Suggestions commonly asked for

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Salvo_guy
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Salvo_guy »

What about more Stations per Town... or stations not related to a town (i like playing purely freight games)

This would require an "industry" that accepts Goods..

Maybe this "non-passenger/mail" game can become a mode of its own

Although i suspect that it would require some recoding of industries... etc... to name the stations etc...
Shorty
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Shorty »

1-town challenge games play somewhat like this. space 8 (or so) small towns around a random map, each one is considered a players possession. you may not do anything to a town other than your own or make use of an industry not bearing your towns name. since your towns are so small (each starts with <100 population, passenger services are almost a waste of time.
EagleEye
Engineer
Engineer

Post by EagleEye »

Im not sure if somebody already suggested this, but why not have an option to enable the game to go longer than 2050? For some of us that don't like to stop playing
RiTi
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by RiTi »

EagleEye wrote:Im not sure if somebody already suggested this, but why not have an option to enable the game to go longer than 2050? For some of us that don't like to stop playing
Just see others topics for the answer. For instance:

http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... light=2051
Keep life simple...
cdosr
Engineer
Engineer

Post by cdosr »

I have a suggestion for a new signal type. A two-way signal that is a normal signal in one direction and a combo-presignal in the other. That would allow for setting main-line priority signalling without the funny track combinations.

Basically, you can have a main-line using these new signals so that main-line trains can run at full speed, they would see normal green ahead of them. For someone entering from a feeder line, it would see red coming down the main-line and wait for the line to clear before entering.

Essentially, that's what the various track layouts like the one below accomplish. Train B is on the priority line so Signal C is red prohibiting train A from changing track.
Attachments
Priority.png
Priority.png (48.19 KiB) Viewed 2447 times
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

a guy some time ago tried to code a new signal which behave as NAND signal, which allowed priority tracks with less tracks and signals (one straight piece of track, and one signal) but had some limitations (odd signals in circle cause game crashes) but if somebody wants to keep the work and improve the patch, should be usefull to have logic circuits to improve the junctions handling

the patch is here http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... and+signal
david_delany
Engineer
Engineer

Terrain

Post by david_delany »

I'm a newbie to the forums, and this is my first post -
I was playing TTO from 1995 to 2000, and to my delight, when i picked it up again recently, I found this amazing community resource!

The game is revitalised for me and I'm about to load the UKRS to OTTD, I'm very much looking forward to seeing it running.

I have one suggestion but I don't know if it is a) been suggested already, or b) impossible.

What about terrain at the edge of the map? I haven't had a chance to test it yet, but I would like to know if terrain at the edge of the map could be raised so mountains etc rest against and/or are interescted by the edge?

This would greatly improve the possibilities for interesting maps and scenarios.

I understand this is an obvious observation, so I assume there has already been an answer to this question.

Thanks
bugmenot
Engineer
Engineer

Better AI

Post by bugmenot »

Everyone I know in RL, who had played this game, complains about the AI..
RainierWatcher
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by RainierWatcher »

As a suggestion, I am sure I am not the only one who finds that 3 levels of zoom just isn't enough on the bigger maps. A go to view (coordinate of a square) function or similar would be useful.
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

Open the ingame console, scrollto <coordinate>
NitroX infinity
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by NitroX infinity »

Been playing OTTD for a few weeks now after a long time of not playing any TT game (used to play TTD & TTDP) and I find that some things bother me.

The first thing is the timelapse. Before you know it, a year has passed. There's no way to sit back and enjoy your trains/vehicles or game for a prolongued time.

I would like an option so that you can set the speed at which time moves. I'm not talking about the fast-forward button but one where you can specify how long a timeunit lasts in real-life. For instance, you could set it so that one month (or even a week or day) in the game would take as long as normally a year would (1 ingame day lasts X real-life minutes). This should improve realism when it comes to ingame time.

edit: I see someone else posted the same idea this afternoon.

The second thing that bothers me some, is construction. No way that in real-life you can build a railroad anywhere you like. You need to get permission first, and fill out a load of paperwork.

I suggest that if you want to construct something, you first need to get permission from the local authority. Option would be called 'Buy construction rights' and would be similar to 'Buy exclusive transport rights' but it would not be exclusive. So you could buy these construction rights and your opponent too. (Building in multiple authority area's would require you to buy the rights from each of these authorities).

Second part of this is to move the 'Buy exclusive transport rights' from city authorities to industries and add another function called 'Buy transport rights' (the latter would not be an exclusive deal, your opponent could still buy rights too). These rights would have to be renewed once a year, and offcourse the 'exclusive' deal would cost more.

So in order to build a coal train you'd need to do the following:

1. Buy building rights from all local authorities involved.
Not only would they want a sum of money upfront, they would also take a percentage of the profits.

2. Buy transport rights from the coalmine and powerplant.
Again, they'd want money upfront and a percentage of the profits.

3. Build your line and train.

4. After a year, renew the contracts. Or, if the line is obsolete you could terminate the contract earlier, which would cost you money, or select an option 'Do not renew this contract next year'. (An option would allow for automatic renewel of contracts)
Dave

Post by Dave »

NitroX infinity wrote:Been playing OTTD for a few weeks now after a long time of not playing any TT game (used to play TTD & TTDP) and I find that some things bother me.

The first thing is the timelapse. Before you know it, a year has passed. There's no way to sit back and enjoy your trains/vehicles or game for a prolongued time.

I would like an option so that you can set the speed at which time moves. I'm not talking about the fast-forward button but one where you can specify how long a timeunit lasts in real-life. For instance, you could set it so that one month (or even a week or day) in the game would take as long as normally a year would (1 ingame day lasts X real-life minutes). This should improve realism when it comes to ingame time.

edit: I see someone else posted the same idea this afternoon.
Isn't that done?
The second thing that bothers me some, is construction. No way that in real-life you can build a railroad anywhere you like. You need to get permission first, and fill out a load of paperwork.

I suggest that if you want to construct something, you first need to get permission from the local authority. Option would be called 'Buy construction rights' and would be similar to 'Buy exclusive transport rights' but it would not be exclusive. So you could buy these construction rights and your opponent too. (Building in multiple authority area's would require you to buy the rights from each of these authorities).

Second part of this is to move the 'Buy exclusive transport rights' from city authorities to industries and add another function called 'Buy transport rights' (the latter would not be an exclusive deal, your opponent could still buy rights too). These rights would have to be renewed once a year, and offcourse the 'exclusive' deal would cost more.

So in order to build a coal train you'd need to do the following:

1. Buy building rights from all local authorities involved.
Not only would they want a sum of money upfront, they would also take a percentage of the profits.

2. Buy transport rights from the coalmine and powerplant.
Again, they'd want money upfront and a percentage of the profits.

3. Build your line and train.

4. After a year, renew the contracts. Or, if the line is obsolete you could terminate the contract earlier, which would cost you money, or select an option 'Do not renew this contract next year'. (An option would allow for automatic renewel of contracts)
This was an idea originally mooted for Transport Empire (which is currently dead in the water, or nearly so).

The trouble with implementing this in OTTD (or, alas, TTDP) is that it would completely overhaul the game in many ways - the AI would need changing, the system would need adapting to restrict train building. And what about the areas on the map that have a local authority setting of "None"? This isn't realistic because in Britain, at least, every square inch of land has some sort of local authority, so the game would need to be adapted to accomodate this too.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
ewger
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ewger »

I suggest that if you want to construct something, you first need to get permission from the local authority.

[skip..]

I suppose that I have duplicated this
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?t=30957

Dups in this forum really s#ck.. Some dups just don't want to be found :) I think we need a ticket system for all suggestions with category ordering. A list of features in post is not enough.

Any ideas?
Dave Worley wrote: This was an idea originally mooted for Transport Empire (which is currently dead in the water, or nearly so).
:?

Someday OpenTTD will be successfully ported to something less dependently complex then C.
world is a small place for all of us.
//wbr
l_Blue_l
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by l_Blue_l »

There is a wiki page here which is much more advanced then the list at the start of this topic. It is still a fairly new page and more information and links need to be provided but it will help a lot with storing and sorting of information related to suggestions and there status in development.
usbserial
Engineer
Engineer

Post by usbserial »

Hi, this is my first post. I just recently found OpenTTD and... WOW is all I can say. So many terrific improvements that make the game fun to play again.

I think one commonly requested item is an option for realistic aircraft speeds. TTDPatch has it... for openTTD it should at least be optional. Trains going faster than jet engine planes? C'mon.

I think an option to allow more than 2 airports per town has also been requested by many. Or perhaps rather than just allowing more airports, allow more airports of different types. For example: max 2 city airports, 2 smaller airports (small/commuter), and 2 heli-type ports.

I'll also throw in a suggestion of my own that I'm sure others have noticed.
Something should be done with the ferry situation. When many ferries have the same route, they tend to stack on top of each other. This is caused by the delay for loading... the first ones theres wait for loading, when the later ones get there, they leave almost instantly because all the cargo has been taken by the first few ships. So over a period of a few years, eventually all the ferries are perfectly stacked. A small random wait time could fix this or maybe make it so that docks can only process 1 ship at a time, with a delay of 1 or 2 seconds between ships. Actually, that could lead to larger, new types of docks/ports able to handle more ships at once. It's rather unrealistic for 10 ships to be able to load/unload at a 1x2 dock at the same time.

Thanks.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Been requested. Been requested multiple times. I think it's been coded too. Just not committed.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

If you mean planespeeds, you've not been paying much attention:

r8973 (over 800 commits back): -Feature/Codechange: Changed the internal unit for aircraft velocities to from 8mph to 1km/h (peter1138), also give aircraft realsitic velocities

It isnt TTDP planespeed as you cant fiddle with the speed settings.
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Want to organise your trains? Try Routemarkers.
--- ==== --- === --- === ---
Firework Photography
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

richk67 wrote:It isnt TTDP planespeed as you cant fiddle with the speed settings.
Which is a bummer...
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
MrMox
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by MrMox »

Dave Worley wrote:
NitroX infinity wrote: I would like an option so that you can set the speed at which time moves. I'm not talking about the fast-forward button but one where you can specify how long a timeunit lasts in real-life. For instance, you could set it so that one month (or even a week or day) in the game would take as long as normally a year would (1 ingame day lasts X real-life minutes). This should improve realism when it comes to ingame time.
Isn't that done?
If it is, I'd like to know how it's done. Been through the various settings and can't seem to locate it.
tycoon-2007
Engineer
Engineer

Need traffic signs for trains

Post by tycoon-2007 »

Hello...

It would be great, in addition to signals, to add some traffic signs for trains. For example I'd like to be able to place some ">" sign over the railway, that will allow the train to go only in one direction and not another. IMHO, this would make it easier to make complex interconnections, generally for several trains using the same tracks.

Here's what I mean:
http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/8599/tycoonun5.png

What I'd like to achieve, is to make the trains go only clockwise, and not in the opposite direction - avoiding situations when two trains create a time jam, like the one shown in the screenshot below:
http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/8553/tycoon2lk8.png

Well, in general this is a common behaviour for real trains, to use different tracks on their way back.

Thanks for a wonderful game!
Last edited by tycoon-2007 on 08 Apr 2007 20:21, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”