Suggestions commonly asked for

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Yeebaagooon
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Suggestions commonly asked for

Post by Yeebaagooon »

Hi, Im new here and just download Open TTD because I loved the original :D.

Its such a great game!

Anyway, has anybody thought about converting the vechile files to an easy to use text format so you can create your own?
Maedhros
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Maedhros »

You already can (the magic word is "newgrf"). Admittedly they're not the easiest things in the world to create, but they are very powerful. :)
No-one's more important than the earthworm.
peter24
Engineer
Engineer

Post by peter24 »

Are there any plans for a new Train Path Finding algorithm? Currently we have to use Waypoints in order to guide trains to certain platforms in a station (used for when you want a train to go to a through platform instead of a terminating one in case the next destination is ahead, rather than behind).

Can this functionality to be written into the pathfinder? The pathfinder should look at the next destination in the orders and based on this, chose an appropriate platform to use at the station it's about to enter. It's not very efficient for it to chose a random platform which might terminate there as the train has to turn round, only to go through the station again using another platform with through-track.
If it choses the platform with through track to begin with, it would also free up the terminating platform for trains that really do "finish" there (and their orders tell them to go back to a station which is behind them).
This would obviously mirror real-life much better.

If this cannot be achieved, then perhaps platform numbering could be introduced at stations so you can order trains to go directly to a platform, e.g. Franley Platform 1, Chanfield Platform 3, Barway Platform 2, etc, etc. Effectively you'd be chosing an appropriate and efficient route for the train which stops it having to turn round.
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

And what when it needs to take a special platform at station A to get to the platform on station B which leads to station C? So does it need to look one station ahead, or two, or three, or ...?
It makes the pathfinder much more time complex, i.e. slower, for virtually no gain at all.
boekabart
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by boekabart »

peter24 wrote:If this cannot be achieved, then perhaps platform numbering could be introduced at stations so you can order trains to go directly to a platform, e.g. Franley Platform 1, Chanfield Platform 3, Barway Platform 2, etc, etc. Effectively you'd be chosing an appropriate and efficient route for the train which stops it having to turn round.
Isn't this 100% exactly what you do with waypoints - Number platforms?
peter24
Engineer
Engineer

Post by peter24 »

Fine, it was just a suggestion....knew it would get shot down in flames....
:)
danatemachine
Engineer
Engineer

Post by danatemachine »

I wanna say how much I love this game and:

I havent heard these asked for but It would be nice if:

-In multiplayer you had a list of games you are currently in, or a place to "save" a server name so you dont forget the name (besides a post-it note on my desk)

-You could start a multiplayer game and have Co-op VS a computer team, or have computer teams integrated into multiplayer.

-there was a master graphics pack to download somewhere, OR when you join a game that has different graphic settings the server would ask to download them and set them up for you.

Oh and this one might not be at the right forum, but perhaps if there was a website with a list of all the diiferent buildings/sprites listed with a pic, and next to each pic would be its corresponding 32bpp pic that way the artistic community could see what has been done already, or what needs improvements. We could make a complete OpenSource graphics pack together so it would be done sooner and people could post there .blend files as well so if someone wants to edit it they can.... Just asuggestion.

later
jeronimo1377
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jeronimo1377 »

Hi all,

When I have to add a order, I add the first (load something, for example) and when Im going to add the second (unload something) the order goes before the first, so I have to always click in the bottom order window to add the second order after the first. So, if the orders go always after the last order automatically, it would save some time. Is this a good suggestion?
Thanks to all.
fabca2
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by fabca2 »

jeronimo1377 wrote:Hi all,

When I have to add a order, I add the first (load something, for example) and when Im going to add the second (unload something) the order goes before the first, so I have to always click in the bottom order window to add the second order after the first. So, if the orders go always after the last order automatically, it would save some time. Is this a good suggestion?
Thanks to all.
I second that ! that's very annoying.
maybe we can avoid that behavior just by automatically selecting the next item after adding something ?
Tom0004
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Tom0004 »

this problem can be tackled in to ways, both manualy tho.

when you've selected the load option, the order is highlighted, just reclick on the orders screen again, and it becomes un hightligted.

the second way, is to select the stations in your order before using load/unload.

i'm pretty sure you already know this, but for peoples reference later on.
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Good you mention this for newcomers, but still it is not a perfect solution. jeronimo1377's suggestion stands.
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

Problem is, that without the mechanism of selecting an entry to put the new goto order before that entry, one does not have the possibility to put an order at the very front of an existing list.

Okay, by now, orders are drag- and droppable in OpenTTD, but still.
It is a very old mechanism, that selecting an entry means place next order before that entry, back to TTD, or TTO even. I would not want to remove that, without a replacement, and I don't see any other way, so...

EDIT: just got an idea how this could be done. We would need another entry called "Start of orders", like "End of orders". Then it would be possible to change the mechanism in a way that new goto orders are always placed AFTER the selected order. Heck, you could even auto-select every goto order you place (one click less to set to full load, transfer or whatever).
Inserting an order at the very beginning of the list would still be possible by clicking on the "Start of orders" entry and then making a new goto order.

actually now i feel pretty optimistic with this idea, compared to 5 minutes ago, where i literally hated it, because it would change something that's the same for 10 years now. I think most will be negative about this idea first, because it's something we all got used to over the years by now. But one could give it a try! I might even try to make a patch myself... dang i should be working on uni stuff right now, but this idea fascinates me now. oO
* @Belugas wonders what is worst... a mom or a wife...
<Lakie> Well, they do the same thing but the code is different.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

well, i made an attempt at this, it's not really great, and has a small glitch i can't get rid of - but anyways..
here's the patch thread: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=34575
* @Belugas wonders what is worst... a mom or a wife...
<Lakie> Well, they do the same thing but the code is different.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
sir_msgs
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sir_msgs »

I don't want to start a new topic on this, so I simply ask here. Is there a way how to preserve my transparency settings? I want to keep loading indicators visible even when everything else is transparent and every time I start OpenTTD it goes back to default. So is there a way how to change default transparency settings or would it be like a new suggestion? I couldn't find anything related in the config file.
belugas
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by belugas »

The settings are indeed not saved, it is not a new suggestion and... well... we can be lazy ourselves from time to time ;)
There is another feature that need to be added before saving of transparency is done.
Just wait a bit, eventually it will be incorporated (well... it is my opinion. don't know about the others)
If you are not ready to work a bit for your ideas, it means they don't count much for you.
OpenTTD and Realism? Well... Here are a few thoughs on the matter.
He he he he
------------------------------------------------------------
Music from the Bloody Time Zones
jeronimo1377
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jeronimo1377 »

athanasios wrote:Good you mention this for newcomers, but still it is not a perfect solution. jeronimo1377's suggestion stands.
Hi all,

I was thinking: If the orders always go Before, then a solution may be to change the orders, like this example: i have to load something and unload somewhere, so the first action is to click on the FINAL destination, use the unload order, and then click on the FIRST station and use the load order. If I write something wrong (or crazy) please anyone can correct me.
Thanks to all.
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Well, we have to resort to this, but it is not in logical order. Poor programming.
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
Alucard Nosferato
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Alucard Nosferato »

i know this was mentioned while ago and even done, i'd like an addition to autoreplace tool, ability to convert trains electric -> monorail -> maglev and vice-versa. Its "painful" to manually change all trains into new engine model when you have more than 200 trains in game (not to mention giving them new orders if needed). That kind of patch was built before but for then ottd revisions. I was also looking for manual reconfiguring the patch for todays revision but its kinda complicated. This is my suggestion for now. Also if you know something that might work now please tell me.
camylarde
Engineer
Engineer

Post by camylarde »

I'd like to say KUDOS DEVS! The .6 RC BETA 1 features are surely promising. ity I have no time to test it yet. With custom industries (i hope that means PikkaBird cargo stacking industries are playable) only one big thing annoys me in the games...

I played a maximal map last year that focused on having as many trains operating on one lane as possible. Aside other things I found the new Terra Genesis map generator a nice adition to the game. However after so many tries to produce map of my desire I gave up. The Terra Genesis lacks one feature! If you can state the ammount of hills by selecting the terrain type, why cant we alter the spacing between those to produce large valleys, or even large plateaus? In current terra genesis everything is always even-spaced, including lakes. I hate lakes in my maps, I can't alter them below 'low' which produces them less frequent but still so many.

I suggest the next version of map generator ( i think terragenesis features are great otherwise!) could include a mean land level setting, setting for snow lin height at summer and winter, variable settings for peaks and for valleys including the counts and spacing from the other one, as well as setting for shape of these valleys (gauss; gradual; with lots of extremes; smooth;random). If one could even define the amount of occurences of extremes, it will be possible to model virtually any terrain present on earth ;-)
TrueTenacity
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by TrueTenacity »

Just wondering if this is at all possible...

Is there any possibility of adding a little bit of AI to road vehicles?

So that you could build a couple at a road depot, and then get them to automatically plot a route around the town... stopping at all suitable stations.

that way if you add a station or a new road vehicle they'll automatically sort itself out...
I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”