speed limit also for wagons

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

hovering teacup
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

speed limit also for wagons

Post by hovering teacup »

the title doesn't need more explanation.
its somewhat vital for a realistic gameplay.
ThorRune
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ThorRune »

:shock: NO!

Ihated that in Simutrans, and i'll really HATE that here. Off course, go ahead, but mekie it a switch...
Alcohol is not the answer, it just makes you forget the question.
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

Well it is in TTDPatch if I remember it correctly :). You obviously cannot have a coaltrain go 400km/h...that is just plain wrong.
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
Gorre
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Gorre »

So, make player able to switch it on/off
Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Alltaken »

Darkvater wrote:Well it is in TTDPatch if I remember it correctly :). You obviously cannot have a coaltrain go 400km/h...that is just plain wrong.
why would it be wrong?

the reason its wrong is in real life its not economical, perhaps if it were not economical in OTTD then it would change the gameplay naturally.

Alltaken
hovering teacup
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by hovering teacup »

if ottd 'd have realistic choice in strategy, then it would be like following;

-- the player can choose speed limit for each train within the loco's own speed limit
-- trains cause running cost depending on the speed and weight

so that passenger trains of 600 t can go at 200km/h conveniently, but if you do this with a freight hawler of 2000 t, it would cause you a deficit.

this would be also interesting, but on condition that running cost is more than decupled of TTD's default. I tried to *30 the running cost with the latest TTD Alter, and it still is too easy to earn money...
mbarashkov
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mbarashkov »

Jh yes.
Cargo trains should be slow.
For expample, in Ukraine/Russia top average speed of cargo train is about 15-25 kph. And passenger trains go much faster, surely.
This way we will need express tracks or something like that to combine passenger and freight movement. It'll be definitely more interesting.
stewis
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by stewis »

i hate to admit it but thats the only thing i liked out of loco...
Prof. Frink
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Prof. Frink »

Darkvater wrote:Well it is in TTDPatch if I remember it correctly :). You obviously cannot have a coaltrain go 400km/h...that is just plain wrong.
Not that precisely.
TTDPatch has a switch 'Freighttrains' which makes freight n times heavier (n = 2..255, default 5), slowing trains down.
TTDPatch does not have any speed limits for wagins, so an empty coal train can still fly along.
(A full one can too... If it goes downhill :wink: )
swiitsch
Engineer
Engineer

Post by swiitsch »

Additionally the speed depends on the quality of the tracks. Maybe highspeed and normal tracks should be made. Also tracks should cost maintianance depending on ground prices (All of that has been descussed besfore...)
Celestar
Director
Director

Post by Celestar »

I think it is a good idea, and should be implemented some day.

it also makes no sense to have a coal train running 500km/h. The coal doesn't pay your more because it arrives earlier.

Celestar
Pilatus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Pilatus »

As I'm against micromanagment in all games (only the geeks will stay and play) atleast make it so that the player can choice if he/she want's it or not...
If no end are at hand try your feet...
swiitsch
Engineer
Engineer

Post by swiitsch »

Micro management? I don't see that with speed limits on wagons.
Sionide
Director
Director

Post by Sionide »

Pilatus wrote:atleast make it so that the player can choice if he/she want's it or not...
this is pretty much taken as red on all new features anyway, every time someone suggests something new someone says it should be able to be turned on or off with a switch..

i think this feature will enhance the "realism" of the gameplay but it may get irritating after a while. it's hard to tell without trying it in practice..
...Synthetic Intelligent Organism Normally for Infiltration and Dangerous Exploration...
...sionide.net...
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

I think express railway should be made. It will cost bit more, but trains can go faster (faster delivery=more cash).

It is typical example of economic game. You can pay less money and have smaller profits, you can also pay more for better train\railway and have bigger profits. I think express and standard railways should be made.

About 250km\h coal - it is unreal. At least on standard railway or monorail. I think it should look like this:

max speed = loco's max speed - (train weight in tonnes div 5)

So if train has 150km\h max speed, with 100 tonnes aboard it should have max speed of 130km\h
That's clever, isn't it?

Of course, for all of you, it would be switchable
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

actually this is not very hard to do. When a train starts roling, it asks all units in the train about max speed and power. Since it sees cars as engines with 0 power and max 0 km/h, it skips them. If we alter the max speed, it should work.... maybe with a little bit of work, but it would not be a lot of work

Actually I thought about this idea when I worked on multiheaded engines, but since we currently just have one car for each cargo type, it would ruin the game. We need more cars before it can be of any use
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

MeusH wrote:About 250km\h coal - it is unreal. At least on standard railway or monorail. I think it should look like this:

max speed = loco's max speed - (train weight in tonnes div 5)

So if train has 150km\h max speed, with 100 tonnes aboard it should have max speed of 130km\h
That's clever, isn't it?

Of course, for all of you, it would be switchable
Actually this is not really how it works. Speed limit is based on how long it takes the train to stop. Coal cars (and other freight cars too) have a switch on the brake for "full" and "empty". This allows it to brake more if it is heavy and still not blocking the brakes. The main issue is length of train. There is a time delay in the brake system. We do not talk about millisekunds like in a car, but whole sekunds.... and for long trains, it can be more than half a minute. The problem is if the front of the train brakes A LOT and the rear not at all yet, you can derail the train. This is why long heavy trains have problems braking. They brake a little and when the rear brakes too, they brake more and so on. Also even through the brake switch helps, the fully loaded freight car will not brake as good as a passenger car
Celestar
Director
Director

Post by Celestar »

Bjarni:

That's not how it work for high-speed trains though :) However, for long freight trains it sounds pretty sensible, since most systems are pneumatically powered.

A company in Germany just annouced that they will inaugurate I think the world's first freight service with 200km/h (however that will be used for parcel service).

It makes no sense whatsoever to zoom around coal with 500km/h.

Celestar
swiitsch
Engineer
Engineer

Post by swiitsch »

Thats not entirely true. Because that would be cool coal! :-D
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

Celestar wrote:Bjarni:

That's not how it work for high-speed trains though :) However, for long freight trains it sounds pretty sensible, since most systems are pneumatically powered.

A company in Germany just annouced that they will inaugurate I think the world's first freight service with 200km/h (however that will be used for parcel service).

Celestar
I never claimed it to fit bullettrains, just freight trains with several hundred tons of cargo
And yes, I know how train brakes works. Both pneumatical and electrical :wink:
Pneumatically controlled brakes are the oldest system and because of that, it is installed in all freight cars. Modern brake systems are based on electrical signals so there aren't that delay and the power to brake are still based on air pressure, but it opens a lot of valves at the same time to start braking at the same time (instantly). The only problem is that it is expensive and rather new, so it is for newly build passenger trains only. USA are developing a system for their freight trains, but AFAIK they have not started using it yet.
The time delay for braking is roughly 1 sec/20 meters of train. This means that a train driving 200 km/h and is 600 meters, it will drive 1,6 km before the last car is braking (from the place where the brake was pulled). This is why no train of that length drive that fast in real life.

If the train was driving 500 km/h and still is 600 meters long, it will travel 4,2 km instead before the last car starts braking. That's pretty unrealistic that any government will allow that

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”