Company-side Vehicle Rename

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Fairyfloss
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Company-side Vehicle Rename

Post by Fairyfloss »

So, I have no idea if it's been suggested before or asked about (I did a quick search but didn't find anything).

Would it be possible for renamed vehicle models to be company-side instead of game-side?
Right now if you rename a vehicle model it gets renamed for everyone, not just for the company that renamed it. Would changing this be possible, or not?

To clarify, I'm talking about renaming in the build/purchase menu, not the consist renaming thing. See the image as an example.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (20.56 KiB) Viewed 2171 times
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Re: Company-side Vehicle Rename

Post by PikkaBird »

Isn't this entirely client-side? (ie, you'll see everyone's vehicles of this model renamed, but no-one else will see your custom names?)
Fairyfloss
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Fairyfloss »

PikkaBird wrote: 15 Oct 2019 03:16 Isn't this entirely client-side? (ie, you'll see everyone's vehicles of this model renamed, but no-one else will see your custom names?)
From what I've tested, no. If I rename something as one company in Multiplayer, it also gains that name for other companies.
Red is host, they renamed the vehicle. Pink then gets the vehicle's name too.
Red is host, they renamed the vehicle. Pink then gets the vehicle's name too.
Capture2.PNG (13.7 KiB) Viewed 1964 times
...in fact, if a non-host tries to rename a vehicle, they get kicked, apparently for using a server-only command.
Poor Pink tried to rename. Got kicked.
Poor Pink tried to rename. Got kicked.
Capture3.PNG (1.62 KiB) Viewed 1964 times
Personally the ideal way this would work is not as how you described it, but close. You'd see other people's vehicles named the way they named them, to allow people to customize their companies just that little bit more.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

sounds to me like renaming shouldn't have been possible in multiplayer in the first place, but it's probably a rarely used feature and wasn't noticed that it's broken.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”