Diagonal roads!

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Diagonal roads!

Post by acs121 »

I do know it's tempting to say it, but it is photoshopped.
I for example saw once this picture and i first was like "OH MY GOD ! Custom bus stops ! Diagonal roads, custom interchanges, woooaw !" but then i knew it was actually photoshopped.

Let me tell you a thing. If TrueBrain really did have graphics and code for diagonal roads back in 2012, he would have released them a few time ago at least.
CazadorSirenas
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CazadorSirenas »

Oh damn... if that isn't heart-breaking as much as a game can be, then I don't know what could be ;( Why would anyone taunt us like this in the first place!

But you're right. Diagonal roads would be too awesome not to release publicly if they acually existed. Man, I feel naive... Such a pity though.
SquireJames
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SquireJames »

I recall an old patch pack, a Russian one maybe? Having diagonal roads some time ago. But my memory might be faulty.

Also, regarding that photoshopped screenshot, well, there is a long loooong story behind the person who made it (if my suspicions are correct) and it's not worth getting into.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

SquireJames wrote:I recall an old patch pack, a Russian one maybe? Having diagonal roads some time ago. But my memory might be faulty.

Also, regarding that photoshopped screenshot, well, there is a long loooong story behind the person who made it (if my suspicions are correct) and it's not worth getting into.
I do also remember someone mentioning a functioning patch for diagonal roads. However, i don't remember in what topic it could be.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

You can recreate that image with a fairly simple sprite replacement GRF. however, this will not change the movement of the vehicles.
SquireJames
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SquireJames »

The patch I played was functional but buggy. I'll have a dig about and see if I can find it. But anyways, it'd be a nice feature at some point.
piratescooby
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by piratescooby »

Was digging around and found there was a Diag level crossing included in this old Patch Pack ....viewtopic.php?f=29&t=24423 .

The Patch is so old ,would need a rewrite ..... viewtopic.php?t=26584 .
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

piratescooby wrote:Was digging around and found there was a Diag level crossing included in this old Patch Pack ....viewtopic.php?f=29&t=24423 .

The Patch is so old ,would need a rewrite ..... viewtopic.php?t=26584 .
Yes, diagonal road crossings is one thing. That'd imply a railroad is diagonal. Diagonal roads by itself is a whole different issue.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
piratescooby
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by piratescooby »

Maybe one day we will have roads on the diagonal ,curve , and then maybe canals .
SomeIndianGuy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SomeIndianGuy »

Zvezda wrote:We badly need diagonal roads! They would be damn awesome! Who's with me? Shouldn't be hard to make 'em considering there's already the diagonal rail, right? :rolleyes:
Me too!
Hi guys!
Nothing to put here!
lukasz1985
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by lukasz1985 »

There should be a bounty for making diagonal roads, lets say 10000$.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

so if i implemented diagonal roads, you pay me 10000$?
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

What would that do to cities anyway? Was there ever any discussions how houses would be placed there? Or are we just expected that MagicPerson that creates diagonal roads also redraws and recodes every house GRF? ^^;
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

I mean, couldn't curved roads (i.e. 90° bends) just be redrawn straight across tiles? Then the game could theoretically be patched to change the movement across the tile?
lukasz1985
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by lukasz1985 »

Pyoro wrote:What would that do to cities anyway? Was there ever any discussions how houses would be placed there? Or are we just expected that MagicPerson that creates diagonal roads also redraws and recodes every house GRF? ^^;
Look at SimCity 4 - the houses are next to diagonal roads.
lukasz1985
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by lukasz1985 »

Eddi wrote:so if i implemented diagonal roads, you pay me 10000$?
This could be done through some sort of a fundraiser. Maybe it would work?
luxtram
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by luxtram »

lukasz1985 wrote:
Eddi wrote:so if i implemented diagonal roads, you pay me 10000$?
This could be done through some sort of a fundraiser. Maybe it would work?
I was thinking on the same lines but I doubt that there is this much money out there. Maybe 1000.
California City Sets viewtopic.php?t=76786
1000 building set viewtopic.php?t=75250
Captain Rand
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Captain Rand »

Pyoro wrote:What would that do to cities anyway? Was there ever any discussions how houses would be placed there? Or are we just expected that MagicPerson that creates diagonal roads also redraws and recodes every house GRF? ^^;
This is something I've thought about too. Obviously the answer is no. Existing house sets won't be recoded/drawn. I expect they would line the road at the same angle they would if the road was orthogonal - that is, if they even worked at all.
The solution could be add-on sets of diagonal houses. They would need to be coded so that they only line diagonal roads, and normal houses would need to be prevented from doing so without breaking existing sets.

There's something else to think about too. If you made a grid of diagonal roads the illusion of 3D would be lost. As an experiment, try making a grid of diagonal rails, you'll see what I mean. Diagonal houses would look "flat", also ruining the illusion.

I think that if diagonal roads were ever implemented, then they should only be able to be built by a player - that is leave the game to create roads and towns normally. Perhaps diagonal houses could be placed by the player, and even in that case only as objects (you would have to swap out to the scenario editor to place actual houses manually, also requiring another patch). Thinking about this further, you wouldn'be able to place a diagonal house (or object) directly next to a diagonal road as sections of road and house would have to occupy the same tile, so that's another problem that would need to be overcome. Personally, I could live with the "glitch" of having orthogonal houses along a diagonal road, but then I'd only build short sections anyway, to get rid of those stretches where you have to use a zigzag (which I think looks ridiculous), or as on/off ramps to a motorway (that would be really cool!)

Another thing. Lets say you built a stretch of diagonal road to extend a town, and then continued with orthogonal roads. Would the town recognize this and continue building houses on the orthogonal roads? Would the town continue building orthogonal roads after a diagonal section? Towns do recognize player built roads and continue building houses (and road), even after a long tunnel, for example. At first glance it seems like that could be one possible solution - treat diagonal roads as a "wormhole" like bridges or tunnels, but then you couldn't have junctions on the diagonal sections, so the wormhole idea is probably not viable or practical.
Speaking of diagonal wormholes - as in bridges and tunnels, would these also be coded (and drawn, in the case of bridges)? It'd be really cool if the answer is yes. Maybe that could be applied to rail as well if they were.

How about bus and truck stops? Would we get diagonal versions of those too. Could that lead to diagonal railway stations? Diagonal runways at airports? While we're at it, why not diagonal rivers and canals? Diagonal aqueducts?
"Couldn't you reuse the same code?" :roll: Maybe. A bit. Kind of.

Diagonal roads would be really cool, and I'd love to be able to use them, but I doubt it's going to happen anytime soon, if ever. Even with my (very) limited knowledge of OTTD coding I'm aware of the sheer magnitude of the task. It just isn't that simple, and probably much harder (and time consuming) than I can imagine.

As far as roads are concerned I'd much rather see developers efforts concentrated on NRT (I hope that project hasn't stalled, and wish the devs of that patch every success).

Pete.
There's nothing like a deadline to hone the concentration.

Good manners cost nothing, but earn respect.

" 'Impossible' is not in our vocabulary." Jack Chrichton, Farscape
mohomed imam
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mohomed imam »

I want streets for draw Diagonally. Have any patch or GRFs?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

mohomed imam wrote: 28 Jan 2021 04:53 I want streets for draw Diagonally. Have any patch or GRFs?
Nope. You need to draw all the graphics first.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”