Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Suggestions commonly asked for

Post by Eddi »

no, and no.

the use of 3D-models does not mean they can be used ingame like this. but also "the whole game" does not need to be rewritten, only the drawing part (which is big, but not that big)

but besides the sheer size of the coding effort, you also run into the problem that you have to support "legacy" graphics which are not 3D (the original graphics and pretty much all current and old NewGRFs)
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

SwissFan91 wrote:I have absolutely no idea about the technical side of OTTD, but does the use of 3D models in some 32bpp sets mean that we could eventually be able to produce the game in a 3D view, similar to the old playstation version of Transport Tycoon using these graphics?

Or is it more the case that the whole game itself would need re-writing from the ground up to accommodate this?
As Eddi said: no, that doesn't mean that. At least not necessarily. And technically sprites and 3D models work quite different. But of course as long as there are not 3D models for stuff, there's nearly little point in even considering that. It's a bit catch-22 :D

The limitation that one either has to forsake all existing sprites or keep the one perspective and existing zoom levels and only use the models to generate the sprites. Such a change would basically transform OpenTTD in a different game - which can be nice or bad, depending on personal taste.

Yet still: generating the sprites from models has some advantages in the way that models can be rotated and scaled and re-rendered, all that with comparably little effort, if the model exists. Thus they might offer a big time advantage in creating sprites. The usual pitfalls with scaling textures, and differently appropriate level of details for different zoom levels apply, if you want perfect sprites as result :-) Even if you prefer hand-drawn sprites, having sprites rendered from a model which just needs some finishing touches can be helpful, if you mind the different scales for vehicles in -, / and | direction ;-)
Mr Fox
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mr Fox »

Here a few suggestions: Early vehicles, I know there are early road vehicles like horse carriage and steam truck. But I was talking like sail boat and steam boat. Early airplanes before 1930. Also hot air balloons, zeppelins with early airport. More early trains would be fun, like the Rocket?

I know that disaster was wanted, but that need to be made to make the game more fun.

A city asking for steal for expansion.

I don't know if the following should be a map or something, but vehicles from Jule Vern's book. A futuristic world view by him or how the future was view in that time.

Also futuristic vehicles, like trucks, trains, planes and boat for the future of like 2050?

Fishing industry would be good, like sending a fish boat to get fish like you have offshore platform for petrol.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Don Karnage wrote:But I was talking like sail boat and steam boat.
Done.
Don Karnage wrote:Early airplanes before 1930. Also zeppelins...
Done.
Don Karnage wrote:Also hot air ballons...
Done.
Don Karnage wrote:More early trains would be fun, like the Rocket?
Done and done and done.
Don Karnage wrote:Fishing industry would be good, like sending a fish boat to get fish like you have offshore platform for petrol.
Done and done.
Don Karnage wrote:Also futuristic vehicles, like trucks, trains, planes and boat for the future of like 2050?
Perhaps you need to look around a bit more... loads of sets have included futuristic vehicles.
Last edited by kamnet on 15 Oct 2013 15:36, edited 1 time in total.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Don Karnage wrote: Fishing industry would be good, like sending a fish boat to get fish like you have offshore platform for petrol.
fishing.png
fishing.png (16.1 KiB) Viewed 10866 times
regards
Michael
TinyMusic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by TinyMusic »

kamnet wrote:
Don Karnage wrote:Also futuristic vehicles, like trucks, trains, planes and boat for the future of like 2050?
Perhaps you need to look around a bit more... loads of sets have included futuristic vehicles.
Like the vacuum tube railway set
Formerly known as UseYourIllusion.
Java Scenario Found Here - Version 2 out
[tweɪ̂ pû tɕʰì wɔ̀ mǐlɤ lû tɕʰìŋ nì pɑ́ŋmɑ̌ŋ]
Mr Fox
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mr Fox »

kamnet wrote:
Don Karnage wrote:But I was talking like sail boat and steam boat.
Done.

Where can I find that new grf?
Don Karnage wrote:Early airplanes before 1930. Also zeppelins...
Done.
Don Karnage wrote:Also hot air ballons...
Done.
Don Karnage wrote:More early trains would be fun, like the Rocket?
Done and done and done.

Not sure I have see it any where.
Don Karnage wrote:Fishing industry would be good, like sending a fish boat to get fish like you have offshore platform for petrol.
Done and done.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

All of the replies are links to pages for the additions you're looking for. In addition, most of these are available via the in-game content download service.
deemacgee
Engineer
Engineer

Post by deemacgee »

Just a couple of suggestions, may well have been posted elsewhere:

"Stackable" (elevated) stations: that is, train stations on top of train stations, bus/lorry stops on top of bus/lorry stops, or combinations thereof (especially with roads).
Train stations which can be "stacked" at 90-degree angles on top of or underneath an existing station.
Underground train stations/bus and lorry stops/light rail stops.
Stackable and elevated rail lines/roads - or, put another way, bypass the limit on the number of bridges through the same tiles.
Bridges which can overlap/intersect at 90 degree angles.

Suppose the thrust of it is: to assemble transit infrastructure vertically (above- and below-ground) and perpendicular to existing infrastructure.

I am reminded of two real-life examples: Wolli Creek Station here in Sydney, Australia - new rail lines were built under the existing track and two platforms sit at 45-degree angles to the ground-level station.
In Brisbane, Australia, the Queen Street Mall Bus Interchange is actually subterranean - bus stops are underground, freeing up streets for cars and pedestrians.

Also - and I don't know how plausible this is - the idea of "persistent travellers": i.e., people trying to commute to a specific location on the map. Someone in City A might board a bus to catch a train to the airport to take a plane to City B, where they find the light rail stop to take them to the ferry wharf which delivers them to their destination... that sort of thing.

Anyway. Great game, have lost hours to it since the original... twenty years ago this year. :)

Cheers
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

deemacgee wrote:Bridges which can overlap/intersect at 90 degree angles.
while this is technically already possible, it's explicitly disabled because we do not have graphics for bridges passing through each other
Suppose the thrust of it is: to assemble transit infrastructure vertically (above- and below-ground)
that has been on the wishlist for ages.
Also - and I don't know how plausible this is - the idea of "persistent travellers"
that is already a new feature in the upcoming 1.4 release. (check out the current beta)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

deemacgee wrote:"Stackable" (elevated) stations: that is, train stations on top of train stations, bus/lorry stops on top of bus/lorry stops, or combinations thereof (especially with roads).
Train stations which can be "stacked" at 90-degree angles on top of or underneath an existing station.
Underground train stations/bus and lorry stops/light rail stops.
Suppose the thrust of it is: to assemble transit infrastructure vertically (above- and below-ground) and perpendicular to existing infrastructure.
IIRC, some time ago the devs and a few others did figure out how to allow for things like a bridge to pass over a station tile, but the main hurdle is trying to find a way to cram that data into the game's map array to make it all work.

As for underground layers, a Russian coder did develop an underground patch, but stopped development on it last year after he determined that he wasn't knowledgeable enough as to how to make the "top" layer and subsequent "underground" layers transect each other. The patch allows you to place a special station tile at a point, and then share that station on other layers. But actual objects like trains, vehicles etc. can't move from the top layer to the next layer down. The devs haven't taken this project up yet.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Take over a company

Post by Baldy's Boss »

TimTie wrote:Now when you take over a other company it will merge in your campany. And in the time you don't have the 100% of the shares you don't get any money for it.

- I was thinking if we change the way of we buy stock from 25% each time to 5% each time. For every 5% you have shares get 5% of 50% from the profit of the company.
Example:
Profit: $ 10,000,-
Shares: 25%
You get: $ 1,250,-

- When you got 100% of the shares you can choose it the company as to merge with yours of that it may function as a dauther company from you organistion. At the moment you choose for option 2 you get 50% of the profit from the dauther company. There needs to be always the options tot murge. Because you control that company there will be need a new menu option where you can give that company a assignment to build, take money and give money, take and give exsisting routes.
Example:
You take all the dauthers rail tracks or 1 track.
He gets all the bus route or 1 bus route from you.

- The other thing was how more shares you get from a company how more to say in that company.
Example:
-Say by 30% of the shares you may remove crossings from roads that are no real crossings. So that you can build a bridig over it.
- By 55% you may give a preference where that company may build something.
- By 85% you may change tracks/ roads (No trainstations/ busstations) to lay it in a better way. Only when you build a detour before you begin you may change it.

I hope it will be clear what I mean.
8 years ago and we still don't have more realistic merger/takeover finances.Delegating set areas of management to the acquired AI might be good!
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re:

Post by Baldy's Boss »

pynkfloyd wrote:heres an idea unless theres already a grf for it:

currently the only things on the roads are yours and other companies vehicles. now what if there were other vehicles on the roads such as cars and vans (trucks and buses would biss the point as they would belong to other companies). they could randomly roam the map just as in games such as simcity and industry giant.
Some way to replicate the effect on rail transport of the widened availability of private cars would be good.As roads spread,so do alternatives to being your company's customer.And yet,money to be had carrying cars from manufacturers on your trains...
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re:

Post by Baldy's Boss »

NitroX infinity wrote:Been playing OTTD for a few weeks now after a long time of not playing any TT game (used to play TTD & TTDP) and I find that some things bother me.

The first thing is the timelapse. Before you know it, a year has passed. There's no way to sit back and enjoy your trains/vehicles or game for a prolongued time.

I would like an option so that you can set the speed at which time moves. I'm not talking about the fast-forward button but one where you can specify how long a timeunit lasts in real-life. For instance, you could set it so that one month (or even a week or day) in the game would take as long as normally a year would (1 ingame day lasts X real-life minutes). This should improve realism when it comes to ingame time.

edit: I see someone else posted the same idea this afternoon.

The second thing that bothers me some, is construction. No way that in real-life you can build a railroad anywhere you like. You need to get permission first, and fill out a load of paperwork.

I suggest that if you want to construct something, you first need to get permission from the local authority. Option would be called 'Buy construction rights' and would be similar to 'Buy exclusive transport rights' but it would not be exclusive. So you could buy these construction rights and your opponent too. (Building in multiple authority area's would require you to buy the rights from each of these authorities).

Second part of this is to move the 'Buy exclusive transport rights' from city authorities to industries and add another function called 'Buy transport rights' (the latter would not be an exclusive deal, your opponent could still buy rights too). These rights would have to be renewed once a year, and offcourse the 'exclusive' deal would cost more.

So in order to build a coal train you'd need to do the following:

1. Buy building rights from all local authorities involved.
Not only would they want a sum of money upfront, they would also take a percentage of the profits.

2. Buy transport rights from the coalmine and powerplant.
Again, they'd want money upfront and a percentage of the profits.

3. Build your line and train.

4. After a year, renew the contracts. Or, if the line is obsolete you could terminate the contract earlier, which would cost you money, or select an option 'Do not renew this contract next year'. (An option would allow for automatic renewel of contracts)
Some good ideas here...I'd add that when you own 75% (or some finer-grained majority if share purchases are enhanced) of another company,you should have access to their contracts and be able to share their exclusives.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

bugfinder wrote:
Now I'll admit that this last one might be a little wacko but after reading some of the "serious" or was it perhaps the most common suggestions I'm not so sure.
How about them pipelines! I mean is it really that common to ship oil from an oilrig to shoore. It should be possible to build them on ground, under ground and under water, that might be difficult.

This one is not possible and I dont think it adds much to gameplay, ofcourse I am not the one to decide tho.
JFK YOU ARE A GENUIS!!!
How about this guys, a lot and I mean a LOT of liquid goods are transported by pipeline, yeah? To implement this we could:
1. Have pipes that are specifically designed to carry one type of liquid. Pipes that get old after a while or rust or whatever after time and upkeep costs result.
2. New pipes like steel or even platium pipes that are designed to carry one type of liquid faster (like new trains).
3. Bigger/Wider pipes to carry more at once. (Like a longer train.
4. PUMP STATIONS (Pump stations, which act as the engine for a train) which need to be placed at certain intervals to move the liquid along.
5. New pump stations with more efficiency (less breakdowns) and more power to move the liquid faster. They can be placed like stations in order to handle more pipelines at once.
6. Different liquids (ok we can still have water and oil) like the oil refinery or a sub-industry after the oil refinery that is a central heating plant that can be used to heat the oil and supply it to towns (people that live in european countries will understand what I mean) and we can have that in maybe the artic map.
o - Another liquid could be maple syrup or cola for the candyland map.
o - Gas pipelines like you mentioned.
7. Payment would be based on a "amount delivered" per day.
8. Although this kinda kills the whole logic aspect of the placing of signals and rail network design

This could be a lot of hardwork, and it is something i cannot clearly do. I can draw grfs, nor make code for them or even program new code into the releases to handle this new transportation/payment technique.
Pipelines can be built linking oil wells to refineries,etc. but three's a need for realism in how they compete with tanker trucks/trains.And a matter of bureaucratic clearance.(How about local authorities not wanting hazmats through certain zones?...also an interference in routing uranium fuel to and waste casks from nuclear power plants,if added.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

kamnet wrote:Because OpenTTD is a clone of Transport Tycoon Deluxe, it must provide support for the original TTD base graphics. OpenTTD can introduce new code that TTD did not, such as the rotated airports with altered state machine (the code that controls how the airplanes circle, land and take off). This has no effects on the graphics, as long as the graphics are there to use. The airport graphics are not made up of one single individual block of graphics. Each type and orientation is made up of several tiles of graphics grouped together. This is how OpenTTD can add the new airport sizes and layouts, because it doesn't require new graphics. As long as those graphics are included in the base set, it can be done.

If OpenTTD only used the OpenGFX graphics set, then it wouldn't be a problem to include the rotated airport sprites from OpenGFX+ Airports. However, because the game has to also support the original TTD graphics, which do not include the required rotated sprites, nor can we legally alter those sprites, allowing that code to run while using the original TTD base graphics would produce graphical errors. There's now way to fix those errors. That's why OpenGFX+ Airports is a NewGRF add-on and not part of the core game. Of course, I personally would not be offended if devs dropped support for the TTD base graphics, since they're no longer required in order to play the game, but there are way too many players, coders and fans who would be upset with this change.
So is THIS why the max zoom level leaves the screen looking like it missed the CGA-to-EGA upgrade 30 years ago?
Higher-resolution base graphics would be very appreciated.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

SwissFan91 wrote:This is probably 'commonly asked for', but would it be possible code-wise to have an option for a train to load at a station until the line ahead is clear?

It would be quite useful at passing stations where presently they will load, leave the station and wait at the signal just outside the station, possibly with carriages still at the platforms. I know it's not very realistic as proper timetabling would take care of this but I rarely have time to properly timetable my trains in OTTD.
How about whistle-stops?
Stop at station only if there is something/someone to pick up and otherwise go through without decelerating (they would have alerted the engineer to stop).
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Baldy's Boss wrote:
kamnet wrote:Because OpenTTD is a clone of Transport Tycoon Deluxe, it must provide support for the original TTD base graphics. OpenTTD can introduce new code that TTD did not, such as the rotated airports with altered state machine (the code that controls how the airplanes circle, land and take off). This has no effects on the graphics, as long as the graphics are there to use. The airport graphics are not made up of one single individual block of graphics. Each type and orientation is made up of several tiles of graphics grouped together. This is how OpenTTD can add the new airport sizes and layouts, because it doesn't require new graphics. As long as those graphics are included in the base set, it can be done.

If OpenTTD only used the OpenGFX graphics set, then it wouldn't be a problem to include the rotated airport sprites from OpenGFX+ Airports. However, because the game has to also support the original TTD graphics, which do not include the required rotated sprites, nor can we legally alter those sprites, allowing that code to run while using the original TTD base graphics would produce graphical errors. There's now way to fix those errors. That's why OpenGFX+ Airports is a NewGRF add-on and not part of the core game. Of course, I personally would not be offended if devs dropped support for the TTD base graphics, since they're no longer required in order to play the game, but there are way too many players, coders and fans who would be upset with this change.
So is THIS why the max zoom level leaves the screen looking like it missed the CGA-to-EGA upgrade 30 years ago?
Higher-resolution base graphics would be very appreciated.
The zBase 32bpp base set was created for this purpose. GRVTS 32bpp provides additional 32bpp road vehicles, and the OpenGFX+ projects are slowly adding in 32bpp objects.
Baldy's Boss wrote:
bugfinder wrote: Now I'll admit that this last one might be a little wacko but after reading some of the "serious" or was it perhaps the most common suggestions I'm not so sure.
How about them pipelines! I mean is it really that common to ship oil from an oilrig to shoore. It should be possible to build them on ground, under ground and under water, that might be difficult.

JFK YOU ARE A GENUIS!!!
How about this guys, a lot and I mean a LOT of liquid goods are transported by pipeline, yeah? To implement this we could:
1. Have pipes that are specifically designed to carry one type of liquid. Pipes that get old after a while or rust or whatever after time and upkeep costs result.
2. New pipes like steel or even platium pipes that are designed to carry one type of liquid faster (like new trains).
3. Bigger/Wider pipes to carry more at once. (Like a longer train.
4. PUMP STATIONS (Pump stations, which act as the engine for a train) which need to be placed at certain intervals to move the liquid along.
5. New pump stations with more efficiency (less breakdowns) and more power to move the liquid faster. They can be placed like stations in order to handle more pipelines at once.
6. Different liquids (ok we can still have water and oil) like the oil refinery or a sub-industry after the oil refinery that is a central heating plant that can be used to heat the oil and supply it to towns (people that live in european countries will understand what I mean) and we can have that in maybe the artic map.
o - Another liquid could be maple syrup or cola for the candyland map.
o - Gas pipelines like you mentioned.
7. Payment would be based on a "amount delivered" per day.
8. Although this kinda kills the whole logic aspect of the placing of signals and rail network design

This could be a lot of hardwork, and it is something i cannot clearly do. I can draw grfs, nor make code for them or even program new code into the releases to handle this new transportation/payment technique.
Pipelines can be built linking oil wells to refineries,etc. but three's a need for realism in how they compete with tanker trucks/trains.And a matter of bureaucratic clearance.(How about local authorities not wanting hazmats through certain zones?...also an interference in routing uranium fuel to and waste casks from nuclear power plants,if added.
The PIPES NewGRF was released in late 2012. It provides pipelines and "pumps" as a RailType and rail vehicle and is competitive with transporting liquids by train, RV and ship.
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

@Baldy's Boss

In future can you please not (Doub or Trip or Quadrup or Quintup or Sextup)le Post in the future. You can quote multiple posts in one reply. Any future infractions will result in a warning.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

roboboy wrote:@Baldy's Boss

In future can you please not (Doub or Trip or Quadrup or Quintup or Sextup)le Post in the future. You can quote multiple posts in one reply. Any future infractions will result in a warning.
For future reference,how DO you quote multiple posts in one reply?
When they're encountered on different pages one can't track them simultaneously.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”