Toll Roads

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Mexus
Engineer
Engineer

Toll Roads

Post by Mexus »

It would be great if you could set up a toll road so if another player or AI uses your road. They have to pay a toll to use it.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Toll Roads

Post by planetmaker »

Mexus wrote:It would be great if you could set up a toll road so if another player or AI uses your road. They have to pay a toll to use it.
What's the game play advantage? Why would I do that if I can build a road just adjacent to that?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

If you have play using the Infrastructure Sharing patch, the server can establish daily rates for competitors to use your infrastructure.
Mexus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mexus »

planetmaker wrote:
Mexus wrote:It would be great if you could set up a toll road so if another player or AI uses your road. They have to pay a toll to use it.
What's the game play advantage? Why would I do that if I can build a road just adjacent to that?
Well its a way of revenue like real life. There are loads of toll roads/tunnels/motorways in the world. I often play games for hours against an AI and at times I wish i could make cash from that AI travelling on my roads. I was thinking you could have a building like a railway waypoint and any vehicle going past it would earn you money.
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

The issue is that regular traffic (e.g. commuters with personal vehicles), which I would expect makes up the majority of real-life toll road revenue, is not simulated by OTTD. As such, any analogy to "realism" is going to be skewed.
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

planetmaker wrote:
It works that way in the real world as well. Wherever there is a toll road, it's not uncommon to find a free road nearby to bypass it. But, also, in the real world the reason a toll road exists is because it offers something better in exchange for the rate: more direct route, faster speeds, limited traffic. There are no such advantages within OpenTTD, and as Planetmaker pointed out, competitors are just as free to build any route they want as you do. In reality, routes are restricted by a lack of funding to build roads and transform landscapes, local, state and federal regulations, environmental concerns, etc.
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

Plus we always seem to end up with too much cash at the end of the game.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
Kreny
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Kreny »

roboboy wrote:Plus we always seem to end up with too much cash at the end of the game.
well it deppends.... in my game, one piece of maglev track costs 500 000 USD (inflation off).. I started at 1850, now I am at 1902 and one third of my income goes to property maintenance and another one quarter goes to train running costs. I plays also with nuTracks so I know I will not be able to afford to uprgade entire network to fastest track types.

So in "my World", this could have a place... I can pay 1000USD toll per vehicle or pay 1 000 000USD for track next to this one
Yajna
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Yajna »

I always perceive an advantage when I can send my RVs over pre-existing road rather than paying for road myself. And when I do build roads and an AI comes along and strangles my route with 30 RVs of their own, it can feel frustrating. I'm not sure toll roads are the answer (in an abstract way a company already pays a "toll" by paying vehicle maintenance), but I appreciate the impulse behind this idea.
kraken
Engineer
Engineer

Post by kraken »

Hi, look at this
viewtopic.php?t=82732
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

planetmaker wrote:Why would I do that if I can build a road just adjacent to that?
Heh. Easy when you're a human. Not this much when you're an AI !
EG0611
Engineer
Engineer

Post by EG0611 »

With JGR's road waypoint development on JGR Patch 46.0 https://github.com/JGRennison/OpenTTD-p ... angelog.md and NewGRF Road Stops development viewtopic.php?t=87252 and https://github.com/OpenTTD/OpenTTD/pull/7955 There is now a possibility that there CAN BE Toll Roads on OpenTTD :lol: .

Code: Select all

Add road waypoints.
Road waypoints:
Fix crash when changing one-way state of road waypoints.
Fix crash in road vehicle overtaking checks with road waypoints.
Fix removal of road waypoints during bankruptcy.
Road waypoints no longer block road inferred one-way state interpolation.
Now we need someone to create a NewGRF graphic for electronic or cash toll booth graphics;

ImageImage
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Gantry waypoints - NewGRF is posted here but apparently I don't have any of the decompiled source code or sprite sheet (thought I did).

viewtopic.php?t=11832

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”