larger airport and some new features.

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

webfreakz.nl
Director
Director
Location: Localhost, 127.0.0.1, [The Netherlands: South Holland-> Westland]

Post by webfreakz.nl »

I like the one of Belugas better because I think it can handle more capacity... but that one need expanding (1 tile) in the direction the runways are facing (W/E), then it will be able to service 1 aircraft landing at the airport and taxiing to the 'loading-point' and it will be able to service 1 aircraft taking off :)
# Programming is like sex, one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life. (Michael Sinz)
belugas
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by belugas »

I like that too!
Advantage : you have two more dockings then on mine. Nice :)
What is that tunnel on west side? Yuo're planning on adding a bus station to the airport? That looks intriguing...
Which runways are for landing and takeoff?
If you are not ready to work a bit for your ideas, it means they don't count much for you.
OpenTTD and Realism? Well... Here are a few thoughs on the matter.
He he he he
------------------------------------------------------------
Music from the Bloody Time Zones
Yoeri
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Yoeri »

I just made a quick draw, don't know which is for take-off, and which is for landing. And the road is just to make it look a bit better... because people should be able to get to the airport itself, don't they? :wink:
belugas
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by belugas »

Yoeri wrote:And the road is just to make it look a bit better... because people should be able to get to the airport itself, don't they? :wink:
Yeah, with the help of a bus station on the side :lol:

To think of it, it would be awesome to have a bus station linked to an airport...
If you are not ready to work a bit for your ideas, it means they don't count much for you.
He he he he
cabbit
Engineer
Engineer

Post by cabbit »

If you stick a bit more space between the runways in Yoeri's design you could convievably get all four runways to be used at once. It's probably the best design that doesn't look REALLY different from the airports we're used to.

But adding ONE extra airport won't solve congestion, even if it serves 4 times the passangers of the international (which is an optimistic assumption... but it will probably be AT LEAST twice as good) this just means that it will take 4 times longer for the airport to get overcongested. At which point you'll be stuck agian.

The only TRUE solution is customizable airports.

By the way... to everyone who complains about airports in the middle of cities being unrealistic:

Don't put them there. Instead place them outside of the city and make busses and trains transfer cargo.

Actually... this might be a way to fix congestion too:

You'd run bus, train transfers into the airport until the airport is at capacity. At that point you stop running any new traffic to the airport, and route it to other destinations instead. You COULD even set up a second airport and transfer cargo to the that airport instead. I think I'm gonna try this in my next game.
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

Yoeri: please update your picture with depots, heliports, also mark where planes land and where planes take off. Take a look at this and start designing airports!
webfreakz.nl
Director
Director
Location: Localhost, 127.0.0.1, [The Netherlands: South Holland-> Westland]

Post by webfreakz.nl »

MeusH wrote:Yoeri: please update your picture with depots, heliports, also mark where planes land and where planes take off. Take a look at this and start designing airports!
404 page not found?
# Programming is like sex, one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life. (Michael Sinz)
belugas
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by belugas »

MeusH wrote:Yoeri: please update your picture with depots, heliports, also mark where planes land and where planes take off. Take a look at this and start designing airports!
hem..... Is it me or is that link not exactly a vaild one ?( ?(
He he he he
Smudge
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Smudge »

It should be turnable too..

so you can choose between:
_________
| |
| |
|________|

or
______
| |
| |
| |
|_____|

depending on the form of the city
Xilef
Engineer
Engineer

O'Hare

Post by Xilef »

I took a look at the airport O'Hare in Chicago, which made me think: Why not having the runways crossing each other and have more room for taxiing airplanes (so that you can have more planes landed at the airport)?

Having runways crossing each other might cause a problem: When an airplane starts/lands on one of them both runways will be blocked. Would it be possible to make each airplane calculate when to start and land without crashing into each other? If so, it would be a nice little flow of airplanes.

It is possible to have the airport formed like something else than a square, isn't it?

One more thing that could speed up it all would be to make small airplanes use mabe only half of the runway and then taxi away to the terminals so that another plane can start/land.

About the terminals: On real international airports the terminals can handle far more planes than 6. Maybe it's an idea to add these "terminal arms" (picture).

I don't mean to have an airport so complex like O'Hare, but I like the idea of thinking in some new different ways. :wink:

I found a website with different airport photos taken from above, if someone wants to get more ideas:
http://www.landrum-brown.com/page.asp?id=108
Attachments
I marked the runways black and the taxiways yellow.
I marked the runways black and the taxiways yellow.
Marked.jpg (190.47 KiB) Viewed 3367 times
O'Hare Airport
O'Hare Airport
O'Hare-Airport.jpg (56.64 KiB) Viewed 3365 times
the "terminal arms" I'm talking about...
the "terminal arms" I'm talking about...
arms.jpg (148.87 KiB) Viewed 3345 times
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

webfreakz.nl wrote:404 page not found?
I think it works only when Darkvater is on-line. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Meush checks IRC channel
There is no Darkvater on the IRC, so I assume he is offline.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Yeah, right.

That's why the 404 page says "Apache Server at darkvater.openttd.org Port 80"

That site is decidedly not down.

I think you need a refresher on what happens when a site is down.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Yoeri
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Yoeri »

I made a more detailed version of my airport, and I am really interested in making some real graphics for OTTD. The airport I draw was still made in paint, but if many of you like it, I might start making some real graphics.

btw....forgot the heliports again...
Attachments
airport.PNG
airport.PNG (16.24 KiB) Viewed 3287 times
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

*rummange*rummage*

Try this link. For me, at least, it works better than the darkvater.openttd.org one.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
belugas
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by belugas »

Thanks DaleStan. For once you're usefull ;)

That is the last piece I need.
I started to look at the feasability to add new airport types.
So far so good, but there are two major things on which I stumble:

1) 6 terminals is a limit. If I want to set some more, should I INSERT the new values on the different arrays/enum or ADD them at htne bottom?

2) There is only one entry point specified, meaning only one landing runway. IF I want to add more then one, I have two choices :
a) keep that entry point as it is, but add a method for checking if it is buzy. Is so, check for another possiblity.
b) add physically on the airport structure OR a linked list of entries OR an array.

Any suggestions?
He he he he
belugas
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by belugas »

Yoeri wrote:btw....forgot the heliports again...
AS well as the depots...
He he he he
Xilef
Engineer
Engineer

Another example

Post by Xilef »

Made a different model as an answer to Yoeri's idea. I'm stuck with the idea of having crossing runways. In reality crossing runways are common.
The bad thing with this airport is that it needs a lot of squares. But thats like in reality too, isn't it?

5 runways
6 Helipads
5 depots
14 loading spots
too many loading spots?

I forgot to paint the taxiway to some runways, but maybe you can figure out where they should be?
Attachments
Small picture.
Small picture.
Version 1.jpg (108.25 KiB) Viewed 3223 times
Bigger picture of another airport model
Bigger picture of another airport model
version 1 stor.jpg (233.01 KiB) Viewed 510 times
mega rail
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mega rail »

how ever big you make a "FIXED" airport it will always be to small.
custom airports would add a lot to the game a challenge to build a good airport in the space you have. much like junction/station building for trains.
belugas
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Another example

Post by belugas »

Xilef wrote:The bad thing with this airport is that it needs a lot of squares. But thats like in reality too, isn't it?
That is why I preferred to get parallel runways.
It is not exactly as in the real world, but when you look at trainstations and the way they are connected with rail newtwork, would you say it is realistic? ;)
He he he he
JimboTG
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JimboTG »

mega rail wrote:how ever big you make a "FIXED" airport it will always be to small.
custom airports would add a lot to the game a challenge to build a good airport in the space you have. much like junction/station building for trains.
Unfortunatley for us there arn't A LOT of people with the time or skill to implement custom airports, I looked into it a little while ago but soon decided that it was way out of my league :? So until someone does decide to give it a bash I will settle for bigger and better airport designs.
I cant put a signature here, I dropped my pen

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”