Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

DrMilzbrand
Engineer
Engineer

Aircrash effects on PAX demand for a short while

Post by DrMilzbrand »

Hello,

as you may know, aircrashes are a part of OpenTTD as long as I can remember. By now, the only effect for the player is the lost of the plane itself. I would like to suggest further reaction of the society. First of all, in case of a crash, the rating of your company at the airport should be downgraded and the demand of PAX should be reduced. Passangers are shocked and deny flying with your planes. Before all the discussion about TOO heavy effects for the game and so on, pay attention to all the airlines in reallife, that vanished operationes after suffering a crash due to less bookings. The list is increadible long, starting with TWA (TWA800) or SwissAir (some years after SR111 it becomes a part of LH), just as an example.

Thank you
Regards.

DrMilzbrand

Worlds Airliners Set

(Statistics 04/2008 - mid 08/2008, more flights soon)
Terkhen
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Aircrash effects on PAX demand for a short while

Post by Terkhen »

Gamewise, the air crashes happen by random chance. Why should the game penalize the player for something that cannot be controlled?
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

Isn't this what already happens? at least it happens with train crashes or train->road crashes, why should it be different for aircraft?
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Eddi wrote:Isn't this what already happens? at least it happens with train crashes or train->road crashes, why should it be different for aircraft?
Terkhen wrote:Gamewise, the air crashes happen by random chance. Why should the game penalize the player for something that cannot be controlled?
I think that´s the difference:

- train crashes being caused by player induced signal manipulations. :P
- air crashes are random, "act of god". No insurance will pay. :mrgreen:

regards
Michael
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

"Act of God" you say. I say real life. Planes crash, they just do, sometimes because of human error, sometimes just like that. Trains on the other hand always need a human idiot to crash them (either by signals or speeding or...). I'm referring to real life of course. (That doesn't change the fact that I call myself a complete moron when I manage to crash some OTTD trains :lol: )

In any case, anyone who doesn't like having his/her planes crashing (and the following effects of that), there's a nice option in the advanced menu to disable plane crashes... :D
Leon

Image Image Image Image
"... all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by..." - John Masefield
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Voyager1 wrote:"Act of God" you say. I say real life. Planes crash, they just do, sometimes because of human error, sometimes just like that. Trains on the other hand always need a human idiot to crash them (either by signals or speeding or...). I'm referring to real life of course.
Yes, sorry about using a term from contract law. :cool:

O/c, I was talking about the game, not real life. In real life, air crashes may be indeed induced by human error and/or technical failure. OTOH, in game, the only human error possible comes in when manipulating signals or track during uninterrupted service, or similar dangerous activities.

regards
Michael
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

I understood you correctly, I was just joking. :)
Leon

Image Image Image Image
"... all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by..." - John Masefield

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”