Transport Tycoon Forums

The place to talk about Transport Tycoon
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:51 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Toll Roads
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:33 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

It would be great if you could set up a toll road so if another player or AI uses your road. They have to pay a toll to use it.

Post subject: Re: Toll Roads
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:38 pm 
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Mexus wrote:
It would be great if you could set up a toll road so if another player or AI uses your road. They have to pay a toll to use it.

What's the game play advantage? Why would I do that if I can build a road just adjacent to that?

DevZone - home of the free NewGRFs: OpenSFX | OpenMSX | OpenGFX | Swedish Rails | OpenGFX+ Trains|RV|Industries|Airports|Landscape | NML

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:29 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

If you have play using the Infrastructure Sharing patch, the server can establish daily rates for competitors to use your infrastructure.

Base Music Sets: OpenMSX | Scott Joplin Anthology | Traditional Winter Holiday Music | Modern Motion Music
Other Projects: 2CC Trams | Modern Waypoints | Sprite Sandbox & NewGRF Releases | Ideabox | Town Names | Isle of Sodor Scenario | Random Sprite Repository
Misc Topics: My Screenshots | Forgotten NewGRFs | Unfinished Graphics Sets | Stats Shack | RoadTypes?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:49 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

planetmaker wrote:
Mexus wrote:

What's the game play advantage? Why would I do that if I can build a road just adjacent to that?

Well its a way of revenue like real life. There are loads of toll roads/tunnels/motorways in the world. I often play games for hours against an AI and at times I wish i could make cash from that AI travelling on my roads. I was thinking you could have a building like a railway waypoint and any vehicle going past it would earn you money.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:03 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

The issue is that regular traffic (e.g. commuters with personal vehicles), which I would expect makes up the majority of real-life toll road revenue, is not simulated by OTTD. As such, any analogy to "realism" is going to be skewed.

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:25 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

planetmaker wrote:
Mexus wrote:

It works that way in the real world as well. Wherever there is a toll road, it's not uncommon to find a free road nearby to bypass it. But, also, in the real world the reason a toll road exists is because it offers something better in exchange for the rate: more direct route, faster speeds, limited traffic. There are no such advantages within OpenTTD, and as Planetmaker pointed out, competitors are just as free to build any route they want as you do. In reality, routes are restricted by a lack of funding to build roads and transform landscapes, local, state and federal regulations, environmental concerns, etc.

Base Music Sets: OpenMSX | Scott Joplin Anthology | Traditional Winter Holiday Music | Modern Motion Music
Other Projects: 2CC Trams | Modern Waypoints | Sprite Sandbox & NewGRF Releases | Ideabox | Town Names | Isle of Sodor Scenario | Random Sprite Repository
Misc Topics: My Screenshots | Forgotten NewGRFs | Unfinished Graphics Sets | Stats Shack | RoadTypes?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:05 am 

Plus we always seem to end up with too much cash at the end of the game.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:14 am 
Engineer
Engineer

roboboy wrote:
Plus we always seem to end up with too much cash at the end of the game.

well it deppends.... in my game, one piece of maglev track costs 500 000 USD (inflation off).. I started at 1850, now I am at 1902 and one third of my income goes to property maintenance and another one quarter goes to train running costs. I plays also with nuTracks so I know I will not be able to afford to uprgade entire network to fastest track types.

So in "my World", this could have a place... I can pay 1000USD toll per vehicle or pay 1 000 000USD for track next to this one

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:36 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

I always perceive an advantage when I can send my RVs over pre-existing road rather than paying for road myself. And when I do build roads and an AI comes along and strangles my route with 30 RVs of their own, it can feel frustrating. I'm not sure toll roads are the answer (in an abstract way a company already pays a "toll" by paying vehicle maintenance), but I appreciate the impulse behind this idea.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:52 am 
Engineer
Engineer

Hi, look at this
viewtopic.php?t=82732

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:33 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

planetmaker wrote:
Why would I do that if I can build a road just adjacent to that?

Heh. Easy when you're a human. Not this much when you're an AI !

My screenshots