Suggestions commonly asked for

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

buckethead
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Suggestions commonly asked for

Post by buckethead »

I don't know if this has been asked, but I often play Openttd on my Mac, but my Mac keyboard hasn't got a delete button. It would be nice to do the same thing the del button does by pressing ctrl-backspace for instance.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

buckethead wrote:I don't know if this has been asked, but I often play Openttd on my Mac, but my Mac keyboard hasn't got a delete button. It would be nice to do the same thing the del button does by pressing ctrl-backspace for instance.
The mac equivalent of the delete button is fn+backspace (at least on my macbook). And by all what I can test that works as long as I have a that machine ;-)
buckethead
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by buckethead »

Or find out only now that the alternative to the del button is fn+backspace...
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

XeryusTC wrote:Sorry to say this, but that is the most stupid suggestion I have ever heard? How would you like it if you were forced to use UKRS, AV8 and all other newgrfs by Pikka every time you try to start a new game? Or all the Swedish newgrfs? It makes absolutely no sense to force a certain set of newgrfs upon new players/installations just because you prefer it and the newgrfs are somewhat endorsed by the devs. Let people choose for themselves, if they don't take the time to download any newgrfs then maybe they like it vanilla.

Some people also play with the original graphics BTW, do you want to force OGFX+ on them too? That would certainly be a clash of visual styles.
Let me explain more clearly this time.
Everything in OpenTTD has been expanded and improved massively, but the default vehicle selection is still the same crappy one from the days of TTD. My suggestion entails hard-coding additional engines and wagons into the game, mainly to benefit new users who don't use any NewGRFs, and for those many multiplayer servers, which I feel deserve a much-improved selection of trains and other vehicles. It would come with a switch, the additional vehicles would be enabled by default when OpenGFX is present, but disabled when the original graphics are detected. I don't want to force OpenGFX+ onto users who prefer the additional graphics, but I want to let beginners who have just downloaded OpenTTD and OpenGFX to be able to enjoy a better selection of vehicles right from the start.

Basically one way to do this is to merge OpenGFX and OpenGFX+, and add the ability for base sets to define additional vehicles and other NewGRF capabilities, while coming in a single package. Or hard-coding OpenGFX+ into the game separately, with an advanced setting "Enable/Disable Additional Vehicles"
Bart Honing
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Bart Honing »

How about:

-Rotating mapview (90 degree steps)

-1 Extra zoomlevel in
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Bart Honing wrote:-Rotating mapview (90 degree steps)
Me likes that, could you please supply 11000 sprites for each rotation?
-1 Extra zoomlevel in
Me likes that, could you please supply 11000 sprites for each zoom level?
(multiplied by 4 if you also want rotated view)

Edit: Oh I forgot about the NewGRFs. You must supply additional sprites for all existing NewGRFs too.
That should be easy after finishing the above, I think.

Edit2: You are lucky, I overestimated the number of sprites. Thanks planetmaker
buckethead
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by buckethead »

Alberth wrote:Me likes that, could you please supply 11000 sprites for each rotation?
Can I peacefully ask why 11000 sprites? Sounds really a lot.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Number of sprites in OpenGFX. Keep in mind that you need to do 4 climates.
It is still an overestimated amount (eg GUI sprites don't need rotation), feel free to make a complete and accurate list.
Brumi
President
President

Post by Brumi »

There's already a patch for extra zoom levels. Download location: http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/32bpp-ez/LATEST/
By default, new sprites aren't provided, so the current graphics may look a bit weird (but not that bad in my opinion :) ).
Some sprites do exist for the extra zoom levels in the 32bpp branch, but it is heavily under development.
Just a teaser how it looks like:
Bart Honing
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Bart Honing »

Brumi wrote:There's already a patch for extra zoom levels. Download location: http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/32bpp-ez/LATEST/
By default, new sprites aren't provided, so the current graphics may look a bit weird (but not that bad in my opinion :) ).
Very nice indeed, just the thing I was looking for

Extra zoom makes users happy! :D
Bart Honing
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Bart Honing »

Alberth wrote:
Okay, I will do that. :)
Just hand me over the sprites in any form you can read/write to. It sounds really 'easy' to do.

Most tiles already exist!

Vehicles already have all directions, right? Imagine there are 8 sprites for a plane:
N-NE-E-SE-S-SW-W-NW, in original N(orth)-view of the map.

Imagine a plane is flying north, like an arrow up.

Now, turn the map 90 degrees clockwise. The tile-strip used for this plane could now simply be:
E-SE-S-SW-W-NW-N-NE

So, any planes that used to show to fly N, will now automatically show to fly E.

Same goes for the other 2 directions:

S-SW-W-NW-N-NE-E-SE (south-view) &
W-NW-N-NE-E-SE-S-SW (west-view)

Trees don’t need turning at all: just show the same tree.

Roads
all road tiles have all versions, right?
lets imagine a corner-road-tile, going from N to E, in N-view.
In E view, this tile should show a E to S tile. That tile already exist, it can be simply copied from the N-view tile-set to the E, S, & W tile-set, just make sure the new locations match up in a logical way, and DONE.

Buildings
One tile buildings: no change! NEXT!
More-tile buildings: Square base-foot (like 2by2 or 3by3) can mostly be handled by: doing nothing: NEXT!
More-tile buildings: 1 by 2, 2 by 3, etc (and 2by2's etc that could not be left untouched): already 2 versions exist: NS version, and WE version.

Imagine a building having NS direction: for N & S view, just use the same NS version. For the E & W view, show the WE version!

This can be done for most buildings, except some (like airports), that need different N E S and W version all together. Perhaps some will need to be created by hand. Oh well...

The viewing part needs some tweaking (using different tile-sets, using height-adjustments that go with that view for planes, locations of big buildings should be offset) and some of it will probably give someone a headache or two). But that also could be done. And it would be a great improvement to overall user happiness, I think.

So, really, I am not kidding, just show me where a tile-set is, and I will try to turn that into a beta-N-E-S-W version.

I am reading myself into the matter as we speak, reading http://wiki.openttd.org/Tile_Test_Tool#File_Format etc, :tongue:
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Bart Honing wrote:
Alberth wrote:
Okay, I will do that. :)
Just hand me over the sprites in any form you can read/write to. It sounds really 'easy' to do.

Buildings
One tile buildings: no change! NEXT!
More-tile buildings: Square base-foot (like 2by2 or 3by3) can mostly be handled by: doing nothing: NEXT!
More-tile buildings: 1 by 2, 2 by 3, etc (and 2by2's etc that could not be left untouched): already 2 versions exist: NS version, and WE version.
Using un-rotated graphics for 1x1 tiles during rotation will look very ugly and wrong. But even then:

I really suggest you take a look at the graphics and then it immediately becomes apparent that
- rotating a 1x2 and 2x1 building is not easily done nor do two versions exist in many cases
- industries have irregular layout as do airports
- multi-tile buildings are split into smaller parts which cannot be simply rotated

http://mz.openttdcoop.org/opengfx/newgr ... ,4569:4789
http://mz.openttdcoop.org/opengfx/newgr ... 83,322:327
http://mz.openttdcoop.org/opengfx/newgr ... 71,310:311
http://mz.openttdcoop.org/opengfx/newgr ... 42,557:586
and those which I overlooked and others in the extra base set file.

Look how interesting the method for rotation will be for things like sawmill, steel mill or banks.
This can be done for most buildings, except some (like airports), that need different N E S and W version all together. Perhaps some will need to be created by hand. Oh well...
This *some* is still about 1100 sprites. Better get drawing
And then the work isn't done, there's a coding side for animations for some houses, toffee quarry and toy factory, that will be a nice thing to address

So, really, I am not kidding, just show me where a tile-set is, and I will try to turn that into a beta-N-E-S-W version.
There you go. Rotate the suff,1100 sprites to go ;-)

One will also have to think about what to do with NewGRF support. They need means to supply the additional rotation and what to do about "old" ones? Probably disallow rotation should one of those be present... NewGRF support won't be a small part of code, either
stefan442
Engineer
Engineer

Post by stefan442 »

Hello all,

Just a quick question, i am trying to download the 32bpp_extra.grf file from http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/32bpp-ex ... es/LATEST/ but the site won't load for me. Maybe its down or updating and i as just being impatient. Are there any alternative links?
Lord Aro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lord Aro »

works for me
but no, there isn't another link (i think)
AroAI - A really feeble attempt at an AI

It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration. --Edsger Dijkstra
betawave
Engineer
Engineer

Post by betawave »

I have been playing now quite a long time now and something I was lacking.

I know there's a separate file with combination of shortcut keys. That's all right. Still, I would find really handful, if in the hovertext of the toolbars would contain the shortcut combination for every command button, besides the information that appairs time-to-time moving your mouse's over these.

So, shortcut-key combination addition in toolbar hover-texts, that I'm suggesting.

Cheers. :]
bw-chx, 87:6 psalm
Pottsy
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Pottsy »

betawave wrote:I have been playing now quite a long time now and something I was lacking.

I know there's a separate file with combination of shortcut keys. That's all right. Still, I would find really handful, if in the hovertext of the toolbars would contain the shortcut combination for every command button, besides the information that appairs time-to-time moving your mouse's over these.

So, shortcut-key combination addition in toolbar hover-texts, that I'm suggesting.

Cheers. :]
It would be hard and a total renewal may required.
Last edited by Pottsy on 09 Sep 2011 18:14, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56094 My screenshots.
Formally know as Pottanda
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

Pottanda wrote:That's not currently possible by newgrfs and a total renewal may required.
It's indeed not possibly by NewGRFs. Than again this topic was never about NewGRFs, so I fail to see the relevance of your reply.

@betawave: Nice suggestion! Not exactly easy to implement, but I like it.
Expresso
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Expresso »

Just a quick thought: on the wiki page related to tgis thread.

Why not attach a page with a short description of why it isn't implemented now or will never be implemented. On that same page links to all threads related to that suggestion which contain a sensible discussion could be maintaineed.

Whenever somebody asks for a feature on the list. This could serve as a nice collection page regarding the idea.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

so you volunteer for this then? great, go ahead.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”