arbitration between cargo having...

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

hovering teacup
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

a possible arbitration between cargo having...

Post by hovering teacup »

a possible arbitration between cargo having destination and not having any.

cargos are given destination at the moment they take transport, chosen from the stations in the order list and acepting that cargo. this way you can serve the same cargo to several cities by only one train, and cargos are blindly loaded on the first service available like now.

the second and important point is, at the station complex a part of cargos ---typically passengers--- stays in the station to change the transport. so that feeder service to/from the airport should be possible. for this purpose cargos in a station coming from different origines must not be confounded.

how do you all think ?
------------------------
Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Korenn »

I think destination specific cargo should only be mail and passengers.

why should steel care where it's shipped to.

but even then I don't know if it's a good idea.
Snorbuckle
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Snorbuckle »

It would be wonderful, but I've never suggested it before, as I imagine it'd be very, very difficult to implement.
Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

and it should be a.....dum dum SWITCH :D
MagicBuzz
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MagicBuzz »

For goods (steel, coal, etc.) a good way should be to fix a maximum amount of accepting cargo in industries.

Exemple, I feed a steel mill with iron ore. Steel mill will accept only 400 tons of steel per month.

So if my network produce more than 400 tons of iron ore, I'll must connect to another steel mill to feed it with my over production.

Or just make the industry to by at a lower price the cargo when the max amount is raised.
hovering teacup
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

MagicBuzz wrote:Or just make the industry to by at a lower price the cargo when the max amount is raised.
that's also interesting, but my idea includes another point: to enable effective feeder services. and this is partly inspired by your suggestion topic about variable catchment area. as i don't believe that clients get more willing to walk to a larger station. it's more realistic if you connect a station at the periphery of a large town to it's centre by bus.
Korenn wrote:why should steel care where it's shipped to.
it's not the steels, but the manager who seeks to conclude avantageous contracts who cares the destination...
------------------------
MagicBuzz
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MagicBuzz »

hovering teacup wrote:as i don't believe that clients get more willing to walk to a larger station. it's more realistic if you connect a station at the periphery of a large town to it's centre by bus.
I don't know. In France, stations are commonly in the middle of the cities, and I dislike building city buses, because the way TT manage road station is too much inadapted for.
hovering teacup
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

hmm this idea seems not very accepted... anyway i gave an idea, maybe some devlopper might be inspired thereby, who knows...
------------------------
Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Korenn »

personally I think that if you want directional cargo you should play SimuTrans ;)
hovering teacup
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

yes that's a decisive argument.
still the idea that i put in this thread gives a simpler gameplay than a real destination system of Simutrans. that was why i posted it.
------------------------
ChrisCF
Transport Empire Developer

Post by ChrisCF »

I think we're looking at several different issues here.

Passengers and mail need destinations. If I write a letter to someone in London, it should go to London and not Leeds. Also, I get on a train with a view to go somewhere, not to see where it goes and hop off at the next stop. This also means that you have less dictatorial control over the game environment. Your transportation network should serve the passengers, not vice versa as happens in TT. If you dictate where the services will run, then your passengers won't use them. There's no point laying on a bus service from A to B if everyone wants to go to C.

Freight also needs a degree of direction. This presents the possibility of a "difficulty" rating:

Easy: Deliver any cargo anywhere for a nominal charge. Pretty boring, and the main reason why TT isn't much of a challenge in itself any more.

Medium: Each industry has its own supply chain, the fixed sources and destinations, however you get a reduced rate (30-50% of the full price, possibly linked to the subsidy multiplier - how evil :o) for delivering elsewhere. You might also get a reduced rate for any goods delivered surplus to an industry's requirements, with different taper rates for different goods - grain and livestock will go off rather quicker than coal or steel.

Hard: Each industry has its own supply chain, with fixed sources and destinations, which may change during the game. Industries will not accept goods supplied to them outside of their usual supply change. Suppliers and destinations may be added and removed at any time, unless a service is running in which case it is not removed until the source or destination industry closes.
MHTransport
Engineer
Engineer

Simplest Passenger Faking

Post by MHTransport »

The simplest way (without massive internal changes) is to improve OpenTTD's passengers is to generate two types.

The first time are local travellers. They go within the city to the shops/cinema/friends. They can act like the current passengers except that a station will not accept more passenger then it's catchment demands.

The second are travellers trying to get to othe places. These would not take transport unless it moves them to another city or to a station where they can travel to another city. It's not an ideal solution but it would be more real.

BTW, The three levels of targeting may be more intesresting but supply is often dictated by delivery.
A better OS: http://ubuntu.com/
Soon an even better OS: http://haiku-os.org/
ChrisCF

Re: Simplest Passenger Faking

Post by ChrisCF »

MHTransport wrote:BTW, The three levels of targeting may be more intesresting but supply is often dictated by delivery.
Only in the game, not the real world. The current model of "take stuff anywhere that'll accept it" just doesn't pose any challenge. Another idea is to change the payment rates depending on how much you've supplied. If all the iron ore in the game is going to one steel mill, then you should see a reduction in return on those services, and an increase in potential revenue from other steel mills that need the ore. In any case, the model really does need to change.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”