Coverage area of airports

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Sensation Lover
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Coverage area of airports

Post by Sensation Lover »

How about if the first airpot (usually gets the name like this: "city name airport") has a "virtual" conection with all town, and the passengers and the mail in the town window are the resources for it (so the monthly input of passengers&mail in the airport will be the maximum number of passengers&mail that is written in the town window -got it)? and the other airports get passengers from the coverage area. or even better, all airports of the city devide the maximum outputs of the city!!! i have a question to, is it possible to have the intercontinental airport first than 2000? i mean, it s to late to have big airports. that kind of airports i think were available since 1960-70, and even if it isnt this way, i want them from 1950...is it possible???
I was in:
Austria,Belgium,Brazil,China,France,Germany,Hungary,Indonesia,Italy,Luxemburg,Malaysia,Mexico,Netherlands,Norway,Panamà,Poland,Romania,
Saudi Arabia,Singapore,Slovenia,Spain,Switzerland,Thailand,U.K.,Ukraine,U.S.A.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Roll on newgrf(air)ports... :lol:
Sensation Lover
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

PikkaBird wrote:Roll on newgrf(air)ports... :lol:
pikkabird... your .grfs are my favourite... and i think of many others! so keep the good work, i know u will never let us down.

Thank YOU GRF LORD :bow:
I was in:
Austria,Belgium,Brazil,China,France,Germany,Hungary,Indonesia,Italy,Luxemburg,Malaysia,Mexico,Netherlands,Norway,Panamà,Poland,Romania,
Hypolite
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Hypolite »

Sensation Lover wrote:How about if the first airpot (usually gets the name like this: "city name airport") has a "virtual" conection with all town, and the passengers and the mail in the town window are the resources for it (so the monthly input of passengers&mail in the airport will be the maximum number of passengers&mail that is written in the town window -got it)? and the other airports get passengers from the coverage area. or even better, all airports of the city devide the maximum outputs of the city!!! i have a question to, is it possible to have the intercontinental airport first than 2000? i mean, it s to late to have big airports. that kind of airports i think were available since 1960-70, and even if it isnt this way, i want them from 1950...is it possible???
Well, I can't really see the point of this idea, because even with an international airport and an infinite number of the biggest plane available, you can't possibly handle the huge traffic when the airport is surrounded by city. Raising the coverage area to the whole city would only make your ratings to drop, without you earning anymore money, as you would already have more than you could expect...
Sensation Lover
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

yes, i think u re right hypolite about the all-city coverage, but how about having big citys with 4 or 5 airports that share the city's output (passengers and mail), and if there s always too much, what about a percent of the city's output (i think in the real world, every city has a %of people travelling by plane,of course not all the city s travellers)... and my biggest need is to have INTERCONTINENTAL airports from '50s...
I was in:
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

Sensation Lover wrote:...and my biggest need is to have INTERCONTINENTAL airports from '50s...
Then start your game in 2020 and you'll have the intercontinental airport available right from the start.
Sensation Lover
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Yexo wrote:
Sensation Lover wrote:...and my biggest need is to have INTERCONTINENTAL airports from '50s...
Then start your game in 2020 and you'll have the intercontinental airport available right from the start.
but i like to play from '15 ...
I was in:
sootynz
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by sootynz »

I'd like this problem solved in a more generic fashion for passengers and mail. It should be possible to take passengers to an airport by either bus or train and leave the passengers to be picked up by plane. Then pick up passengers left by a plane - not by a previous bus or train. Last time I tried this it didnt work - have things changed since then?

Passengers are different to something like coal, where it makes sense for a truck to leave coal at a station to be picked up by an alternative transport mode, then return empty to a mine.

Ideally, buses/trams should be able to leave passengers at a train station and pick up passengers from the train, trains and buses do the same with a seaport or airport. If this could be achieved we'd be more into transport part of the game, not just trains, with airports being able to be sited away from towns.
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

sootynz wrote:I'd like this problem solved in a more generic fashion for passengers and mail. It should be possible to take passengers to an airport by either bus or train and leave the passengers to be picked up by plane. Then pick up passengers left by a plane - not by a previous bus or train. Last time I tried this it didnt work - have things changed since then?

Passengers are different to something like coal, where it makes sense for a truck to leave coal at a station to be picked up by an alternative transport mode, then return empty to a mine.

Ideally, buses/trams should be able to leave passengers at a train station and pick up passengers from the train, trains and buses do the same with a seaport or airport. If this could be achieved we'd be more into transport part of the game, not just trains, with airports being able to be sited away from towns.
In short: you want passenger destinations. If you don't know what it is, try searching both the forum and the wiki for paxdest and cargodest.
sootynz
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by sootynz »

Thanks Yexo - I did just that for paxdest. What I was suggesting was an order of magnitude more simple in concept than cargo/pax destinations which will significantly alter the game. This forum below was amongst the latest and has an interesting discussion.

http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... it=paxdest

Also the wiki was good value.
http://wiki.openttd.org/wiki/index.php/ ... stallation

Any ideas when cargodest will make it to (perhaps) a nightly.
Conditional Zenith
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Conditional Zenith »

sootynz wrote: Any ideas when cargodest will make it to (perhaps) a nightly.
When it's done.

Almost certainly not before 0.7.0, and given that no one is working on it at the moment, it could be quite a while.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”