Suggestions commonly asked for

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Suggestions commonly asked for

Post by Wahazar »

I did not found any proposal about ranking improvement.
Currently there is usually round 900 points, because all goals are relatively ease to achieve,
whereas minimal profit goal is rather impossible to fulfill if transfer orders/cargodist are in use.

My proposal is, to use station ratings instead of minimal profit ranking.
Such rating can be an average ranking from the 10 stations with the highest ranking
(if company have less than 10 stations, missing stations are treated as with 0 rating).
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

McZapkie wrote:I did not found any proposal about ranking improvement.
Currently there is usually round 900 points, because all goals are relatively ease to achieve,
whereas minimal profit goal is rather impossible to fulfill if transfer orders/cargodist are in use.

My proposal is, to use station ratings instead of minimal profit ranking.
Such rating can be an average ranking from the 10 stations with the highest ranking
(if company have less than 10 stations, missing stations are treated as with 0 rating).
How about a configurable rating, including an option to turn off the rating completely? In stead of arguing what should be included in that 1 set of rating, each players (or server admin) can decide how each player should be rated (what category, and weight of each), and game should provide what's available for those ratings?
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Sounds like a game script to me :p

I don't know if you can measure all that is required, but if not, such things can be extended.
As for the window itself, I'd say the extended rating window can be emulated in a story-ish page.

With those two elements, the entire extended performance rating window isn't of much use anymore, maybe it should be dropped.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
Roslav
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Roslav »

Alberth wrote:Sounds like a game script to me :p
But with game script for ranking you lose "slot" for another gamescript potentially enhancing gameplay
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

Is there any way I can take a Giant Screenshot but just not of the whole map? When I do a regular GS the file is way too big to even open in my Paint program as I don't have a huge amount of memory.

This would be great for making piste maps if I could have a large ish screenshot. Thanks.
Total Alpine Replacement Set: Industry, Town, Objects
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

you can zoom out and make a zoomed-in screenshot of the visible area via the ?-menu
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

That's awesome - thanks Eddi. I never knew there were so many options in the ?-menu.
Total Alpine Replacement Set: Industry, Town, Objects
te_lanus
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator
Location: The Elizabeth Arkham Asylum for the Criminally Insane

Post by te_lanus »

One thing I would love is the ability of vehicles/trains/planes to go to the nearest depot when the vehicle gets old and "needs" replacing. IE a PAX train setup to go between St. Petersburg and Moscow, when it reaches the age limit (ie 40 years) it'll zip of to the nearest depot and autorenew.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

wtf are you talking about? that has been a feature for like 10 years now...
te_lanus
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by te_lanus »

Eddi wrote:wtf are you talking about? that has been a feature for like 10 years now...
I've played three games now where trains never got replaced, ending up with trains running decades after it should have automagically gone to be replaced.

Since I play with breakdowns off, trains don't go the depot to be serviced, if I understand this correctly: https://wiki.openttd.org/No_servicing_if_no_breakdowns. And if I understand it correctly, since trains won't go to depots and be replaced automagically unless you explicitly tell them. Thus my "suggestion".
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

Trains do go to depots when you start replacing vehicles even with that option enabled and breakdowns disabled, as long as the trains can find a path to a depot.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

Careful here. Trains go to Autoreplace [to a different type], but not Autorenew [to the same type] when breakdowns (and servicing) are disabled.

there is no point in autorenew when breakdowns are disabled (but the message should be suppressed)
te_lanus
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by te_lanus »

One thing that will make my gaming a little bit more profitable, a option in the news section that pops up at a prescribed time, when a cargo vehicle sits at a station and never receive cargo, because you forgot to refit it to the required cargo.

Thus a train sitting at a sand quarry (firs used for example) and you forgot that it's default is coal, thus will never receive anything. After X months you get a news article that Train X has yet to receive any goods on the last X months.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Total expences column
I hadn't actually thought of this. Would it be possible to implement a total expense vs total income for the entire game into OpenTTD? (If already implemented, i've totally overlooked and not seen it!) That'd be a rather neat little statistic i'd feel.
te_lanus wrote:One thing that will make my gaming a little bit more profitable, a option in the news section that pops up at a prescribed time, when a cargo vehicle sits at a station and never receive cargo, because you forgot to refit it to the required cargo.
I'd like to vouch for this one if its ever found feasible and reasonable to put into trunk. It happens a lot to me...
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

At the first of the year the news toolbar notifies you of every vehicle that didn't make a profit in the last year.
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

kamnet wrote:At the first of the year the news toolbar notifies you of every vehicle that didn't make a profit in the last year.
Except this doesn't apply to brand new vehicles, the game waits a year or two until this notification appears for them.
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
te_lanus
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by te_lanus »

kamnet wrote:At the first of the year the news toolbar notifies you of every vehicle that didn't make a profit in the last year.
I normally play with this setting off, as my playstyle I end up with quite a few trains/buses/trams that run on negative income. And being reminded each year that you have 50+ vehicles that is running in the red gets quite annoying.
jeremyquann
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jeremyquann »

There's traffic lights. I hope you can add them in if you like.
Flamefire
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Flamefire »

Closing windows with right-click would also be great: https://bugs.openttd.org/task/4950
apostrophe
Engineer
Engineer

Post by apostrophe »

Flamefire wrote:Closing windows with right-click would also be great: https://bugs.openttd.org/task/4950
This omg

Also, would be nice to visualize the data the map (hotkey f4) shows on the game screen. The pixel map make for a bad macro assessment.

Also, a hotkey for assigning orders, if there isn't one.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”