Cost to Build On Slope vs. Build On "Flat" Land

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Cost to Build On Slope vs. Build On "Flat" Land

Post by YNM »

I just found a silly thing : building a 12-tile bridge with one end "wrongly sloped" (wrt the usual bridge slope) cost more than twice the cost to build a 13-tile bridge, both end correctly sloped.
Maybe the build on slope price is too high ? Or is it intended ? Because it sort of destroys the purpose of having a shorter bridge...
bridge cost.png
bridge cost.png (261.63 KiB) Viewed 292 times
Maybe lowering the price could help ? I'm using r26630.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Cost to Build On Slope vs. Build On "Flat" Land

Post by Transportman »

It's the CLEAR_WATER cost that makes the price jump that steep, I think that if you would try the same one height level higher, prices are closer together.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
ISA
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ISA »

It has been so ages as far as I know? Haven't pothered to post it as a problem Seems logical too... wrongly sloped bridge will use a lot of more material as rightly sloped bridge...

And... again I must ask about those rails on Your picture! Where did You got those? I know they should be in Finnish rail set but I haven't been able to get those appear current version!
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Transportman wrote:It's the CLEAR_WATER cost that makes the price jump that steep, I think that if you would try the same one height level higher, prices are closer together.
Yeah, even the 12 tiles are cheaper. A good thing to know how much a piece of water can change the cost a lot.
ISA wrote:It has been so ages as far as I know? Haven't pothered to post it as a problem Seems logical too... wrongly sloped bridge will use a lot of more material as rightly sloped bridge...
But longer bridge means more structural buildings and materials (which should be around the same price to the filling or higher). Must be the water.
ISA wrote:And... again I must ask about those rails on Your picture! Where did You got those? I know they should be in Finnish rail set but I haven't been able to get those appear current version!
That's in 1913... FRISS Rail Infrastructure 0.5.1 .
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
odalman
Engineer
Engineer

Post by odalman »

I made the observation (related to the thread title but totally unrelated to water and bridges) that raising land and building track on it is cheaper than building on slope when the track is diagonal (ordinal?). However, when the track is non-diagonal (cardinal?) it is cheaper to build on slope.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”