Post The Best Ideas You Can Think Of

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

RhapsodyTTD
Engineer
Engineer

Post The Best Ideas You Can Think Of

Post by RhapsodyTTD »

If you want to share your worst ideas, post them in my other topic, viewtopic.php?t=89438

Sometimes, good isn't enough. Despite the fact that OpenTTD is being updated and improved even to this day, there's always going to be something missing, or something that could be improved.
Take the stations. I know it's also down to settings, but, as an example, placing and running a train station in a city is a good way to make money and promote growth. But when one station has half or more of the city's population at a time, it just doesn't seem realistic. Some people prefer to play without NewGRFs, so it would make sense to have an option to set a capacity for the stations. A single station tile would hold no more than 10-20 people at a time, and only a certain percentage of the town or city can be present at a time.
Not only would this make the game more challenging, it would also be completely optional in the game settings.
I'm not great at making good ideas. :P
I'd love to see what kinds of ideas people have!
EN-GB: Smoking like a train since 2015
CY-GB: Ysmygu fel trên ers 2015
GA-IE: Ag caitheamh tobac cosúil le traein ó 2015
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Post The Best Ideas You Can Think Of

Post by Eddi »

the best idea i ever had: remove block signals.
Captain Rand
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Captain Rand »

Eddi wrote: 10 Nov 2021 15:06 the best idea i ever had: remove block signals.
No. That's a lousy idea.

Pete.
There's nothing like a deadline to hone the concentration.

Good manners cost nothing, but earn respect.

" 'Impossible' is not in our vocabulary." Jack Chrichton, Farscape
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

This thread took a lot less long to get to the insults and flamewar stage than the other one.
Captain Rand
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Captain Rand »

Taschi wrote: 10 Nov 2021 19:29 This thread took a lot less long to get to the insults and flamewar stage than the other one.
Seriously? I hardly regard my comment as flaming, and I did NOT insult anybody. I simply expressed my own opinion, which differs from Eddi.
The OP posted this as a light hearted discussion, and my reply to Eddi was in the same vein.

Pete.
There's nothing like a deadline to hone the concentration.

Good manners cost nothing, but earn respect.

" 'Impossible' is not in our vocabulary." Jack Chrichton, Farscape
RhapsodyTTD
Engineer
Engineer

Post by RhapsodyTTD »

Welp, this went downhill fast. :?
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Sarcasm is hard to detect online, but I think it's always best to not assume the worst of somebody's post. Captain Rand's post can definitely be read as playing along with Eddi, no hard feelings needed.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

To bring things back to the initial topic:

More different signal types beyond the semaphore vs. light signals

I often play with real-world trans-national maps such as Central/Western Europe and it looks odd to have e.g. French signals on a line that goes deep into Switzerland or Germany

Still only for the visual impression rather than any gameplay impact, thus consider this to ever happen very low
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

Another thing I urgently miss in the "main" game (not some patchpacks):

More options to control the loading/unloading process

For example I want to distribute some goods along a branch line with the train loading at A and then going via B and C to D, with B and D smaller villages while C a mid-sized town.

At the moment I can - as far as I know - only do this to supply all three places B, C, D: load at A, go to B and fully unload, then go back to A to load, go non-stop to C and fully unload and finally repeat for D

However, what would really be nice is:

Fully load at A, go to B and unload 25% of loaded goods, then proceed to C, unload 67% (2/3 of the remaining or 50% of initial load), then proceed to D and fully unload

Or alternatively, in terms of items/liters/tons: Fully load train of say 100 units of goods at A, go to B and unload 25 units, proceed to C to unload 50 units, then go to D to unload 25 units (or fully unload)

Same on the way back - at the moment only can load what is currently available or fully load, but would be nice to have the following:

Go from depot at A empty and non-stop to D with a train that has a capacity of 100 units, at D load 25 units, proceed to C and load another 50 units, then proceed to B to either fully load or load another 25 unit, then go to A and fully unload
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

And - as wishes seem to be for free here in this discussion - also be able to specify which type of goods to load, e.g.

From depot at A on a A-B-C-D line go non-stop to D with a 100 units trains able to carry say 50 units of wood and 50 units of grain, at D load 25 units of wood and 25 units of grain, go to C to load another 25 units of grain, go to B to load another 25 units of wood, then go to A to fully unload

Together with the previous suggestions, this would allow for a very fine distribution/pick-up model
WolfRamXx
Engineer
Engineer

Post by WolfRamXx »

Best ideas i can think of: Diagonal roads/tram tracks. I often have hard time doing roads as i need, as i play mostly on hilly maps, it would be possible to make bigger turns as well.

Also: Train-like road vehicle purchase system, allowing you choose trailers for trucks/trams. I dont see reason why road vehicles such as semi-trucks should be locked to single trailer, forcing you to have 4 semis for 4 cargos.
Having this option would allow you to have 2 semis with 2 trailers (or more, if you want to do road-trains), which each could hold different cargo.
Example: Semi + goods semi-trailer + tanker tandem trailer, this setup could hold, for exaple, 40 crates of goods, and 15.000L of water.
It would work same for all road vehicles (buses, trucks, trams). It would make the combo slower, and heavier though.

Edit: The raod vehicle modular system could be expanded lot further, like having some breakdown vehicles fixable only in garage, making need of tow-trucks. Or making command to detach this and this trailer/wagon in this and this station, leaving it there for other vehicles to use it.
Owner of WolfTrans.com. An fictional trucking company.
RhapsodyTTD
Engineer
Engineer

Post by RhapsodyTTD »

Heritage Railways. Completely non profit train lines using outdated or antiquated locomotives. Expensive but boosts company ratings twice as fast as normal railways.

And diagonal level crossings.
LaRoso
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by LaRoso »

Diagonal bridges and tunnels! I'd sell my liver for that
dol422
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dol422 »

LaRoso wrote: 13 Nov 2021 14:52 Diagonal bridges and tunnels! I'd sell my liver for that
How desperate are you? :D
Take a look at: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=74993
Why do it tomorrow when you can do it today
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

dol422 wrote: 19 Nov 2021 17:28 How desperate are you? :D
I suppose none of us know how healthy LaRoso's liver is.

*runs away really fast*
LaRoso
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by LaRoso »

dol422 wrote: 19 Nov 2021 17:28 How desperate are you? :D
Very.
Taschi wrote: 19 Nov 2021 17:51 I suppose none of us know how healthy LaRoso's liver is.

*runs away really fast*
It's indeed quite healthy. That's how you know how desperate I am.
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

ebla71 wrote: 12 Nov 2021 13:39 And - as wishes seem to be for free here in this discussion - also be able to specify which type of goods to load, e.g.

----------------
Hey ebla71.

Please try to avoid double & triple posting in quick succession. If there's more you wish to add after you've posted, you can use the edit post button located in the top-right corner of your post :D
Similarly if you wish to quote more than one other post, you can select it from the topic review section underneath the typing box when you are posting a reply. It saves clogging up topics with repetitive posts.

Of course there are some exceptions where double-posting such as an extended time between posts, or someone posting updates to a project :mrgreen:

All the best! :)

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”