Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

bjornthv
Engineer
Engineer

Underground Stations/Switches/Signals

Post by bjornthv »

Greetings,

I know there is a topic for underground signals, so please don't burn me down to my socks immidiately, but give me a chance to explain...

I used to play "Locomotion" a similar game in every sense of the word, exept for one crucial "little" difference; one could build almost anything below ground that one could build above it.
Ofcourse an underground airport wouldn't make any sense (Would be hilarious though), but one could use this i.e. to create an underground METRO in a huge metropolis instead of using trams or busses.
Using rails, maglev, monorails or even vacuumtrains underground would IMHO make gameplay a lot more "multidimensional" as one could, as we do in Real Life, build stations underground in large metropolitan areas.

Ofcourse this would come at a cost, but this would really, really make the whole game much more fun. And don't get me wrong, it's fun already, but it would (IMHO) just bring it to the next level, quite literally.

I did search for patches, and yes, I have found some attempts to do this, but nothing even came close to a proper working, well, something if anything at all.

I'd love to hear if this is a future plan or that it's not possible at all.

And yes, I know similar suggestions have been made for (parts of) this idea, but none seemed to have put 1 and 1 together... Unless I missed something.

Anyway, I hope I have brought an idea to OpenTTD...

Keep up the good work! Love it!
Jacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Underground Stations/Switches/Signals

Post by Jacko »

if you had been searching carefully you would know this has been suggested several times
the answer is simple, it requires too much of a recode/remake blah blah etc.
try it yourself, see where you get.
"O2 is for noobs, real people breath O3" ~ said sometime by Me

All comments from me may or may not be true and do not take them word-for-word

Feel Free to join me and some other people in The Nations Game - its actually quite fun.

1000th Post at Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:43 am
2000th post at Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:22 am
bjornthv
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bjornthv »

I don't pretend to be a coder, I merely tried to combine several ideas I had found into a more, well, comprehensable, and maybe an even more, well, doable package.

Don't get me wrong, here, as I'm an idiot when it comes to making/programming games, but making them changes/add-ons individually would be more trouble then to, well, incorporate the whole deal?

Aw, well, if it's not possible then it's not possible, but it would have been awsome.
FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FLHerne »

bjornthv wrote:Aw, well, if it's not possible then it's not possible, but it would have been awsome.
It's *possible* - anything's possible in an open-source game, even if it means rewriting the whole thing from scratch - but it would require days or weeks of work by someone who already knew about the insides of OpenTTD in detail. The devs just don't have that much free time (they're not paid to work on it :( ), and if they did there are probably many other things that could be done :D .
Temporary Permanent signature filling text. Content coming soon delayed indefinitely! Oh, and I have had a screenshot thread.
Linux user (XMonad DWM/KDE, Arch), IRC obsessive and rail enthusiast. No longer building robots; now I ring church bells.
Author of an incredibly boring stickied post about NewGRFs.
Lord Aro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lord Aro »

I believe it is somewhat planned, but it would require a new map array and while several people have had a go (see http://www.icosahedron.de/openttd/git/newmap.git for 1 example) none have been finished to the extent that they have been implemented

... Yet :)
AroAI - A really feeble attempt at an AI

It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration. --Edsger Dijkstra
Michi_cc
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Michi_cc »

I still wouldn't expect a million underground layers with freeform, smooth curves and variable slopes. This is OpenTTD and not OpenLocomotion after all.

-- Michael Lutz
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

I, too, would like underground capabilities, but I took the "easy" (read: hackish) way out and just made "fake" subways that are really road vehicles. A fairly close implementation of "all-underground" subways working within current OTTD restrictions, but with a few drawbacks.
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
bjornthv
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bjornthv »

Michi_cc wrote:I still wouldn't expect a million underground layers with freeform, smooth curves and variable slopes. This is OpenTTD and not OpenLocomotion after all.
I'm not suggesting something like OpenLocomotion, I'm merely pointing at the potential, and something that would be an asset to the game; After all in Real Life we use this subterranean "layer".
But yeah, I understand the arguments against it; Time is, after all, a precious commodity that developers (among others) don't have in abundance.
If I had that commodity in abundance I would definitely learn code and help a hand, but to each his own talents.

And please don't get me wrong, I love the game...
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Michi_cc wrote:I still wouldn't expect a million underground layers with freeform, smooth curves and variable slopes. This is OpenTTD and not OpenLocomotion after all.
And if we can find a way to do this, then that, too, would be OpenTTD.
Expresso
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Expresso »

If I remember correctly, the biggest problem was a control interface. So, if you can come up with that in a way which is consistent with the rest of openttd and it doesn't hamper game play, the devs can actually implement it.

No new map array is needed; there's just a need for a mechanism to keep track of multiple tiles stacked on top of each other. Quite a difference, don't you think?
Lord Aro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lord Aro »

Expresso wrote:...No new map array is needed; there's just a need for a mechanism to keep track of multiple tiles stacked on top of each other....
I'm no expert on this, but i think you just contradicted yourself... ;)
AroAI - A really feeble attempt at an AI

It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration. --Edsger Dijkstra
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

My answer would be : Its not impossible, its only takes a longer time... to rewrite the code from scratch, maybe.
TBH, OpenTTD maps is likely not a 3D one, so its not possible to have multilayered things and such. Even bridges can't be built under another bridge, which imply that bridge and tunnels are just a "warp" in path - transporting something from a special block to another special block that is straight.

Aanyway, if you wanting somebody to try it, theres already one : [urlhttp://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=1056091#p1056091[/url]
I believe if he suceed, it can be extended to variable tunnels too - endless possibilities !
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
kingrein
Engineer
Engineer

Post by kingrein »

would it be an idea to make it possible to build a tunnel with a corner, just like bridges selecting te area you want, and then press a specific button to make a corner.
Maybe you should try something else, or at least, think in a different way. like someone with autism, it could be usefull.
Jacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Jacko »

unfortunately you can't do that either, due to similar problems...

Feel Free to join me and some other people in The Nations Game - its actually quite fun.

kingrein
Engineer
Engineer

Post by kingrein »

hmm, that's a shame
Maybe you should try something else, or at least, think in a different way. like someone with autism, it could be usefull.
DC-1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DC-1 »

I found a working REAL underground solution in russian openttd forum.
http://forums.ttdrussia.net/viewtopic.p ... 53834dd521

It's a fully working patch on version 1.2.3, and you get 3 levels underground! There's a new special station which connects all levels.

(I couldn't port it to the new 1.3.0 :( )
Attachments
screenshot from the author.<br />(Don't afraid, the patch speaks english! ;)
screenshot from the author.
(Don't afraid, the patch speaks english! ;)
ottdunderground.png (2.69 MiB) Viewed 802 times
bjornthv
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bjornthv »

ipsirc wrote:I couldn't port it to the new 1.3.0 :(
Maybe the dev can? Would be awsome... As this is starting to look like the thing we all wished for, with both signals, curved tracks and connections with the above world...

I don't speak Russian, so a badly (google) translated e-mail might not get the message across, but I think it's clear that it CAN be done after all.
SquireJames
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SquireJames »

Looks like two separate screenshots to me. I remain to be convinced.

EDIT: Or should I say, an additional viewport taking a screenshot of somewhere else on the map
DC-1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DC-1 »

SquireJames wrote:Looks like two separate screenshots to me. I remain to be convinced.

EDIT: Or should I say, an additional viewport taking a screenshot of somewhere else on the map
I compiled & tried it myself. Here's a screenshot: Ikarus 263 at underground and Ikarus 396 on the surface. There are 3 stations, which are connected between levels. Okie, the 1x1 station grf is so ugly, but it's fully working.

Jacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Jacko »

that looks awesome
if someone could get it in English lol

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”