Multi-core support please!

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Multi-core support please!

Post by Rubidium »

Core Xii wrote:As for single-core systems, just don't do it.
Code duplication == unmaintainability == bugs, therefor not a good solution.
Core Xii wrote:To prove it would be to implement it. You're not seriously suggesting I should pick up the source and do it myself?
Yes, you are FAR more into using Z-buffers and such as I am. Why would I need to learn that to (dis)prove that you are right? Furthermore the drawing is only a very small part of OpenTTD. I can ofcourse hack what you want into OpenTTD, but then I am sure it will be slower on both single and multicore CPUs because I take the lame approach of just adding numbers to all to-be-drawn sprites and then do the thread starting and such.
Core Xii
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Core Xii »

Rubidium wrote:Yes, you are FAR more into using Z-buffers and such as I am. Why would I need to learn that to (dis)prove that you are right?
Well I never explicitly asked you to do it... just throwing ideas into the wild open.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Ah. The standard escape route. "I didn't mean 'you' specifically, I only meant 'someone who isn't me'!"

Newsflash: No one work on this project (nor any other) unless that person believes the project has a reasonable chance of providing a good return on the labour.

Since I've seen exactly one person who seems to think this is project is worth the time required, that one person is the one who needs to make it happen. Or does that one person only think it's worthwhile if it's someone else's time that gets wasted?
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Core Xii
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Core Xii »

But consider that it takes someone who is already familiar with the project seriously less resources to do it than me.

I'll have a look at it but definitely won't promise anything. There isn't even a main.c, I'm not sure where to begin. Doesn't seem to be any "summary" of the engine either.
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

Drawing means viewport business, so viewport.cpp is the place to start.
Core Xii
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Core Xii »

Right, but it's not much help locating the place that needs reworking if I don't know how to compile the whole thing. ttd.dsp referenced in the wiki is missing and it's quite a mess to figure how to compile it manually.
d3x_Dark
Engineer
Engineer

Post by d3x_Dark »

Maybe this will help:

I have the same problem with C2D E6750, the CPU is allways at 50% usage (which means, that only one core is actually processing the Openttd, but it runs at 100%).

I started a game, where I constructed zounds of ships (1,700 or so) and the game went terribly slowly... I switched the ship pathfinding algorythm to YAPF and everything runs smoothly with CPU usage of 35%. This algorythm isn't recommended, but I don't know why, maybe it has some bugs in it, but I've played with it for 2 hours or so and the game didn't crash or anything, so I guess, it's ok.

Original and NPF algorythms for Ships slow the game down a lot, try this, if you have built lots of ships and maybe your problems will be solved...

I still can't fast-forward the game in windowed nor full-screen mode (unless I run another savegame, which has less vehicles in it), but the game runs fluently, and that's really all that matters to me...
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

Core Xii wrote:Right, but it's not much help locating the place that needs reworking if I don't know how to compile the whole thing. ttd.dsp referenced in the wiki is missing and it's quite a mess to figure how to compile it manually.
If you would have looked at the 'how to' you could have seen that it was made for a version about 3 years ago, when OpenTTD was still C. Now OpenTTD is C++ and there was nobody with interest to update the Dev-C++ project file (nor the wiki).
Core Xii
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Core Xii »

Guess we're in a bit of a deadlock then, unless someone's willing to bring all the info up to date.
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

There are about 4 other ways to compile under Windows that are supported:
- cygwin + gcc
- mingw + gcc
- MSVC 2005
- MSVC 2008
Core Xii
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Core Xii »

I'd still need to know what to include.
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

The multithreaded multicanvas rendering.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Core Xii wrote:I'd still need to know what to include.
You mean, besides what the up-to-date wiki pages for those four compilers say you need?
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
CMircea
Chairman
Chairman

Post by CMircea »

d3x_Dark wrote:Original and NPF algorythms for Ships slow the game down a lot, try this, if you have built lots of ships and maybe your problems will be solved...
Unless YAPF does some magic stuff there, I find it very slow for ships, same for NPF. The problem is that unlike other vehicles, ships can take an ultra mega gazillion number of routes, since every water tile is like a tile with rails is every possible direction. Now go and calculate the best path through possibly a few million tiles in big maps. Good luck. The old pathfinder just gets a simple route there, yes, it can be VERY VERY bad, but it's done very fast.
d3x_Dark wrote:I still can't fast-forward the game in windowed nor full-screen mode (unless I run another savegame, which has less vehicles in it), but the game runs fluently, and that's really all that matters to me...
Unless you enable the 32bpp blitters or set the color to over 8bpp, OTTD, in full-screen, switches to 8bpp, and that is MUCH faster than doing it in 32bpp, which in windowed mode isn't possible. Now, what slows this further down on both, is the full animation as palette cycling isn't that fast currently. Just disable it, you won't see everything so smooth and water won't animate, but it will run a LOT faster.
Core Xii
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Core Xii »

Rubidium wrote:The multithreaded multicanvas rendering.
I meant what headers/libraries to include.
DaleStan wrote:You mean, besides what the up-to-date wiki pages for those four compilers say you need?
You mean like these? None of them tells what to include in a generic, non- compiler-specific compilation, or where to start (equivalent of main.*).
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Core Xii wrote:I meant what headers/libraries to include.
Include for what?
Core Xii wrote:(equivalent of main.*).
Yeah, there's no main.*. Because there are at least 3 different main()s, each in a different file. That's why you look more closely at the filenames (think about the name of the project for a bit), or the output of grep, or the doxygen, or the advice that Rubidium already gave you.
Core Xii
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Core Xii »

I'm not going to study an entire game engine based on source code alone.
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

Core Xii wrote:I'm not going to study an entire game engine based on source code alone.
Didn't I tell you exactly what file does the actual drawing and sorting of the sprites, the part that you think benefits a lot when being multithreaded?
Core Xii
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Core Xii »

It's not much use coding something if I can't test it.
d3x_Dark
Engineer
Engineer

Post by d3x_Dark »

Madassasin wrote:Unless YAPF does some magic stuff there, I find it very slow for ships, same for NPF. The problem is that unlike other vehicles, ships can take an ultra mega gazillion number of routes, since every water tile is like a tile with rails is every possible direction. Now go and calculate the best path through possibly a few million tiles in big maps. Good luck. The old pathfinder just gets a simple route there, yes, it can be VERY VERY bad, but it's done very fast.
I didn't read much about these algorythms, but I'm just saying, what the game does... And the fact is, that the YAPF works a lot faster for me. But it's probably because of the low sea-level, I'm using in most of the maps...
Madassasin wrote:Unless you enable the 32bpp blitters or set the color to over 8bpp, OTTD, in full-screen, switches to 8bpp, and that is MUCH faster than doing it in 32bpp, which in windowed mode isn't possible. Now, what slows this further down on both, is the full animation as palette cycling isn't that fast currently. Just disable it, you won't see everything so smooth and water won't animate, but it will run a LOT faster.
About the 32bpp, I have 8bpp in both, windowed and full-screen mode and the game runs the same in both modes. I used to have 32bpp in windowed mode, but the game was running terribly slow, so I switched to 8bpp and everything's fine, even with a windows resolution 1600x1200 (fact is, that the resolution hasn't got almost any effect on the performance, the game runs the same in 640x480 as it does in 2048x1536). And as far as I've tested it, the full animation feature has nothing to do with game performance whatsoever, it doesn't matter, how many animated things there are at the same time on the screen, or in the map overall... I do have a good graphic card, GeForce 8800 GTX (and yet I'm playing this 15-year old game! ;)), but of course I'm aware, that OTTD performance has nothing to do with graphic accelerators...

Maybe you have diffierent experience with what helps and what doesn't, but this is how my OpenTTD on my PC works and if someone has performance problems with a game filled with ships, "maybe this will help", as I stated in the very beginning...

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”