Suggestions commonly asked for

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

CazadorSirenas
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Suggestions commonly asked for

Post by CazadorSirenas »

... Whoa 8o Really, 64 types of and roads rails? Can't even imagine what people would need to do with that many! But thanks for the info.

Anyway, I wish the best of luck to the developers for the new suggestions. I got to read the "Requested features" in the wiki page and saw that at least the infrastructure sharing seems to be at 75%, so I guess there's actual hope for that? Though the page states it's outdated, so I don't really know when was the last time someone checked the stats. I might be completely fooled :P
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

CazadorSirenas wrote: 13 Oct 2020 22:45 ... Whoa 8o Really, 64 types of and roads rails? Can't even imagine what people would need to do with that many! But thanks for the info.

Anyway, I wish the best of luck to the developers for the new suggestions. I got to read the "Requested features" in the wiki page and saw that at least the infrastructure sharing seems to be at 75%, so I guess there's actual hope for that? Though the page states it's outdated, so I don't really know when was the last time someone checked the stats. I might be completely fooled :P
As of right now, there is only one person who is actively maintaining an Infrastructure Sharing patch, which is JGR, and he maintains that pretty much exclusively for use in his own patch pack, and it's tuned to his preferences. Although he does work with OpenTTD developers, as far as I know he has not submitted his version for review or inclusion in OpenTTD. From what he's said, the patch works good enough for his liking and he's happy to keep supporting it in his patch pack.

I'd love to see it included in OpenTTD one day, though. It's been one of my favorite patches.

As for 64 types of rails and roads, that can easily get filled up. For rails, most of them are variants of electrified railways and the various power levels. Some are just purely for looks. There's also a set of maglev rails which replicates the several maglev standards that are out there. There's a couple of different narrow gauge and broad gauge rails. There is also a set that uses rails to replicate pipelines, and another that replicates distribution of electricity and electronic mail, and also functions as advanced railway signaling.

For roads, we have a couple of different sets that have various types of dirt and paved roads, there's a set that has roads which matches tiles from CHIPS and ISR, we've got some electrified road for trolleybuses, electrified and unelectrified rails for trams/streetcars/lightrail, and a set that replicates functional canals like you would see in Venice.
Amak
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Amak »

Not sure if this is commonly suggested,

Would like a setting (or a cheat) that allows me to 'overwrite' road+tram stations rather than have to demolish and rebuild them in the right direction. That would be very handy to super lazy me who always forgets.

Thanks for reading.
i4sun
Engineer
Engineer

Post by i4sun »

If possible, please allow us to adjust the speed/reliability/time of the transport for single player.
Scanz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Scanz »

Fix Economic with f*** OP planes.
introduce FIRS mod (factory) in main game by default
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Scanz wrote: 07 Apr 2021 12:33 Fix Economic with f*** OP planes.
introduce FIRS mod (factory) in main game by default
#1 is fixed by NewGRFs.
#2 will never happen because this is why we created NewGRF spec.
Daspir
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Daspir »

Something that I think would be a pretty cool feature to the game is to have different traffic signals for road vehicles similar to the railroad signals. I feel like this could add some more complexity and options to road vehicles like it does for trains.

A stop signal could be used in order to prevent a truck/bus from crossing railroad track while a train is heading toward them, and a yield sign could be used before a roundabout so that vehicles going into it have to give way before driving in.

Another thing unrelated to traffic signals that I came to think of would be if road vehicles could drive on both lanes if the road is one-way.
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

A patch for road traffic lights did exist at one point. They did work and were cool but I recall they were a massive CPU hog. I once generated a map with them in every city and it was unplayabke before I had even built anything.
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

Speaking of signals - I'd love to have more different styles of railway signals.

Currently, there is only the semaphore and the light signal styles. Both look very weird in particular when using them with some narrow gauge sets such as the "600mm narrow gauge trains" from McZapkie, where they bascially "dwarf" all trains and such rural and industrial lines often only have only rudimentary signalling at all.

And if you play large "real-world" "international" maps that stretch multiple countries, it would be nice to have the ones that fit the different regions in parallel. For example, already Dutch and German signalling systems are very different:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_railway_signalling
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railway_s ... in_Germany

But I admit it would only be for the visual appearance, no function added, so I understand if it is not a big priority (or could signals also be made "re-defineable" by NewGRF, at least in principle?)
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

And when already posting in that thread here - more conditional orders for loading/unloading cargo

In particular, what I miss is the ability to only partially load or unload a train.

For example, I have a "transport hub" at station A and I want a train to supply stations B, C, and D along a branch line with a certain cargo. Then currently there is only the following option, as far as I know:

Load at A, go to B, fully unload, go back to A, load again, go non-stop to C, unload, go back to A, load again, go non-stop to D, unload, go back to A, start cycle again

However, it would be neat to have

Load at A, go to B, unload either a certain amount of cargo (x boxes/liters/tons) or a certain percentage of cargo that is currently on the train, then continue to C, unload another certain amount of cargo, then go to D and unload all rest.

For example, going with % unloading, to equally supply all three stations on the line, one could load as much as is currently around or load to full capacity (already possible) at A, then go to B, unload 33%, go to C, unload 50% (half of the 66% remaining from the previous stop would be another 33%), go to D and unload all rest (another 33%).

Or, with e.g. C a major city and B and D only villages that are to receive less cargo, load at A to whatever, then go to B, unload 25%, go to C, unload 66% of remaing (75% of total times 0.66 is 50%), then go to D and unload rest (another approx. 25%).

That would be convenient, as you don't need to store what was initially loaded, you just always unload a certain percentage of what is still on board.

And the same for a "return trip". Start with empty train, then say at stop D only load to 25% of full capacity possible, go to C, load to 75% of full capacity (add 50% to the already 25% on board), then go to B, fully load (another 25%) and go to A to unload.

I know that generally you could also have three trains, with each of them serving only one connection A-B, A-C, and A-D with either loading or unloading, but this way B closest to A would have more frequent service than C and D, where trains run longer to reach. Again, this could be accounted for by having only a short train go to B, a longer train to C and a very long train to D, but it would be much less intuitive and also less realistic than define what to do at each station.

Now, what to happen when a train for whatever reason goes empty before reaching the final stop - then simply 50% of zero cargo is still zero and the train will run a certain stretch of track empty - that's the responsibility of the operater (= player) to make sure it is not happening, as in real life(tm)
jez
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by jez »

Clipboard.
=== Jez ===
mauried
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Waypoints for road vehicles.

Post by mauried »

Way points for road vehicles would be useful now.
I found some old discussion regarding this from way back in around 2005 but there wasnt much interest then as there was no real use for them.
Now that the game , at least some of the patch packs have conditional orders available, and they exist for both trains and ships (buoys) it would help if the road vehicles had them as well.
The reason they are needed is when making a conditional order it helps a lot to be able to customize the route the vehicles take to get from A to B , and while you can achieve the same outcome just by using small stations where the vehicles dont stop to load or unload, they in fact still do stop for a short time and then start again.
With a busy road and vehicles stopping and starting for no reason its easy to get traffic clogs.
Alternatively if way points cant be made for road vehicles, can the unnecessary stopping for vehicles which arnt loading or unloading at a station be removed.
kamnet

Re: Waypoints for road vehicles.

Post by kamnet »

mauried wrote: 04 Sep 2021 23:34 Way points for road vehicles would be useful now.
I found some old discussion regarding this from way back in around 2005 but there wasnt much interest then as there was no real use for them.
Now that the game , at least some of the patch packs have conditional orders available, and they exist for both trains and ships (buoys) it would help if the road vehicles had them as well.
The reason they are needed is when making a conditional order it helps a lot to be able to customize the route the vehicles take to get from A to B , and while you can achieve the same outcome just by using small stations where the vehicles dont stop to load or unload, they in fact still do stop for a short time and then start again.
With a busy road and vehicles stopping and starting for no reason its easy to get traffic clogs.
Alternatively if way points cant be made for road vehicles, can the unnecessary stopping for vehicles which arnt loading or unloading at a station be removed.
Use the command "go non-stop via [station name]" and the vehicle will go through it without stopping, acting as a waypoint.
mauried
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mauried »

Thanks, Ive tried the non stop option, but the vehicles still stop for a short period of time , around 2 seconds normally.
The only way I can get vehicles to go non stop thru a station without stopping at all is to not include the stations name in the orders but provide no alternative way for the vehicles to get to where they going , and then they dont stop.
Its no big deal , but some of the trucks which can carry a decent cargo are slow to get going again after they stop so its easy to get a traffic clog.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

the next order after the "go via" must also be "non stop"
mauried
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mauried »

Thanks that works.
Ive never played with vias, in fact didnt even know they existed.
cya
AmazingStroopwafel
Engineer
Engineer

Post by AmazingStroopwafel »

I don't know if this is the correct place to post my suggestions but I don't know where else to post it. I would like to see an option in the map generator to have mountains or higher elevation on the map edges of your choosing. Just like how you now can choose to have a coast line or not. Because the maximum (and only) slope angle in the game is 45 degrees most maps that have high maximum height settings rarely come close to these settings if you also want to have some coastline somewhere on your map.

Another thing I would like to suggest is that I would like the map generator to be able to generate wider rivers and lakes at higher altitudes than sea level. This will probably be way harder to implement because of the way rivers are generated now. I would like rivers to be more of an obstacle rather than just one tile wide. Preferably I would like the map generator to be able to generate locations like in this image from Fredinho's entry of the screenshot of the month competition, although that will probably not be easy.
CazadorSirenas
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CazadorSirenas »

Hey, this picture reminded me of something I thought about time ago but totally forgot! :)

It's about the cableway/cablecar. Has anyone implemented this? Is there any NewGRF? I don't mean as a mere decoration (though ok, I could do with that as well), but an actual station for people cargo, going up and down slopes. I think it would be quite cool and original! :shock:
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

OpenTTD does not support stations on slopes.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

CazadorSirenas wrote: 04 Dec 2021 13:13 Hey, this picture reminded me of something I thought about time ago but totally forgot! :)

It's about the cableway/cablecar. Has anyone implemented this? Is there any NewGRF? I don't mean as a mere decoration (though ok, I could do with that as well), but an actual station for people cargo, going up and down slopes. I think it would be quite cool and original! :shock:
Project Gondola on Bananas offers small ski lift-type vehicles. Cable Cars offers a couple of small-ish rail cars for you to play with.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”