Transport Tycoon Forums

The place to talk about Transport Tycoon
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:19 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:27 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

if anything it could be easily done but people have yet to taken the proper amount of time to create this. if one person can do it with some simple codes why couldn't the people who work for the game do it. They technically have all the material to do so plus half of the things needed to do it are in game. yes i may not be at the level of smartness when it comes to coding but its just simple logic. Hopefully our sugesstions will be taken into consideration even though this topic has gone to complete nothing

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:16 pm 
President
President

ciniNPC wrote:
if one person can do it with some simple codes why couldn't the people who work for the game do it.

I am sure they could, the only problem is that there are no people who are employed by OpenTTD. The game is free, and open sourced, with development done by volunteers writing and reviewing patches in their leisure time as a hobby - no one is paid any money to work on OpenTTD.

I am sure if you wanted to spend enough money to pay the salaries of a team of developers, you could easily produce a commercial fork of the game that includes this feature, but then you might as well just write a new commercial game. It's not clear though that the market demands realistic shunting enough to support such a game, seeing as only one person ever wrote a patch, and never shared their code.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:44 pm 
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

To say this is a simple bit of code is a huge myth; everything from how collisions are handled, to how each "vehicle" in a train is tracked by the game needs to be considered and appropriate solutions and mechanisms coded into the software. It's not an easy project to undertake and the impact on the rest of the game needs to be bought into account as well.

In short, if it was easy, it would have been done. If it was quick, it would have been done. If it added something substantially new and different to the game it would have been investigated more thoroughly and most likely done. But many years since TTDP and latterly OTTD first considered such a feature neither games have achieved adding it to trunk.

I hope it comes eventually, but there's a lot of investment both of time and knowledge that is required to bring such a patch to fruition

I now work for DE PHOTO - CLICK TO BOOK US TO SHOOT YOUR EVENT! We Shoot Kids with Canons!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:49 am 
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

ciniNPC wrote:
if anything it could be easily done but people have yet to taken the proper amount of time to create this. if one person can do it with some simple codes why couldn't the people who work for the game do it. They technically have all the material to do so plus half of the things needed to do it are in game. yes i may not be at the level of smartness when it comes to coding but its just simple logic. Hopefully our sugesstions will be taken into consideration even though this topic has gone to complete nothing

I'm sure the Devs are going to love you, saying that it can be "easily done" and that "when it comes to coding, its just simple logic"... Code is not a simple thing to do, I know because I've written fairly simple code and it took me a long time. The code required to implement such a change also has the ability to require changes to code elsewhere in the game, which just adds to the time. As has been said, the Devs do this on an unpaid, voluntary basis, and I'm sure that they love it when people say what they do is "simple", especially people who don't actually know what they are talking about.

Whilst many of us, myself included, would love to see this implemented into the game, we can't just go around insulting the Dev's and undermining the hard work that they have put into this game, that we love, for free. This adds very little to game play value, whereas other things (such as Infrastructure Sharing) have the ability to open up whole new ways of playing in the game, and these too, are yet to be implemented.

At the end of the day, patience is the key. If someone can write a good enough Patch, it may get added into one of the Patch Packs, and you can play it there. Maybe you could actually give the coding of such a patch a go. In the meantime, however, it is a waiting game.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:59 pm 
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Someone is still working on this? :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFoy5H2Cc_A

I'll be very happy if someone manages to make this to nice patch and clear out issues arising from it. :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:56 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

I'll believe it once I see an actual patch posted somewhere ;)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:49 am 
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

If you scroll up a bit, you'll see it was worked on, but the Dev lost interest (?) and never posted the code.

Maker of many GRFs, most of which are pretty poor.