Playing OTTD now for a while, I start participating in multiplayer sessions on the internet. Though slowly "becoming domestic" on one server, what I like most is, that you can play on one server today, while you will be playing on another tomorrow. Doing so, you will notice that the server settings may be quite deviating from each other, which means that you have to adjust your building style. However, I find it nerve-wracking to browse through all the three (well, in most cases it's only two) setting screens to find out what's the current settings of the server you are logged on to not spoil your game with a wrong focus right from the beginning. That's why I was searching for a "brief settings overview" window somewhere that was telling me the most important settings of the server currently logged on at a single spot. However, I was not able to find anything that came close to my needs.
Trying to get familiar with the development style in OTTD, I started to implement a first prototype for the idea above. Here's a screenshot where I currently landed after some iterations:
- This overview window is read-only and does not show anything else that you couldn't get out of the rest of the screens already.
- The collection of settings to be shown is my perferred list only and is kept short by concious decision
- The window is reachable via a dedicated setting in the Settings Dropdown menu.
- Layout Design
- Labelling/Language consistency
- Which settings to show (and which to leave out and why)
- Coding Style used and where I still have glitches
For reference to you, developers, please find attached a patch file against current trunk revision 24586. Furthermore, there is also a patch version against branches/v1.2.
Thanks for your feedback and having mercy with me for my "first patch"