Problems and suggestations

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Post Reply
shahanangelo
Engineer
Engineer
Posts: 7
Joined: 25 May 2009 06:10

Problems and suggestations

Post by shahanangelo »

1.I am not happy with the default set bus fare. There is no competition anyway if I can't change the bus fare. There should be a system by which I can set a fare because to some certain points there are too many vehicles in the game and it becomes problematic when me or other competitors launch a lots of vehicles.
2. A city has to be shown with it's borders.(Like, a certain limit it can actually allowed grow on)
3. There should be two types of bus service: Intercity and Intra city service.
The Intra city Service is Dedicated to carry passengers in the city. The Intercity will work between cities.
4. There should be petrol/gas stations in the cities where the competitors have to buy petrol and it will also to be added in the monthly/yearly balance sheet.(Though depots can have the re-fueling but it will be more realistic when there are petrol stations in the city)
5. The competitors have to buy transport license from the the city they are willing to start or carry their business on.(It is by default from the beginning but I am talking about individuals local authorities).
6. When a competitor takes a license he/she is given two years to reach the mediocre level if failed the license will be canceled.
7. There should be an option for buying and celling the old vehicles from the market because sometimes the companies don't have money to buy new vehicles for better service. (replacing new vehicles won't do the job for me)
8. There should be new factories and organizations like, Television stations, Radio stations, Grocery shops, Hardware shops, Vehicle Manufacturers, Cinema, Advertisement Firms. The competitors can buy them sell them, have profit from them sell share of those properties. (Though I am putting more emphasis on the economic part but you don't want to be realistic and if it is hard for you to write this kind of coding then it is of no use)
9. There should be an active share market where the competitors can sell, buy each other's share.
10. More vehicles and company colors should be included, there will different manufactures active in the market and sell new vehicles for these transport companies. An option of launching a joint venture business will be an interesting for the game.
Last edited by shahanangelo on 08 Oct 2009 03:52, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon
Posts: 1517
Joined: 16 Sep 2005 12:23
Skype: the_gremnon
Location: /home
Contact:

Re: Problems and suggestations

Post by Gremnon »

shahanangelo wrote:1.I am not happy with the default set bus fair. There is no competition anyway if I can't change the bus fair. There should be a system by which I can set a fair because to some certain points there are too many vehicles in the game and it becomes problematic when me or other competitors launch a lots of vehicles.
A patch was suggested for this some time ago, and never started. Might be a nice feature, but at the moment if you want it, you code it.
shahanangelo wrote:2. A city has to be shown with it's borders.
What borders? All they have is an area of land that's affected by their local authority. If you need to know, use the land query tool (Click and hold on the rightmost toolbar icon, FYI)
shahanangelo wrote:3. There should be two types of bus service: Intercity and Intra city service.
The Intra city Service is Dedicated to carry passengers in the city. The Intercity will work between cities.
Then set the orders up as such then. Trams are usually used for intracity services.
shahanangelo wrote:4. There should be petrol/gas stations in the cities where the competitors have to buy petrol and it will also to be added in the monthly/yearly balance sheet.
As with the first, maybe more realistic, but as belugas will say, realistic isn't necessarily better.
Also, ECS adds petrol stations, and the petrol cargo is added by both it and Pikka's Basic Industries.
shahanangelo wrote:5. The competitors have to buy transport license from the the city they are willing to start or carry their business on.
You, and all other players have this by default. You can, however purchase exclusive rights, which makes all cargo choose your stations to appear at only. Note that it does NOT magically transport them from your competitors stations to yours.
shahanangelo wrote:6. When a competitor takes a license he/she is given two years to reach the mediocre level if failed the license will be canceled.
Again, a nice idea, but not very useful. Also, there is a patch which allows ignoring of the local authority, which would likely see much more use if this was implemented.
shahanangelo wrote:7. There should be an option for buying and celling the old vehicles from the market because sometimes the companies don't have money to buy new vehicles for better service.
Try turning on 'Vehicles Never Expire' in advanced settings.
shahanangelo wrote:8. There should be new factories and organizations like, Television stations, Radio stations, Grocery shops, Hardware shops, Vehicle Manufacturers, Cinema, Advertisement Firms. The competitors can buy them sell them, have profite from them sell share of those properties.
You're thinking a lot like the economy method used in Railroad tycoon 2, which works well for it, but doesn't really work well here. However, once more, feel free to learn how to code and write a patch yourself.
shahanangelo wrote:9. There should be an active share market where the competitors can sell, buy each other's share.
Shares are already implemented. True, only in 25% portions, but they're implemented. I know of only two (slightly old) patchs which ever did anything about that, one which added subsidaries (take over their company if you own enough) and another that changed it to 5% portions. Neither is in trunk, so you'll have to update and compile them yourself.
shahanangelo wrote:10. More vehicles and company colors should be included, there will different manufactures active in the market and sell new vehicles for these transport companies. An option of launching a joint venture business will be an interesting for the game.
Colours are limited by the palette, which in 8 bit graphics is not much. You can find the Purple and Mauve to Black GRF files in the OpenTTDCoop pack, which do exactly what they say.
As to more vehicles, GRFCrawler and Bananas are your friends. Download some newGRFs and use them.

DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer
Posts: 10285
Joined: 18 Feb 2004 03:06
Contact:

Re: Problems and suggestations

Post by DaleStan »

shahanangelo wrote:1.I am not happy with the default set bus fair.
That is not the word you want. Grab your dictionary, and look up "fair" and "fare". Then commence with using the correct one.
shahanangelo wrote:2. A city has to be shown with it's borders.
Why?
shahanangelo wrote:4. There should be petrol/gas stations in the cities where the competitors have to buy petrol and it will also to be added in the monthly/yearly balance sheet.
There already is. We call it a "depot", and it's where your vehicles go for repairs and refueling. (Though the fuel charges are applied when the fuel is expended, not when the vehicle refuels.)
shahanangelo wrote:5. The competitors have to buy transport license from the the city they are willing to start or carry their business on.
And you don't?
shahanangelo wrote:10. More vehicles should be included,
Did someone fail to inform you of LVv4, LVv5, and eGRVTS?
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser

User avatar
belugas
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer
Posts: 1507
Joined: 05 Apr 2005 01:48
Location: Deep down the deepest blue
Contact:

Re: Problems and suggestations

Post by belugas »

shahanangelo wrote:There should be a system by which I can set a fare because to some certain points there are too many vehicles in the game and it becomes problematic when me or other competitors launch a lots of vehicles
A change of fare implies that some passengers would go to the lowest one, or some would prefer the speedier line, or the newest vehicles or else. Therefore, you are implying that passengers in TTD have some kind of a will. There is none.
On the other hand, if you imply that all passengers will go to the station where the ticket price is the lowest, it will be a game of endless ping pong between you and your competitors, since everyone will lower the fare to attract passengers. Not much of a fun there...
shahanangelo wrote:2. A city has to be shown with it's borders.(Like, a certain limit it can actually allowed grow on)
Absolutely out of the question. Do you see a line on the ground saying that the city you are living in starts? No. Why should there be one in OpenTTD? Useless
shahanangelo wrote:3. There should be two types of bus service: Intercity and Intra city service.
You just need to organize your fleet accordingly. You are the architect of your business. You can do it.
shahanangelo wrote:8. There should be new factories and organizations like, Television stations, Radio stations, Grocery shops, Hardware shops, Vehicle Manufacturers, Cinema, Advertisement Firms.
That is the subject of the feature called NewIndustries. It's an add-on that you can design. It's not OpenTTD's job to enforce those. OpenTTD's job is to make the addition possible. Plus, may i point out that all your suggested industries are far from being attractive. You merely mentioned some "industries" that you think are missing in order to reflect reality a little bit more. WITH NO VALUE ADDED. And yet, you want visible borders of cities...
shahanangelo wrote:The competitors can buy them sell them, have profit from them sell share of those properties.
No one owns any industry in the game. Therefore, that feature suggestion is dead on the womb.

Hope I'm not too harsh
If you are not ready to work a bit for your ideas, it means they don't count much for you.
OpenTTD and Realism? Well... Here are a few thoughs on the matter.
He he he he
------------------------------------------------------------
Music from the Bloody Time Zones

User avatar
GeekToo
President
President
Posts: 959
Joined: 03 Jun 2007 22:22

Re: Problems and suggestations

Post by GeekToo »

belugas wrote:
shahanangelo wrote:2. A city has to be shown with it's borders.(Like, a certain limit it can actually allowed grow on)
Absolutely out of the question. Do you see a line on the ground saying that the city you are living in starts? No. Why should there be one in OpenTTD? Useless
I see two things I don't like
1. The idea: I fail to see how it would add any fun to the game
2. Belugas (of all people) using realism as an argument ... :lol:

User avatar
Dimme
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator
Posts: 277
Joined: 30 Jul 2008 12:42
Location: Trondheim, Norway

Re: Problems and suggestations

Post by Dimme »

belugas wrote:
shahanangelo wrote:There should be a system by which I can set a fare because to some certain points there are too many vehicles in the game and it becomes problematic when me or other competitors launch a lots of vehicles
A change of fare implies that some passengers would go to the lowest one, or some would prefer the speedier line, or the newest vehicles or else. Therefore, you are implying that passengers in TTD have some kind of a will. There is none.
On the other hand, if you imply that all passengers will go to the station where the ticket price is the lowest, it will be a game of endless ping pong between you and your competitors, since everyone will lower the fare to attract passengers. Not much of a fun there...
This is correct in trunk, but just as a side note, I would like to add:
1. In the old cargodest (with e) patch, people had will (they would rather fly than go by bus etc.).
2. About ping-pong, this will not happen with cargodist (with i). You would not be able to change all prices simultaneously, so you could do this on a part of the network, but not on the network as a whole. (Prices should be set on a route basis, not station basis.)
Try my modular airports minigame!

Image

curriemc7
Engineer
Engineer
Posts: 3
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 22:23

Re: Problems and suggestations

Post by curriemc7 »

Is there a possibility that there could limit the amount of cargo that is allowed to be delivered to an industry that is not having any of the goods being hauled away? You can haul an unlimited amount of lumber to a lumber mill when no goods are every delivered from the lumber mill to a town. I think it would be cool if the amount of cargo accepted is related to the amount of goods being transported. Just a thought. Also I think it would be cool if towns near a power plant that was having coal transported to it would grow faster. I also would like boats from earlier times. There may be these already but I haven't found them. I am new at this and I would like to thank eveyone for keeping the game going!

User avatar
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon
Posts: 1517
Joined: 16 Sep 2005 12:23
Skype: the_gremnon
Location: /home
Contact:

Re: Problems and suggestations

Post by Gremnon »

For the industry/cargo point - try ECS or PBI, the industries will stockpile the cargo, and stop accepting until it goes down enough. That's the closest I can think of.

Power Plants making towns grow faster? Nice idea, but I think it'd need a patch/grf to do it.

Earlier ships? I *think* FISH has some, and I know the old 2CC ship set had some, but the 2CC ship set didn't really go far, I don't think.

shahanangelo
Engineer
Engineer
Posts: 7
Joined: 25 May 2009 06:10

Re: Problems and suggestations

Post by shahanangelo »

I have discussed it earlier in this post(I am not happy with the default set bus fare. There is no competition anyway if I can't change the bus fare. There should be a system by which I can set a fare because to some certain points there are too many vehicles in the game and it becomes problematic when me or other competitors launch a lots of vehicles). I think it is really important to let the competitors set their bus fare because it actually can bring realistic approach to open ttd.

Now the problem is some people don't want to accept this
A change of fare implies that some passengers would go to the lowest one, or some would prefer the speedier line, or the newest vehicles or else. Therefore, you are implying that passengers in TTD have some kind of a will. There is none.
On the other hand, if you imply that all passengers will go to the station where the ticket price is the lowest, it will be a game of endless ping pong between you and your competitors, since everyone will lower the fare to attract passengers. Not much of a fun there...
and on the contrary somebody likes it as well
About ping-pong, this will not happen with cargodist (with i). You would not be able to change all prices simultaneously, so you could do this on a part of the network, but not on the network as a whole. (Prices should be set on a route basis, not station basis.)
I have failed to discussed it clearly. It was a vague suggestion from my part by just saying that I want a system that let me choose the bus fare.

The competitors can set the bus fare as per grid. The fuel cost will play a vital role in choosing the bus fare as it should be included as well. By this way the competitors can defeat others and others can defeat them.

User avatar
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon
Posts: 1517
Joined: 16 Sep 2005 12:23
Skype: the_gremnon
Location: /home
Contact:

Re: Problems and suggestations

Post by Gremnon »

Congratulations on voulenteering to make the patch.

Seriously though. As Belugas' signature clearly says: "If you are not ready to work a bit for your ideas, it means they don't count much for you."

It does NOT take much to learn. It does just take a bit of patience, and a bit of time.
So if you want to see it in game so badly - write the patch for it. No on else is going to do it for you just because you complain you're not getting your way.

User avatar
belugas
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer
Posts: 1507
Joined: 05 Apr 2005 01:48
Location: Deep down the deepest blue
Contact:

Re: Problems and suggestations

Post by belugas »

shahanangelo wrote: I think it is really important to let the competitors set their bus fare because it actually can bring realistic approach to open ttd.
Honestly, I don't. Feels like a very boring approach Realism? How? by setting the ticket price and then what? Lower them? God... I'd prefer to have better looking engine than doing a war fare... hohoh.. a war of fares
shahanangelo wrote: The fuel cost will play a vital role in choosing the bus fare as it should be included as well. By this way the competitors can defeat others and others can defeat them.
You do understand that this extends the game in ways that are far from been "transport" only? It starts to become an economic model rewrite. Frankly, I don't like the idea. Way too much work for such a small and simple benefit.
But that's my personal opinion.
If you are not ready to work a bit for your ideas, it means they don't count much for you.
OpenTTD and Realism? Well... Here are a few thoughs on the matter.
He he he he
------------------------------------------------------------
Music from the Bloody Time Zones

User avatar
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator
Posts: 5472
Joined: 13 Sep 2004 13:21
Location: The Moon
Contact:

Re: Problems and suggestations

Post by PikkaBird »

Gremnon wrote:For the industry/cargo point - try ECS or PBI, the industries will stockpile the cargo, and stop accepting until it goes down enough. That's the closest I can think of.
PBI secondary industries will only process at low rates (meaning you'll fill up the stockpiles much quicker) if nothing was transported away the previous month.

User avatar
neob
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
Posts: 687
Joined: 29 Dec 2009 02:56

Re: Problems and suggestations

Post by neob »

Gremnon wrote:Congratulations on voulenteering to make the patch.
considering this is the suggestations forum, as in anyone can suggest anything he think will improve the game
and not the Developer section, i dont see how this kind of repeating comments helps.

belugas wrote:
shahanangelo wrote: I think it is really important to let the competitors set their bus fare because it actually can bring realistic approach to open ttd.
Honestly, I don't. Feels like a very boring approach Realism? How? by setting the ticket price and then what? Lower them? God... I'd prefer to have better looking engine than doing a war fare... hohoh.. a war of fares
i think that his suggestion is basically about trying to improve the late game bus play, which lacks the options a trains network can provide also he trys to add the competition aspect.
Image

Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon
Posts: 1498
Joined: 15 Mar 2008 07:02

Re: Problems and suggestations

Post by Wasila »

Neob, I see and understand your point, but these aren't sugggestations; this is a list of demands. Why would we need inter and intra city buses? Make them yourself!
shahanangelo wrote:1.I am not happy with the default set bus fare. There is no competition anyway if I can't change the bus fare. There should be a system by which I can set a fare because to some certain points there are too many vehicles in the game and it becomes problematic when me or other competitors launch a lots of vehicles.
2. A city has to be shown with it's borders.(Like, a certain limit it can actually allowed grow on)
3. There should be two types of bus service: Intercity and Intra city service.
The Intra city Service is Dedicated to carry passengers in the city. The Intercity will work between cities.
4. There should be petrol/gas stations in the cities where the competitors have to buy petrol and it will also to be added in the monthly/yearly balance sheet.(Though depots can have the re-fueling but it will be more realistic when there are petrol stations in the city)
5. The competitors have to buy transport license from the the city they are willing to start or carry their business on.(It is by default from the beginning but I am talking about individuals local authorities).
6. When a competitor takes a license he/she is given two years to reach the mediocre level if failed the license will be canceled.
7. There should be an option for buying and celling the old vehicles from the market because sometimes the companies don't have money to buy new vehicles for better service. (replacing new vehicles won't do the job for me)
8. There should be new factories and organizations like, Television stations, Radio stations, Grocery shops, Hardware shops, Vehicle Manufacturers, Cinema, Advertisement Firms. The competitors can buy them sell them, have profit from them sell share of those properties. (Though I am putting more emphasis on the economic part but you don't want to be realistic and if it is hard for you to write this kind of coding then it is of no use)
9. There should be an active share market where the competitors can sell, buy each other's share.
10. More vehicles and company colors should be included, there will different manufactures active in the market and sell new vehicles for these transport companies. An option of launching a joint venture business will be an interesting for the game.
Like I said; a list of demands. I want doesn't get, and besides, this game is created out of people's spare time.

User avatar
neob
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
Posts: 687
Joined: 29 Dec 2009 02:56

Re: Problems and suggestations

Post by neob »

Wasila wrote:Neob, I see and understand your point, but these aren't sugggestations; this is a list of demands. Why would we need inter and intra city buses? Make them yourself!
all i am saying that, suggestions should be nourished and prodded in the right direction, maybe they inspire some ideas that are more fit to the game or will be picked up when there is time for it.
so i think that 'do it yourself' comments that are shown in many other posts here are counter productive, besides if we all new how to do what we want we would be posting in development and not suggestion forum...


as for the language, well its your right, personally i dont really care, i tend to jump to the suggestion part
and as for rejecting his suggestions only because he is a demanding person its just an AdHominem argument.
Image

User avatar
ostlandr
Chairman
Chairman
Posts: 882
Joined: 12 May 2007 01:09
Location: Northeastern USA

Re: Problems and suggestations

Post by ostlandr »

I run intercity bus services all the time, even without cargodest/cargodist. eGRVTS has a wide selection of buses- even six-horse passenger and mail coaches for longer "intercity" runs in early games.

In my games, not every town is on the rail network- not enough passenger traffic to make it pay, and small towns don't accept goods. Once they do, it's often easier to supply them by truck.

In the bigger towns (at least until I started running the "early houses" grf) the bus stations are usually swamped with passengers and mail I use the local buses/mail trucks to keep station ratings up (frequency of service) and then run "suburban" buses (or trams or "light rail" electric interurban lines) and mail trucks to the outlying towns.

I have recently started running buses (double deckers sometimes) on shorter loops between the busiest stations, as well as the longer loop routes I used to use. Not very realistic, but that's where the demand is.

I also use local buses to pull passengers out of the crowded stations and transfer them to the rail/bus/truck "intermodal" station in each of my towns. Then I have lots of passengers to transport between cities by rail.

With the Cargodest/Cargodist patch (there are binaries available) it's a whole new ball game. It's all about building connections. That's where airports and edge-of-town railyards come into their own. No transfer orders needed- just put the vehicles on the routes, and the passengers and cargo find their own way to their destinations. Works really great with banks- just put an armored truck on the route from the banks to the airports, run a cargo plane refitted to valuables between, and zip! 8)
Who is John Galt?

Post Reply

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests