Add 0.5 and 0.25 second option for tooltip delay

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

WebSnozz
Engineer
Engineer

Add 0.5 and 0.25 second option for tooltip delay

Post by WebSnozz »

The default of 2 seconds and lower 1 second options are really slow for a tooltip. It's really hard to learn the game without them. I would recommend adding options for half and quarter second delay and consider making one of those the default. (Yes I know I can set for right click, but that feels unnatural compared to how tooltips work in any other interface)
Terkhen
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Add 0.5 and 0.25 second option for tooltip delay

Post by Terkhen »

It is the first time I see feedback asking for a shorter time. IIRC my original implementation used one second as default, and it was thought as too short by the people that tried it. I don't mind the option for shorter times, but since it would probably need some kind of conversion code, I would like to know if it is really felt as necessary by many people first.
fieari
Engineer
Engineer

Post by fieari »

As another newbie, I second the request. Once I learn the buttons better, I'm sure I'll want a slower appearance, but for now, I almost always want to see what the button does.
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

Then set the delay to right click (0 seconds) for now and ... umh ... right click them buttons for instant tooltips. ;)
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.
falconne
Engineer
Engineer

Post by falconne »

I third this request. It took me a little while before I realised the game even had tooltips... the default delay is contrary to modern UI design. The defaults should cater to the expectations of new players trying to learn the game; they can change the settings once they're experienced.
Terkhen
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Terkhen »

Ok, this task is in my ToDo list. I won't have time for a few weeks though. If anyone is interested, a patch that does setting conversion correctly will be more than welcome. If not, please wait until I have time again :)
LSky
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by LSky »

This would be a great addition!

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”