Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

smoovi
Engineer
Engineer

Custom Airports

Post by smoovi »

Hi,

I just want to suggest Airports which are designable.

So that you can puzzle your own Airport with pieces like Runways, Towers etc.
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Custom Airports

Post by athanasios »

Oh no! Not again! :evil:

How many times...

WIP

Please use the search function next time.
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
belugas
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by belugas »

That is NOT a work in progress.
The suggestion is about using blocks to build an airport.
That is NOT going to happen anyway.
The internals of such system are going to be... H U G E!
So, not a good suggestion. Sorry
If you are not ready to work a bit for your ideas, it means they don't count much for you.
OpenTTD and Realism? Well... Here are a few thoughs on the matter.
He he he he
------------------------------------------------------------
Music from the Bloody Time Zones
Shadowclaimer
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Shadowclaimer »

Haha its still a good suggestion, just because its hard to do doesn't make it such a bad suggestion ;) if I had any knowledge outside of Advanced VB I'd be trying my hardest to code it myself xD someone just needs to sticky it and figure out who's working on it so we can try to get them together instead of having 5 people working separately on it, might turn out a hell of a lot better.
belugas
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by belugas »

Dear Shadowclaimer
When you'll be able to figure out how the airports are currently working, when you will be able to supply a scheme on how they would be made custom, when you'll be able to generate enough enthusiam to those who can actually do something about it, MAYBE, just maybe, things might change.

But for the record, the airports are far more then just what it looks like. It is a big assembly of internal parts that the developer must be aware of, before assembling them.
Otherwise, if they are not fine tuned, you will get deadlocks, meaning an airport at the wrong block (not tile, block) waits for another one to leave and the latter cannot leave because it waits for the former to leave the said block.
So, building those blocks together by the user would require QUITE some deep thinking and coding, almost to the point of scrapping the whole airport code and starting a new structure from scratch. Not a joyfull job, for sure...

The suggestion is not a good one, since it requires TREMENDOUS amount of coding for a rather small benefit.
If you are not ready to work a bit for your ideas, it means they don't count much for you.
OpenTTD and Realism? Well... Here are a few thoughs on the matter.
He he he he
------------------------------------------------------------
Music from the Bloody Time Zones
Shadowclaimer
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Shadowclaimer »

Apologies if my post came out a little rude or overstepped, this is just one of the changes I've always wanted to see, and I like exploring all possible options.

I don't currently have an EXACT idea how the logic behind the code works (took a look at some of the code and get a BASIC idea), and I realize its a mess to change, from what I'm seeing I can't tell if its a logic issue (don't know HOW to code it to do such) or a bad previous logic issue (old logic doesn't fit new) or a coding impossibility (not literally possible to do with the engine).

I mean modular airports are a big thing, they may not seem like it, but if it was possible it would be a HUGE boon to the game, I don't see it as a large workload for little reward, such a thing would be a drastic change that would make the game much more enjoyable for aircraft whores (for lack of better terms).

If you have any idea how I could help let me know, I'm new around the community (just read don't really post), but am happy to lend whatever services you may require, if its just a workload issue I'd be happy to learn and help, if its a logic issue, I'd be happy to try and help xD

I just mean it stands before us as a challenge, why instead of just saying "too hard" don't we get all the enthusiasts and the knowledge together to at least try, if we don't succeed we're still bound to learn SOMETHING in the end.

This game makes me want to start studying C or Python again.. but its so hard to start a new language when you have a bad one drilled in your head and no good place to start (damn you VB for your horrible coding habits and overly simplistic syntax)

Edit:

What about just using a trainlike "rail" system for aircraft, Planes can only land at landing strips which would be built as stations and players designate the exact rail paths to the actual hubs and from them, don't know I've been up all night, my brain is fried just sounded plausible.
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

I wonder what benefits airports that are two to three times as large as they are now with only 50% of the absolute performance of the current airports have.

Because 'custom' build airports basically excludes optimised airports due to the enormous complexity to make it actually optimised.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Well, at least we can establish that a lot of people would be very happy with this feature... :)

As for actual development of such a feature, the airport layout + logic is going to be moved to a GRF file, so there is no need to dig in the OpenTTD source. Instead, make something to make development of such GRF files easier. When this idea is copied to other vehicle types, such a program would be quite useful.

Be warned though, it is not a simple problem.

Starting point is probably the NEWGRFairports document in svn://svn.openttd.org/branches/NewGRF_ports (somewhere in /docs).

Sincerely,
Albert
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

belugas wrote:That is NOT a work in progress.
Sorry, I was not clear. I was referring to new ports patch. This is not for the end user, but still opens the way for someone with experience in coding to design his custom airports. That is why I suggested to smoovi to do a search. :wink:
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
caca
Engineer
Engineer

Post by caca »

This might make the moderators mad, but whatever I am gonna say it. Custom airports are possible, in fact a similar game has done this.
https://www.simutrans.com/en/
Actually,now that I think of it, the custom airports don`t even need to be implemented in the game, I think this needs to be a GRF.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

caca wrote:This might make the moderators mad, but whatever I am gonna say it. Custom airports are possible, in fact a similar game has done this.
https://www.simutrans.com/en/
Actually,now that I think of it, the custom airports don`t even need to be implemented in the game, I think this needs to be a GRF.
And that's where the devs eventually would like to move things to.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”