Transport Tycoon Forums

The place to talk about Transport Tycoon
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:51 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 370 posts ]  Go to page Previous 115 16 17 18 19 Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:30 am 
Engineer
Engineer

Sylf wrote:
invert456 wrote:
...multiple track placement...

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=69965
There have been some discussion around this before. I could only find 1 thread so far. The idea never really took off. For now, you'll need to lay them one by one. With practice, maybe you can place rails with the zoomed-out view accurately. Then placing a 300-tile section is also easy. That's the only work-around I can think of.

As an alternative to zooming out, you can also open a viewport window at the end of where you want the rail to go, then with the main view at the starting point, click and drag from the main window to the viewport. I use this a lot in the scenario editor for dropping large areas to sea level, and I'm pretty sure it works with all the draggable tools.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:48 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

I did not found any proposal about ranking improvement.
Currently there is usually round 900 points, because all goals are relatively ease to achieve,
whereas minimal profit goal is rather impossible to fulfill if transfer orders/cargodist are in use.

My proposal is, to use station ratings instead of minimal profit ranking.
Such rating can be an average ranking from the 10 stations with the highest ranking
(if company have less than 10 stations, missing stations are treated as with 0 rating).

My experimental openTTD server: 149.156.194.203:3979 non-standard client, now testing: JGRPP http://tiny.pl/ggnch
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, preindustrial houses, wired, ECS industry extension.
Addicted to freeciv longturn.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:18 pm 
President
President

McZapkie wrote:
I did not found any proposal about ranking improvement.
Currently there is usually round 900 points, because all goals are relatively ease to achieve,
whereas minimal profit goal is rather impossible to fulfill if transfer orders/cargodist are in use.

My proposal is, to use station ratings instead of minimal profit ranking.
Such rating can be an average ranking from the 10 stations with the highest ranking
(if company have less than 10 stations, missing stations are treated as with 0 rating).

How about a configurable rating, including an option to turn off the rating completely? In stead of arguing what should be included in that 1 set of rating, each players (or server admin) can decide how each player should be rated (what category, and weight of each), and game should provide what's available for those ratings?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:40 am 
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Sounds like a game script to me :p

I don't know if you can measure all that is required, but if not, such things can be extended.
As for the window itself, I'd say the extended rating window can be emulated in a story-ish page.

With those two elements, the entire extended performance rating window isn't of much use anymore, maybe it should be dropped.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:12 am 
Engineer
Engineer

Alberth wrote:
Sounds like a game script to me :p

But with game script for ranking you lose "slot" for another gamescript potentially enhancing gameplay

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:47 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Is there any way I can take a Giant Screenshot but just not of the whole map? When I do a regular GS the file is way too big to even open in my Paint program as I don't have a huge amount of memory.

This would be great for making piste maps if I could have a large ish screenshot. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:53 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

you can zoom out and make a zoomed-in screenshot of the visible area via the ?-menu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:15 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

That's awesome - thanks Eddi. I never knew there were so many options in the ?-menu.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:42 am 
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Location: The Elizabeth Arkham Asylum for the Criminally Insane
One thing I would love is the ability of vehicles/trains/planes to go to the nearest depot when the vehicle gets old and "needs" replacing. IE a PAX train setup to go between St. Petersburg and Moscow, when it reaches the age limit (ie 40 years) it'll zip of to the nearest depot and autorenew.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:44 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

wtf are you talking about? that has been a feature for like 10 years now...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:27 pm 
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Eddi wrote:
wtf are you talking about? that has been a feature for like 10 years now...

I've played three games now where trains never got replaced, ending up with trains running decades after it should have automagically gone to be replaced.

Since I play with breakdowns off, trains don't go the depot to be serviced, if I understand this correctly: https://wiki.openttd.org/No_servicing_if_no_breakdowns. And if I understand it correctly, since trains won't go to depots and be replaced automagically unless you explicitly tell them. Thus my "suggestion".

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:55 pm 
President
President

Trains do go to depots when you start replacing vehicles even with that option enabled and breakdowns disabled, as long as the trains can find a path to a depot.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:26 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Careful here. Trains go to Autoreplace [to a different type], but not Autorenew [to the same type] when breakdowns (and servicing) are disabled.

there is no point in autorenew when breakdowns are disabled (but the message should be suppressed)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:55 pm 
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

One thing that will make my gaming a little bit more profitable, a option in the news section that pops up at a prescribed time, when a cargo vehicle sits at a station and never receive cargo, because you forgot to refit it to the required cargo.

Thus a train sitting at a sand quarry (firs used for example) and you forgot that it's default is coal, thus will never receive anything. After X months you get a news article that Train X has yet to receive any goods on the last X months.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:08 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Quote:
Total expences column

I hadn't actually thought of this. Would it be possible to implement a total expense vs total income for the entire game into OpenTTD? (If already implemented, i've totally overlooked and not seen it!) That'd be a rather neat little statistic i'd feel.
te_lanus wrote:
One thing that will make my gaming a little bit more profitable, a option in the news section that pops up at a prescribed time, when a cargo vehicle sits at a station and never receive cargo, because you forgot to refit it to the required cargo.
I'd like to vouch for this one if its ever found feasible and reasonable to put into trunk. It happens a lot to me...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:38 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

At the first of the year the news toolbar notifies you of every vehicle that didn't make a profit in the last year.

Base Music Sets: OpenMSX | Scott Joplin Anthology | Traditional Winter Holiday Music | Modern Motion Music
Other Projects: 2CC Trams | Modern Waypoints | Sprite Sandbox & NewGRF Releases | Ideabox | Town Names | Isle of Sodor Scenario | Random Sprite Repository
Misc Topics: My Screenshots | Forgotten NewGRFs | Unfinished Graphics Sets | Stats Shack | RoadTypes?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:10 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

kamnet wrote:
At the first of the year the news toolbar notifies you of every vehicle that didn't make a profit in the last year.

Except this doesn't apply to brand new vehicles, the game waits a year or two until this notification appears for them.

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:02 am 
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

kamnet wrote:

I normally play with this setting off, as my playstyle I end up with quite a few trains/buses/trams that run on negative income. And being reminded each year that you have 50+ vehicles that is running in the red gets quite annoying.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:30 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

There's traffic lights. I hope you can add them in if you like.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:12 am 
Engineer
Engineer

Closing windows with right-click would also be great: https://bugs.openttd.org/task/4950

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 370 posts ]  Go to page Previous 115 16 17 18 19 Next